5E Character Create Playlist

What is the fundamental difference between a module vrs an extension?

Greetings,

I have been using FG intensively since August. I love it. From what I understand it seems that extensions can be used across all rule-sets. Modules are campaign specific.

Is this correct? Is there other element to what make both unique?

No, extensions can be ruleset specific and mosules can be system agnostic. For extensions it all depends on what the extension does. If the extension does something to CoreRPG then any ruleset based on CoreRPG (5e, 3.5, PF etc) will be affected by the extension. Otherwise an extension can be specifically written to affect something only in a particular ruleset.

This also applies to modules. Most token modules and map modules for example are ruleset agnostic. They can be opened in any ruleset. However most modules are ruleset specific.

The difference between an extension and a module is that an extension affects the ruleset in some way. Modules are basically just data files which contain stories, NPCs and other things which you use to run adventures or create characters etc.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Extensions = code. They change the look/feel of a ruleset. A theme is an extension, for example.

Modules = data. Stuff you access via the buttons down the right side of your desktop.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Ah that really helps clarify. While not needed, the 'death' extension we have for 5E also works very well (including the lovely red splat) for Pathfinder 2E.

Modules > like Shades Drag n Drop help with the rules.

Quote Originally Posted by Larsenex View Post
    Ah that really helps clarify. While not needed, the 'death' extension we have for 5E also works very well (including the lovely red splat) for Pathfinder 2E.

Modules > like Shades Drag n Drop help with the rules.
    Right, like Z said, that's because it works with Core, and most of the rulesets are built on Core. When you get into an extension that uses something only a specific ruleset has, then it gets limited. Thanks to Core, Fantasy Grounds can be quite game agnostic and work with almost anything, even a boardgame.

One other difference no one mentioned: You can make your own modules using FG itself (enter your data into the relevant fields and then use the export function). Extensions you create outside FG.

Thread Information