Page 1 of 2 12 Last

How I slayed the Router Beast

I *almost* don't recommend this, because I'm still not sure why it works. In fact there's probbaly like 90 reasons this is a bad idea. But I got it working.

I have a Linksys WRT54GS router.

I set up static DNS for everything beyond the router and did everything by the book. I even got on to Linksys Tech support and had them walk me through it. I set up Static IPs, and port forwarding.

Linksys technician: ".. and thats all it should need.."

It didn't work.

I tried putting my computer in the DMZ.

Friend: "Yeah, that'll do it. That basicaly puts the whole computer out there.. That'll totally do it.."

It didn't work.

Other guy: "Hey, it's probably the Windows Firewall. You know how you have a firewall on the router AND on the computer? Just turn the Laptops firewall off. Should be ok, just for the game..."

I tried turning the whole firewall off.

It didn't work.

I am getting majorly upset, right? I turn all that stuff back on. So I'm not in the DMZ, my firewall is back on. I'm back to normal.

So I started fiddling with my router, and trying different things. I was kinda frustrated by this time, having completely knocked my internet connection offline a few times, and I even had to reset my router once.

I stuck the IP that was showing up as my Internet IP (as shown on canyouseeme.org) into the last of my Static DNS slots as well as the WINS slot.

I think it's the WINS slot that does it.

Suddenly FG works. CanYouSeeMe.org shows success. I can still surf the internet AND my firewalls and crap are all still on.

Why is this?

I have no idea. I backed up the configuration I used, and I'll just go back to my normal config when the game is over, but man! That was crazy stuff. At least I got FG working, though.
    Last edited by Pseckler; April 6th, 2007 at 03:32.

(edited: I went to bed, I'll get a proper test tomorrow).

But I have a good feeling!
    Last edited by Pseckler; April 6th, 2007 at 04:36.

Do let us know

It took me ages to sort out my router !
    Ad augusta per angusta

FG Con 12 – Fantasy Grounds Online RPG Convention - April 13-15 2018
    Register at www.fg-con.com for all the latest info.

If your'e still up, give me a ping at :

epic monk firm pony

I'd especially be interested if you tried to logon but couldn't. (I'm kinda panicking one day before my scheduled run!)

It totally worked before, and http://canyouseeme.org reports success, but I would like a warm fuzzy feeling from an actual logon.

malovech? Did it work? I noticed you logging on, but I never saw your icon appear.

Quote Originally Posted by Pseckler
    If your'e still up, give me a ping at :

epic monk firm pony

I'd especially be interested if you tried to logon but couldn't. (I'm kinda panicking one day before my scheduled run!)

It totally worked before, and http://canyouseeme.org reports success, but I would like a warm fuzzy feeling from an actual logon.
    Connected without issue.

EDIT: FG crashed while downloading all those tokens, you might not want to share as many. Not sure what file exactly caused the crash. Your ruleset downloaded fine and I did login to the server, so your network is setup properly.

If I move (most of) my tokens from tokens/shared to tokens/host, does that fix that? That's what I'm doing right now.

I'm going to go re-read that section.

Yeah, that'll fix that. That way they are only shared on a "Need to have" basis.
    For your Ars Magica needs :
    https://fgrepository.com

Atque in perpetuum frater, Ave atque vale.

Yeah... I ended up with a ton of top down WWII (or something like that) tokens when I connect to Oberoten. I deleted them and then I ended up getting them all again when I connected to him the next time! Token spam!!

Still working those long hours Oberoten?

rv

And finally doing as I preach... I too moved those to the host folder. (I thought I had placed them there the first time, Agh. )

For some reason though... this lead to the bags being shown as unmarked in the tokenbox. Hmpppfh.
    For your Ars Magica needs :
    https://fgrepository.com

Atque in perpetuum frater, Ave atque vale.

Thread Information