5E Product Walkthrough Playlist

Question about map modules with LOS

I'm working on a module of maps that include LOS. As I understand it, FGC does not support LOS on maps, so do I need to create a separate version for FGC without the LOS data, or will FGC load it and ignore the bits it doesn't understand?
    Playing tabletop RPGs since 1983.
    GMing: West Marches (Numenera); Revenge on the Dragon (Cypher System); The Ultimate Cake Recipe (Invisible Sun)
    FG Unity Ultimate License holder
    https://wanderingmonster.org.

Good Day Paulyhedral
    It should just ignore it, no need for separate maps for FGU and FGC

Quote Originally Posted by Bonkon View Post
    Good Day Paulyhedral
    It should just ignore it, no need for separate maps for FGU and FGC
    Good to know! Thanks!
    GMing: West Marches (Numenera); Revenge on the Dragon (Cypher System); The Ultimate Cake Recipe (Invisible Sun)

Blog Entries
    Hold on, I'm pretty sure FGC will have problems if the module is created in FGU and then you export and try to open in FGC. I think the proper method is to create the module in FGC, and then use the tool on th FGU wiki to add the LOS data to it. That way it's usable in both FGC and FGU.

BUT, I have not done this yet and not 100% sure. So, if you do try FGU first, just do something quick and easy and test.

See the wiki here; https://fantasygroundsunity.atlassia...ta+for+Modules

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Good Day LordEntrails
    I was thinking it is like a purchased module, they are the same maps in those that are usable in FGU and FGC I believe. Am I thinking wrongly in this? I have not dabbled in FGU much myself.

Check me on this, but I tested to see if they would load. I downloaded FGC and installed it using CrossOver (I'm on a Mac), copied the module over, created a new campaign, loaded the module from the Library view.

The module contains some tables, some story items, and the maps. The tables and stories show up fine (as I expected), but the maps open with the window sized correctly, but no image displaying. I double-checked the module file to make sure the image were actually present, and they are, so the LOS data must be interfering.

Darn. I guess that answers my question.

So, there's a tool to add LOS data to a map, but is there a tool to remove it also? Because that would be super useful.

Good Day Paulyhedral
    Sorry, I obviously, made an incorrect assumption about maps. I was under the impression that the maps with added LOS were backwards compatible as I do not see separate maps in DLC for FGU and FGC. I apologize for the misinformation.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonkon View Post
    Good Day Paulyhedral
    Sorry, I obviously, made an incorrect assumption about maps. I was under the impression that the maps with added LOS were backwards compatible as I do not see separate maps in DLC for FGU and FGC. I apologize for the misinformation.
    No worries, my friend.

I'm determined now to figure out how to make it work in the reverse direction. I'm trying to figure out how to make a tool that can extract the LOS and FX information from a module to make it compatible for FGC.

Blog Entries
    There may be changes to the data format other than just LOS data on maps. Check token references, they may have changed as well.

Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Blog Entries
    Oh, and the other thing that will make this not simple; in FGU images can be composed of multiple files. While in FGC an image only has a single file. So you will have to figure out how you are going to convert a multiple file image to a single image file? Right now, FGU has no image export, but you might have to create such a tool for starters.

Thread Information