STAR TREK 2d20
Page 5 of 6 First ... 3456 Last
    I know that you're frustrated. But I'm frustrated also - your posts seem more like venting than actually asking for help - you throw around "useless" and other negative terms, and generalize at a very high level. When looking from the outside it seems that a lot of your issues are because you don't know how to do things, or have an unrealistic expectation (again, due to lack of knowledge of the system). And it gets even more frustrating when you post the same type of stuff, despite many people giving you recommendations and pointing you to examples of how to do things. I don't want to put words in @theMaXX's mouth, but I'm guessing that's where some of their frustration comes from too.

I made a suggestion before, and I'll say it again - if you're asking for help, please be very specific with what you're looking for. Ask "how do I" (and be specific) so that people can be specific in their help back. Your post earlier today came across more as a vent/rant than an actual request for help. OK, there were a couple of items in there, but you were so general that it meant neither I, nor theMaXX, could you give specific help - hence we just essentially repeated what has been said before.

Now that you've detailed a good example, your issues with heal, we can hopefully point you in the right direction. Thanks for that!

Unfortunately, I don't have time right now. But I'd recommend you look at how ShadeRaven implemented heal in his module. Also, a tip, you do realise you can have multiple action button attached to each spell? You don't have to try to make everything possible happen with one button. I'm guessing this might be part of your issue?

Re NPC spells. It would be impossible to put everything that an NPC can do within the combat tracker itself. Click the link button to the right of the NPC line in the combat tracker to open the NPC record sheet - then go to the Spells tab to access the spell info and actions. This is what I meant when I said "monster spells work the same as PCs - on the spells tab of the NPC record"

Hope those couple of pointers help you move forwards.

Please come back with any questions. And, please, be very specific about what you're asking and try to phrase your questions along the lines of "How do I?". Thanks!
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Sorry if my posts today have come across as patronising or overly blunt. We want to help you, we really want to help you. And we know that the vast majority of what you want to do can be done - but you have to learn how to do it, it won't magically do it for you. That's where our frustration comes from - many people have given you great advice in this thread, but 5 pages in and we don't see a large amount of that advice being taken. Sorry if you have taken the advice on board (you mention using the Wiki effects, which is great), but it doesn't look like you've looked in any depth at the ShadeRaven module - which is one of the main things that will help you see what's possible with effects and actions (sorry to beat on about this). Ultimately, you're an adult and can do what you want. But any help will soon dry up if people are seeing the conversation being pretty much one way. This of course, assumes you've come to the forums asking for the community to try to help you. Which I assume you have, otherwise I wouldn't be spending my free time trying to help.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

If it helps, let me walk you through step-by-step how the Divine Font Heal spell would be set up if you wanted to do it from scratch, without any modules or extension.

• Go to the Actions page of the character sheet.
    • Click the brown circle-with-a-slash in the lower right.
    • Click the blue star to create a new spell class.
    • Name the spell class something like "Special Abilities" or just "Divine Font"
    • Click the book symbol next to the name to turn it into a star - this switches from prepared caster to spontaneous caster. Clerics are prepared casters in general, of course, but for abilities that are a set number of uses per day like Divine Font, setting it to spontaneous will make it easier to track daily uses.
    • Click the grey box below "Ability" until it says Wis, since Clerics use Wisdom for the save DC of their abilities.
    • Click the grey box below "Proficiency" until it matches the proficiency of the Cleric's spellcasting.
    • Click the grey box below "Tradition" until it says "Divine"
    • In the list of spells per day (C 1 2 3...), leave most of them at 0 but click on the box for 1st level spells and type the number of uses per day of Divine Font the cleric has. Divine Font won't always be 1st level of course, but since spell level doesn't affect save DC in 2e it doesn't actually matter what level you use.
    • Optional - set the caster level (CL) in the upper right to the cleric's level.
    • In the new "level 1" grey bar that has appeared, click the green + button to add a new spell.
    • Name the spell "Divine Font Heal" or something like that.

Now you need to figure out the spell actions you need. Heal has several things it can do to a target: It can heal for Xd8 damage, it can heal for Xd8+8X damage, or it can damage for Xd8 damage with a basic Will save. Since targeting (other than target self) isn't handled in spell actions, we don't need to worry about how many targets are needed, so we'll just create each of those actions.

• Right click on the spell, click "add spell action", and then click "add heal"
    • Click the magnifying glass next to the new spell action.
    • Drag a d8 from your dice into the "heal" window.
    • There are two ways you can do this. You can either drag additional d8s until you have the right number, or if you set the caster level above you can click on the grey box below "dice multiplier" until it says "odd CLs". This will give the action one die for each odd caster level (1, 3, 5, 7, etc) the spell class has. Since odd levels are the levels at which Heal heightens, that's perfect.
    • Close the "heal" window.
    • Right click on the spell again and add another heal action. Give it the same d8 dice, but this time in the grey box right after the + symbol (fourth grey box, starting from the left) type in the amount of extra healing that the 2-action version of heal grants. If you did the caster level, then instead type 8 and set the next box also to "odd CLs", since that will again make the math work out.

Now, for the damage action, this is actually two actions - first a saving throw (which is called a "cast" action), and then damage. So:

• Right click on the spell, "add spell action", and then "add cast".
    • Click the magnifying glass next to the new action.
    • Under "Save", click the left grey box until it says "Will". The other box says "Spell DC" which is correct - Heal uses the cleric's own spell DC for the save.
    • Click the "damage" box under "On Save" so that it says "half on success". This sets the save to be a basic save.
    • Close the "cast" window.
    • Right click -> add spell action -> add damage.
    • Create the damage exactly the same way you did for the first heal action. This time, however, you also need to type in a damage type underneath the dice. Type "positive", without quotes, there.

And that's it, you are all set up. Click the brown circle-with-a-slash again to get out of edit mode, click the magnifying glass next to the spell itself to hide the spell actions, and then at the bottom of the actions page click the grey box that says "summary" to change it to "actions" so you can see shortcuts to the actions you created.

To actually use the spell, here are some examples:
    • One action heal: Drag the Xd8 heal action on to the character (either token or combat tracker entry) that is being healed.
    • Two action heal: Drag the Xd8+X heal action on to the character that is being healed.
    • Three action heal: Set the targets for the person casting the spell so that they are targeting everyone being healed. Click (not drag) the Xd8 heal action to heal them all.
    • Damaging a single undead creature: Drag the "cast" action on to the creature (either token or combat tracker entry). Then, once the save has been rolled, drag the damage action on to the same creature; it will automatically adjust the damage based on the save.
    • Damaging a group of undead creatures: Set the targets for the person casting the spell so that they are targeting every creature being damaged. Click (not drag) the "cast" action, wait for the rolls, and then click the damage action. The damage will be applied correctly to each target.

If the caster is doing a three-action heal that is both healing allies AND damaging undead, you have to resolve the healing and the damage as separate steps (the "negative healing" ability doesn't have automation yet). First target allies and click the Xd8 heal action. Then clear targets, target enemies, click the cast action, and then click the damage action.

And of course, each time the cleric casts heal, you or they click one of the bubbles that indicates uses per day to mark it off.

Heal is one of the more complicated spells to set up but is totally possible to automate, as you see above. Working through this should hopefully give you a good handle on automating other spells.
    Last edited by MaxAstro; June 6th, 2020 at 19:49.

This tutorial was super helpful MaxAstro for setting up my dwarf cleric. I created a "Divine Font" spellcasting class and dragged Heal into the 1st level slot, set to spontaneous (agreed, seems an easier way to track these bonus spell slots!), added in the additional abilities based on the number of actions used to cast, etc. Now, my question is, how do I get this new "spellcasting class" to stay visible when I switch to "Combat" view? Because right now, from Standard and Preparation its fine, but when I switch to Combat, my Divine Font class disappears. Do I need to select something, or is it because its a "custom" class?

Many thanks!
    Charles

A spellcasting class will typically disappear from Combat view if none of the spells associated with it have any uses per day left. Try doing a Rest from the right click menu and see if it comes back. If not, double check that you have a non-zero number of castings per day for that spell level.

Will do. I just created the character so I doubt rest is an issue, and I have the two bonus "slots" (castings) for Heal I set up when in Preparation view. But, yeah, I must be missing something. I'll check and report back. Many thanks.

For your review...

I think everything checks out. Here are two screen shots that show what I'm talking about.
    Standard_view.png
    Combat_view.png

Quote Originally Posted by Duke of Shao View Post
    I think everything checks out.
    I'm unclear - are you saying the issue is still there, or that you're OK now?
    Last edited by Trenloe; June 11th, 2020 at 18:53.

I see the problem. When using spontaneous casting, you don't need to mark the spells as prepared. Instead, when you click on the circle, you indicate that you've already cast the spell, which is why it doesn't show up when you switch over to combat mode. Just unclick the circles and you'll be good to go.

The circles have three possible graphics indicating the available/used state of the spell:
    • Greyed out, means that they haven't been prepared, this won't show for a spontaneous spell class.
    • Dark, but not checked/ticket - this means they've been prepared (if relevant) and are available to use.
    • Checked/ticked - this means they've been used.

Only available spells, spells with at least one circle in the available state (the middle bullet above), will show when in Combat mode.

Thread Information