STAR TREK 2d20

Visibility and map tiles seems buggy.

Very new user here, so very possible this is a user issue not a program issue.

I have a map that I want to add pit trap tiles to as tile layers. I have seen other threads where people say to use trap tokens instead (ie set them up as npc's/encounters), but I don't like that option for a few reasons (don't want to clutter CT, want to leave them permanently on the map if found/tripped, you can't lock a token on the map, etc...). Anyway, after watching youtube vids and reading the wiki I thought I had this figured out. I created some nice pit trap images from web clippings and imported to the campaign, then set them up as tile stamps and placed them on the map. So I then had a hallway with 6 separate pit traps placed and locked.

I then set each visibility to the 'eye' option with the map editor layer tools and tested by joining the campaign as a player on my laptop. so far so good, no traps visible. Then I select the 'eye and little person on it' icon (dunno what it's called, but assume it means players can see it), and sure enough my player could suddenly see the trap. I did this for the rest of the tile layers and went ahead and placed all the different trap layers throughout the map.

Come game day, however, when the actual players were on the map toggling the visibility options on the map had zero effect.. I simply could not turn the trap layers visible no matter what. We happened to quit at that time and I went to look at it the next day with one of the players connected to help me troubleshoot (they found a trap). When I opened the game one of the layers that I had been playing with was suddenly visible to the player (it was the only one with the eye and little guy icon selected still). I hadn't done anything except quit the game and restart later. However, while he was there I could not get the other traps visible to him.

Since we were playing with everyone shortly after that I just decided to create the traps as NPC's with the image as the token. Sure enough I screwed something up and added one to the map with the wrong visibility setting and the players saw it - exactly why I wanted to just use the layers (you can easily see very quickly what the visibility settings are).

Anyway, hopefully there's something that can be done with the layer option. Anyone have any insight on what I'm doing wrong? I will say that I had 4 players joined (with 2 characters each), and we have had resource issues where the game is non-responding or stuttering. But the game seemed to be running fine at that point.

*** Should have added that we are playing 2E Ruleset***
    Last edited by Pankot; May 31st, 2020 at 02:21. Reason: clarifying info

Thread Information