STAR TREK 2d20

Item generation from story template

Hey there fellow Dungeon Crawlers,

I'm about to start a new 5e campaign with a few players and found a beautiful link in my older preparation notes.

This link basically is an elaborate spreadsheet that randomly generates a potion - with random effects, looks, smell, pricing etc. etc.
    I liked this idea so much, that I started implementing it into FantasyGrounds. Since I didn't know my way around FG too well, i read up a lot on how to do this and it seems the best option would be a story template.
    I'm far from done, yet the first tests seem to work just fine to create potions with randomly generated properties.

PotionGenerator.JPG

The only downside to this is: it is just text. If my players pick it up i have to create the potion myself by hand every time.

Now you can probably guess my question: Is there a way to generate an item from the generated story? It wouldn't have to do much, just create a potion with some of the descriptions and the gold value.

I don't assume FG itself is able to do this, but maybe there is an extension that would allow such a thing?

Thanks for your input and sorry if this post ended up being in the wrong category...

-camou
    Last edited by c4mouflage; May 26th, 2020 at 17:34. Reason: added screenshot

Blog Entries
    Take a look at the Trinkets link in my signature. Not the OP, but later on in that thread someone (sorry I can't remember who) converted that to a table that actually creates items that can be dragged to inventory. They don't have all the capabilities of items, but they have more than just a story template will give you.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

No, you can't create an item from a table or from a story template. You would need to create all of the items and then use the table to randomly select one.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Thank you for your quick replies! I checked out the mod in LordEntrails post. While this table is pretty cool and will definitely find it's use in my campaign, it just underlines what Zacchaeus said in his post: it rolls an item from a predefined list.
    Sadly, pregenerating all of these items is basically impossible, given the fact the the color property of the potions alone has more than 800 variations.
    But that's fine. Then i will have to create the potions by hand, after the random generation.
    I will drop the idea of item creation based on a complex template into FGU's idea collection though. Maybe we are lucky and will get such a functionality in the distant future.

Thanks again for your quick help

-camou

This, is a very interesting idea.

I do almost exactly the same thing (generating random potion effects from multiple tables and create a story from a story template).

Here are a couple of things to consider:

1) Make 20-30 potions. Put them into a table and roll from that subset when you need a potion. When the table starts to get low, add more between sessions.
    2) Make a generic potion item to use as a template. Make a copy when you want someone to have one of your unique potions. Drag the story of the potion into the description field of the item. Players can click the link and get the info needed.

Hopefully one, or both, of these work ideas are useful. (I use both.)
    Fantasy Grounds Unity Lives! Good job, Smiteworks!

I bet I could figure out how to get a story template to create an item. If I didn’t already have 100 projects going! Maybe in the future

Thread Information