wireless router hosting problems

So, I'm trying to host a Fantasy Grounds game, but I'm having connection problems.

I can connect to other games, and my roommates can connect to me, however nobody else can connect.

I'm using wireless internet, I turn zonealarm off, and Windows firewall is off. I think my problem is that since I'm connecting to my ISP's router via wireless, I can't get at it to set up port forwarding. If so, Am I hosed?

Quote Originally Posted by pepeshka
    So, I'm trying to host a Fantasy Grounds game, but I'm having connection problems.

I can connect to other games, and my roommates can connect to me, however nobody else can connect.

I'm using wireless internet, I turn zonealarm off, and Windows firewall is off. I think my problem is that since I'm connecting to my ISP's router via wireless, I can't get at it to set up port forwarding. If so, Am I hosed?
    Wireless should have nothing to do with it. Sounds like you're not forwarding port 1802 against the Internet at all or not correctly.

Check out the FAQ page under Networking for clues as to what might be wrong. Don't give up so quickly.

http://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/faq.php

I can't get at it to set up port forwarding
    This is almost certainly your problem. Anyone connecting remotely needs your internet IP number, not your local IP number, and port forwarding connects the two together. It's like trying to call someone at an office where you know the extension number but not the actual telephone number.

A lot of wirless routers have to have a direct ethernet conneciton to do configuration (although not all of them are like this). Do you know the manufacturer/model number?

I don't know the router model number, it's nailed to the outside of my apt. complex. I connect with a little wireless card, a Linksys to be specific.

So yeah, apon talking with my ISP I found out they don't block any ports. However, I can't get at the router to forward ports.

We can get the game running by using Hamachi, but it's a pain. Any other ideas?

Do you own the router and know the administration password on it? If you own it and don't know it, check the manual.

If you don't own it then you are going to have to get the owner to specially allow port 1802 to forward to your computer.

However, I can't get at the router to forward ports.

We can get the game running by using Hamachi, but it's a pain. Any other ideas?
    If you can't forward the port on the rounter on the side of your apartmetnt you are going to need to try that VPN. I would be curious how this works for you. Hamachi is UDP which may or may not not matter.

Thread Information