5E Character Create Playlist

FG usage for Young Teen Games

I am thinking of setting up a FG DnD 5e game for my daughter and her friends (11 to 12 age range). Has anyone done this before? There is a bit of a learning curve and I am trying to figure out the best way to teach them and also play. I don't want them to get frustrated with the mechanics. Just looking for some advice or tips especially from anyone else who has done something similar.

Thanks in Advance.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Death is lighter than a feather, Duty is heavier than a mountain

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Aster View Post
    I am thinking of setting up a FG DnD 5e game for my daughter and her friends (11 to 12 age range). Has anyone done this before? There is a bit of a learning curve and I am trying to figure out the best way to teach them and also play. I don't want them to get frustrated with the mechanics. Just looking for some advice or tips especially from anyone else who has done something similar.

Thanks in Advance.
    Im running a game for my 2 sons and 3 of their cousins. Ages 11-14.
    Im using Dungeon World because the mechanics are easier for younger players to pick up.
    It is harder keeping them all focused all the time.
    First session went long - 3.5hrs. We now play 2 hours and that is much more manageable for all.

Listen to your players, incorporate their ideas into the game.
    Make it fun first. Gritty and dangerous second.

I started playing D&D when I was too young to read, and I've met quite a few other players who had similar experiences, and parents who started a game night for the whole family including young kids. One of my favorite experiences as a DM was teaching a whole family, including young teen siblings, how to play (this was 4e). They had a blast with a two-year family only campaign; and two of them are still gaming with me, while the rest (including mom and dad) still play occasionally. Damned's advice is solid, include their input and aim for fun first.

As a direct example, when the players go into a bar, don't use a table to generate rumors. Ask each player to give one rumor that people are talking about. This does a couple things. First it gets them engaged. Second it gets their imagination flowing. Third it lets you know what they are interested in. If one player tells you a rumor of treasure and another talks about two families with a vendetta, and another talks about the local merchants and what they are selling that was never available before you can see where each player wants to spend time, which you can use to guide the story. They're rumors so then the players have to figure out which are true and which are false and which are close but not quite right.

One I did was when my players found a library I asked everyone to give a book title. Then I secretly asked someone else to say why that title was not what you expect in a bad way. Got some awesome results and everyone had a blast exploring the books. Even after the session people were talking about who came up with which idea. Again, it let me know what kinds of things the players were interested in for their characters so I could work them into the game in the future.

These strategies work with players of any age too. If the DM is comfortable with a sandboxy game they can be the core mechanic to drive it.

Personally, I would skip the automation that FG provides. Have them roll the dice from their dice tray and add the mods. Teach them the GAME. Then start using the character sheet automation after they understand it what it does for them. It's what I did when I taught my niece and a friend's daughter how to play (12 and 10).

Also, kids love to roll dice. So if there's a chance you can play face-to-face so they can physically roll dice, but use FG as your table-top, that works very well.
    Fantasy Grounds Unity Lives! Good job, Smiteworks!

Thread Information