STAR TREK 2d20

FGC - Initiative card

Is it possible to not automatically reveal initiative cards when they are dealt? When a player is dealt multiple cards, I have set card dealing to All to enable the players to see all of the cards dealt to them, but is it possible to block that from the GM?

Quote Originally Posted by ApesAmongUs View Post
    Is it possible to not automatically reveal initiative cards when they are dealt? When a player is dealt multiple cards, I have set card dealing to All to enable the players to see all of the cards dealt to them, but is it possible to block that from the GM?
    I am not sure I understand this one...

You want the player's to be able to see their initiative cards, but not let the GM?

That would also mean the combat tracker would have to be "broken" as it auto-sorts initiative based on dealt cards...

The closet you get to that at the moment would be the poker table in the deadlands ruleset (though it has been years since I used that so functionality might have changed).
    My players just defeated an army, had a dogfight with aliens, machine-gunned the zombies, stormed the tower, became Legendary and died heroically

Yours are still on combat round 6

Get Savage
    Ultimate License Holder.
    First GM to post a game for the original FG Con!

I'd like to understand the need

Firewalling assistance, basically. I don't do the thing where you deal the cards face up and then just go in order. I do a countdown and players jump in when their card comes up. That way we are making decisions without knowing exactly when everyone is going.

That doesn't matter a tremendous amount except that (and this goes heavily into house rules territory) I don't require the players (or myself for NPCs) to act immediately when their card comes up. You can always act later by revealing the card - in effect having been on hold. So, if you're going to attempt a rush from cover towards the gunner, you never know if you are going to make it there or if they are on hold and thus able to interrupt you with a shot while you are out in the open. Also handy for players trying to coordinate a combined action that requires timing during combat; although, that doesn't really benefit much from them being hidden.

Quote Originally Posted by ApesAmongUs View Post
    That doesn't matter a tremendous amount except that (and this goes heavily into house rules territory) I don't require the players (or myself for NPCs) to act immediately when their card comes up. You can always act later by revealing the card - in effect having been on hold. So, if you're going to attempt a rush from cover towards the gunner, you never know if you are going to make it there or if they are on hold and thus able to interrupt you with a shot while you are out in the open. Also handy for players trying to coordinate a combined action that requires timing during combat; although, that doesn't really benefit much from them being hidden.
    Or you just go on hold when you card number comes up and use the interrupt rules in Savage Worlds?

Just curious in the logic really, not criticising just interested...
    My players just defeated an army, had a dogfight with aliens, machine-gunned the zombies, stormed the tower, became Legendary and died heroically

Yours are still on combat round 6

Get Savage
    Ultimate License Holder.
    First GM to post a game for the original FG Con!

But then everyone knows you are on hold, which can affect strategic choices. Like I said here - "So, if you're going to attempt a rush from cover towards the gunner, you never know if you are going to make it there or if they are on hold and thus able to interrupt you with a shot while you are out in the open." In the official system, you can know with 100% certainty that you will not be interrupted, but in mine you can never know (unless everyone has already acted). That changes the way you evaluate your options.

Yeah...I understand. Sometimes, (in face to face) at the beginning of the game I try to deal the cards facedown or at leaat behind my screen for the NPCs just for that sense of the unknown but usually by the end they are all up and in the open

Thread Information