5E Character Create Playlist
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Location and language of fantasy grounds community?

Hi all,

Where are you from? Are there resources on fantasy grounds user demographics available anywhere?
    Are your groups a multicultural mix? Do you try to find people from same native language?
    How is it with language barriers? I can imagine that roleplaying may become difficult for non-natives because many uncommon terms are used from fantasy, history, technology, etc.

Is that a problem? I guess its a lesser problem if all players including GM are non-natives. More difficult as a non-native in a mainly native group. Are VTTs an American thing? Or an European?

I appreciate any information related to this subject ;) thanks!
    Last edited by Berndout; May 23rd, 2020 at 17:51. Reason: Smilex

I don't think there is such statistical information. There are FG communities that don't participate in this forum or the discord server and having such information will not be really accurate and useful.

The main challenge when you play in language other than your native (and for some people even in their native native... ) is the command of the language and the level of literacy you have. The more the better, as the roleplaying games are storytelling, and a good story requires certain skills so the narrative is presented in dramatic and engaging way. I play mainly in my own language since all my players are the same nationality. Over the years I have joined various English-based groups and since I am constantly trying to improve my skills, the challenge of running or playing in English are less and less. Still, some things are more comfortable in my own language for obvious reasons.

Funny enough, some constructs come easily on English due to the extreme exposure of english-based literature I consume that is not yet translated and because working, travelling and abroad for prolonged periods.

And no, VTT and RPGs are not American or European thing. The tabletop form and certain software might have originated from those places, but certainly are not limited to
    Last edited by Valyar; May 24th, 2020 at 06:43.
    The past is a rudder to guide us, not an anchor to hold us back.

Blog Entries
    Active on the boards is definitely north american centric but there are many people from other parts of the world too.
    As Valyar says there are many other communities using Fantasy Grounds (and other virtual table tops) in other languages that tend to use websites/channels in their own language.
    Most games organised here are in English but not exclusively.
    If you look on Youtube you will see games being played in other languages.
    What languages do you speak?

Blog Entries
    There does seem to be a small but regular groups of non-English primary speakers that some of the members post here regularly. Of particular note are Brasilians and Germans.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

And a few people from France, Italy, Spain en Belgium
    Ultimate license holder
    Pref : Cthulhu and savage Worlds

Quote Originally Posted by damned View Post
    What languages do you speak?
    I am German ;) probably a major language after English. Anyone knows platforms to find German FG players? I did a poll in a German Facebook group. 90% play on roll20 or just discord/zoom/ts.

I am interested in English groups too. But think it would be easier with a group where English is only the second language.

Thanks for the responses!
    Last edited by Berndout; May 24th, 2020 at 12:44.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Berndout View Post
    I am German probably a major language after English. Anyone knows platforms to find German FG players? I did a poll in a German Facebook group. 90% play on roll20 or just discord/zoom/ts.

I am interested in English groups too. But think it would be easier with a group where English is only the second language.

Thanks for the responses!
    I've heard that DAS on FG has a strong following in Germany. Perhaps if you can find a group searching for DAS and FG you will find the right places

Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

DSA - Das Schwarze Auge.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Blog Entries
    I'm french canadian myself, and others then north americans, I have played with peoples from germany, peru. chile and new zeleand.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe View Post
    DSA - Das Schwarze Auge.
    Yea.. I knew I couldn't spell it. Apparently I got the acronym wrong too!

Thread Information