DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 3 of 6 First 12345 ... Last
    Quote Originally Posted by bkyrlach View Post
    The only option I see for adding actions requires it to be either a weapon attack (which doesn't track proficiency), a spell, or a focus spell. If you know of a way to add something as basic as Hunt Prey, then you're smarter than I am.
    Seems to me that everything you're trying to achieve, ppl has already done in a way.

I suggest you take a look at (SR) Bestiary and (SR) Drag 'n Drop modules. Both have a lot of automation already set... Hunt prey is only one of it. It has all classes powers and abilities (that can be automated somehow) done.
    I has sneak attack damage rolling everytime the enemy is flat-footed, multiattack bonus for hunter's flurry... etc.
    Even without those modules, you can search wiki and apply your own custom effects.

I'm not sure, but i think no vtt has the power to select multiple targets of a spell (like fireball), roll all saves and apply the effects (or damage) at once, just like FG.

Again, my biggest issue is that it's half automated, but won't let me edit the things that are wrong. I don't care that it's not calculating my wifes longbow proficiency correctly. But it's both wrong enough to be useless, and completely un-editable. Here's an example I used in a PM with another kind forum user who's trying to help out.

Currently, for my wifes ranger, FG...

Does add her DEX bonus
    Doesn't add her proficiency bonus
    Does add (subtract?) MAP
    Doesn't take into account Hunter's Edge - Flurry

To explain to her what she has to do in order to use the action on her character sheet to actually produce the right number in Fantasy Grounds, if this is her second attack against her hunted prey as a level 2 ranger.

She has to add +2 for TRAINED
    She has to add +2 for her level
    She has to add +1 to compensate for the incorrectly calculated MAP

Obviously, without FG, she has to do all of the number crunching herself. However, she doesn't have to balance the mental gymnastics of what stuff FG is or isn't doing correctly, and how correctly it is or isn't doing it.
    This is how you do it:

1. Click the magnifying glass icon to open the details/edit window
    2. Click on the proficiency button to cycle through untrained, Trained, etc.. Hover over the button to get instructions.
    3. Modify the MAP as required.

Oh, and it's not +2 per level, it's +1 per level. FG will keep you right with that!

When I said that weapon proficiencies will be automated in the future, I was talking about automatically working out what proficiency level to apply when a weapon is added to a PC. I wasn't saying that there isn't a way to apply a proficiency level (and auto calculate the correct proficiency bonus). But you do have to apply that proficiency level by manually clicking the button (#2 in the screenshot above).

I really feel that 90% of the issues you're having are lack of familiarity with FG, and you're not the first one to experience this! You've obviously got to a point of frustration where you say things like "But it's both wrong enough to be useless, and completely un-editable." - whereas the info above shows that this is not the case. Lots of people have replied to this thread to try to help you - even after you said you were asking for a refund. Please don't take this being patronizing, but I think a lot of your frustration and disappointment is coming from not knowing how to do something and then automatically assuming it can't be done. As you've seen, the community is very friendly and willing to help. Maybe a quick post asking "Hey, I can't work out how to edit a weapon and adjust the proficiency and MAP. Any pointers please?" would help to reduce the frustration you're experiencing. Just a friendly recommendation...

There are currently close to 5,000 sessions a month being ran on FG using the PF2 ruleset - and very few complaints that I see. The numbers wouldn't be at this level, and the complaints would be high, if the ruleset and DLC was as bad as you appear to think. Like has been said a few times in this thread, give FG some time. There's a lot to it and a lot to learn. But, if you're wanting to play PF2 games online with your friends, most people find spending time to learn FG and the ruleset time well spent...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Trenloe; May 28th, 2020 at 08:15.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

There's lots of info about adding actions to the PC sheet in this thread: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...ers-and-Spells See the "Guide to Spell Tab Use" link in post #1.

The "(SR)Drag_N_Drop.mod" (a FG data module, not a video file - install it in your <FG app data>\modules directory) attached to post #1 gives lots of examples of how to set up powers and abilities. The Ranger Hunt Prey and Hunter's Edge: Flurry abilities are in there.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

I didn't see that magnifying glass. That was really helpful. I can look into that addon at some point.

So, I've made a little progress. I ran a sample combat last night. Here are two things that came up last night.

1) How can I track status effects on monsters and player characters?
    2) I randomly added an Ettin to the encounter last night. According to the PF2E Bestiary, it should have had two entries in the initiative tracker, one for each head. I'm sure this is an issue where the automation isn't quite there yet, but how would I go about managing that scenario?
    3) Where would you track things like alchemical formulas and snare schematics?

1) How can I track status effects on monsters and player characters?
    2) I randomly added an Ettin to the encounter last night. According to the PF2E Bestiary, it should have had two entries in the initiative tracker, one for each head. I'm sure this is an issue where the automation isn't quite there yet, but how would I go about managing that scenario?
    3) Where would you track things like alchemical formulas and snare schematics?
    1) Use effects in the CT. Information here: https://fantasygroundsunity.atlassia...PFRPG2+Effects You can add effects to an action/ability/spell on the PC or NPC actions/spells tab via the right-click menu -> add action -> add effect. Also, if a condition, you can drag/click the effect button in the left side of the Effects window (click on the Elvis icon in the top right of the desktop to open the global effects window.
    2) I doubt anything this niche will ever be automated. Just add a dummy entry into the CT (via the right-click menu) for the second init slot.
    3) Track them either in the inventory, or setup a "spell" class and add them to there. I do have plans for better tracking of formulas but that won't be out for a while.
    Last edited by Trenloe; May 30th, 2020 at 09:04. Reason: Added more info on effects

One of the things that was most helpful to me in learning to take full advantage of the program is realizing that "spell classes" are kind of poorly named (I see this confusion come up a lot, Trenloe; is it worth changing?). Think of them instead as "action packages". Each "spell class" contains a group of actions, which don't have to be spells.

If a character has an at-will ability, that is a "cantrip". If a character has an ability that can be used 3 times per day, give it to them as a 1st-level spell, prepared 3 times. Since in 2e DCs are not affected by spell level, what "level" you assign it to doesn't actually matter. The system will let you make the default DC for a spell class based on anything (click the magnifying glass), so for a Barbarian you can give them a class that has DCs based on Strength and put all of their abilities that use their class DC into that "spell class".

For alchemist formula, by far the best way I have found is to treat it exactly like Wizard spells, except all of their spells are "level 1". Make it a prepared spell class (you can click the book/star symbol to switch between prepared and spontaneous), add all of the formula they know, and then prepare the ones they make at the start of the day. Have a separate ability - maybe in level 2 "spells" - for Quick Alchemy with the correct number of daily uses there.

Alternatively, you could create a separate spontaneous "spell class" for quick alchemy and mark abilities as "cast" when the items are created.

Having been myself in the position of having a bunch of players who were very leery about switching to Fantasy Grounds, I will agree with another poster here and say what worked best for me was to do everything I could for my players - create their characters, get their actions set up in advance, etc - and then slowly introduce them to customizing things themselves as they become comfortable with it.

Maybe this is where that addon helps, but just creating a spell casting class in the actions tab doesn't let me drag formulae and other various things over. I guess I could manually create entries for things...

To get that to work, you need to Target the creature that you're going to apply the effect to before casting the spell. If it's an AoE spell, just target everything it would affect, click on the Save or Attack button (the d20) and the system will automatically untarget everything that wouldn't be affected, then click the icon next to the spell effect to actually apply it to the remaining targets. There are still a few things that aren't fully automated yet (like Magic Weapon), but the program does handle a lot of the heavy lifting for you overall.

Maybe this is where that addon helps, but just creating a spell casting class in the actions tab doesn't let me drag formulae and other various things over. I guess I could manually create entries for things...
    This is definitely where ShadeRaven's work shines, yeah. He created "spell" entries for all those things so that you can drag n drop them over (hence the name of the module). Otherwise, you do have to manually create entries. But with him having already done the work for free, why do it over?

Thread Information