FG Spreadshirt Swag
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Fun with Desktop and Panels

I've been attempting to reorganize the desktop a bit. My first task was to get rid of the "sidebar" and add a more modern method of navidation.

I came up with this during my proof of concept work.

As you can see, it's a simple menu that mimics the pretty standard location and function.

The problem I'm having is that it appears that the panel "covers" the items below it even when not showing. If you've not opened the menu you can right click on a portrait and see the standard "kick/chat/etc" menu option on the portrait. However after I open and close the "Menu" drop down it then just gives the typical "right click" desktop options when clicking on the portrait again.

So then I tried...

I thought maybe I could just have a standalone window come up then, because I know it can overlay and when closed doesn't cause a problem... however when I tried that the Interface.openWindow() window is just stuffed into the panel and not over the desktop and obviously the to small for that.

Here is a example of what I'm working with right now for the panel entry.
    Code:
      <!-- menu button panel -->
      <panel name="menulist" modes="host,client">
    		<class>menulist_window</class>
    		<anchored height="30" width="50">
    			<left offset="1" />
    			<top />
    		</anchored>
    	</panel>
    If there is a way to use the desktop panels and not collide with chat window and portraits I'd be interested in suggestions.

Worst case I could put the Menu button on the chat window but ... I'd rather not. I'm hoping to go for something almost everyone will be familiar with.
    ---
    Fantasy Grounds AD&D Reference Bundle, AD&D Adventure Bundle 1, AD&D Adventure Bundle 2
    Documentation for AD&D 2E ruleset.
    Custom Maps (I2, S4, T1-4, Barrowmaze,Lost City of Barakus)
    Note: Please do not message me directly on this site, post in the forums or ping me in FG's discord.

So, I did a bit of testing various things and figured out a way to get it to work.

First I changed the panel entry to be dynamic.

Code:
      <!-- menu button panel -->
      <panel name="menulist" modes="host,client">
    		<class>menulist_window</class>
    		<anchored width="0">
    			<left />
    			<top />
          <bottom offset="-32" />
    		</anchored>
        <dynamic />
    	</panel>
    Then, in the window that is show with menu links I check for visibility. If it's NOT visible we setSize the window to just the original tiny panel for for "Menu" button.
    Code:
            function onVisibilityChanged()
              local bVisible = isVisible();
              if bVisible then
                window.rollOutMenu();
              else
                window.rollUpMenu();
                window.setSize(50,25);
              end
            end
    After that change I was able to get the clickable working as it should for windows behind the window.

Next issue, sort out how to get it to show over top of everything (it shows behind the Combat Tracker).
    Last edited by celestian; April 24th, 2020 at 23:31.
    ---
    Fantasy Grounds AD&D Reference Bundle, AD&D Adventure Bundle 1, AD&D Adventure Bundle 2
    Note: Please do not message me directly on this site, post in the forums or ping me in FG's discord.

Just as a point of feedback. I find that drop-down menus with 20+ options are actually harder for users to use, and to find information in general. I wouldn't want this in a standard UI for every user. It seems more like a UI for "advanced users who value screen real estate over quick access".

Regards,
    JPG

That concept looks familiar
    Dominic Morta
    Ruleset Developer
    Smiteworks

How to zip up your campaign if the Developers ask for it-How to zip up your campaign if the Developers ask for it

How to provide an Unity Connection issue?-Connection Issues and What to Provide

Unity Updater issue?-Updater Issues

Classic and Unity Port Forwarding?-Fantasy Grounds Connections Explained

Comcast or Cox ISP User?-Comcast XFinity and Cox Users

Have a suggestion?-Feature Request

Could add a fork in the code to build the menu button or build the sidebar. Also I believe you can force it to remain it atop of all frames when the list displays.
    Last edited by superteddy57; April 24th, 2020 at 23:43.
    Dominic Morta
    Ruleset Developer
    Smiteworks

How to zip up your campaign if the Developers ask for it-How to zip up your campaign if the Developers ask for it

How to provide an Unity Connection issue?-Connection Issues and What to Provide

Unity Updater issue?-Updater Issues

Classic and Unity Port Forwarding?-Fantasy Grounds Connections Explained

Comcast or Cox ISP User?-Comcast XFinity and Cox Users

Have a suggestion?-Feature Request

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Wizard View Post
    Just as a point of feedback. I find that drop-down menus with 20+ options are actually harder for users to use, and to find information in general. I wouldn't want this in a standard UI for every user. It seems more like a UI for "advanced users who value screen real estate over quick access".

Regards,
    JPG
    This is my early version. I'm considering having two buttons, one for lesser used menus (like the bulk of records) with the current "desktop dock" being the ones in the primary list. Pretty much like the standard file menu. [Menu] [Records] sorta thing. (names are still up in the air

Honestly I was thinking this would work better for new users as the user interface style for file/options is far more likely to be a button on the top left.

Quote Originally Posted by superteddy57 View Post
    Could add a fork in the code to build the menu button or build the sidebar. Also I believe you can force it to remain it atop of all frames when the list displays.
    That's the bit I cannot figure out. bringToFront() does not work on panels.
    ---

Blog Entries
    Nice! I like it.
    Ultimate License Holder

This is very interesting concept. Saving screen real estate is important, especially if you don't have two monitors or higher than FullHD screen size. If there is way to have this implemented only for the host, it will be stellar.
    The past is a rudder to guide us, not an anchor to hold us back.

Second pass...

Still working on it... but I'm going to add a few more buttons that don't exist or are "layered" in other menus currently. Like "Exit" and "Modules".

---

Thread Information