DICE PACKS BUNDLE

Having trouble with matching map grids

So, there are many things I do less than ideally on Fantasy grounds. But perhaps the most persistent and the one that bugs me the most is the grids on maps. I am not very artistically talented or very good at investing the time to learn new things. As a results I can't really use Gimp or Photoshop. I do however make use of some cheaper map tools that let you build maps square by square. As such the maps I use already have a grid on them. But when I do to try to use them in Fantasy Grounds I can't get the grids to line up so my players are stuck seeing two grids that don't match spread acrossgetting more and more mismatched to the point it's just a visual fustercluck.

Is there any particular trick to resolving this? I know the maps I make are semetrical. It's just that I can't get FG to match up.

Not sure if it will help with your maps, but try this to adjust the maps to have grid squares that are exactly square and an exact number of pixels so that the FG grid will line up almost perfectly:
    https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...read.php?19813

The tool @gamerhawaii links is very useful.

If you know the grids are symmetrical (and if they really are) then you should be able to get them to match. Do you know how many pixels per grid square the maps are? If so, in FG zoom in on your map and start drawing your grid very close to one of the easily visible squares - make sure you draw it so that it is exactly the pixel value shown in the number in the middle of the green square. Then, show the image toolbar (if it's not already shown) and click on the # button to show the grid toolbar. Here you can nudge the grid left/right and up/down. If you image is symmetrical and has a fixed grid size then you should be able to get it to match exactly using this method.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Blog Entries
    The secret, imo, is when you save/export the map that you make sure you save the file with an even number of pixels per 5 ft square. FGC can't handle fractional pixel grids so the grid won't fit and it will drift you your map ends up being 62.75 pixels per grid, or anything else like that is not a whole number.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe View Post
    The tool @gamerhawaii links is very useful.

If you know the grids are symmetrical (and if they really are) then you should be able to get them to match. Do you know how many pixels per grid square the maps are? If so, in FG zoom in on your map and start drawing your grid very close to one of the easily visible squares - make sure you draw it so that it is exactly the pixel value shown in the number in the middle of the green square. Then, show the image toolbar (if it's not already shown) and click on the # button to show the grid toolbar. Here you can nudge the grid left/right and up/down. If you image is symmetrical and has a fixed grid size then you should be able to get it to match exactly using this method.
    This was the solution I needed, the ability to walk the grid instead of trying to eyeball it on one tile and hope it fits the rest. That and knowing my tiles are exactly 64 pixels helps for sure.

Thread Information