STAR TREK 2d20
Page 15 of 20 First ... 51314151617 ... Last

Hello rmilmine...I just noticed that when you create a machine pistol in equipment its "skill" defaults to Pistols when machine pistols should be used by the skill Automatics.

Can you correct this? Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by esmdev View Post
    There is a method to increase both Magic and Resonance in the core rules.

Submersion (page 257, Core Rules 4th Printing) gives an option:

Increase Resonance
    The natural maximum for your Resonance attribute is 6 + your Submersion grade. You still have to spend Karma to increase your Resonance attribute.

Initiation (page 325, Core Rules 4th Printing) gives an option:

Increase Magic

The natural maximum for your Magic attribute is 6 + your grade of initiation. You’ve still got to pay normal Karma costs to increase your Magic attribute.
    Neither of these actually increase your attribute rating. As they both say, you still have to spend the karma to get the increased rating, as you do with the regular attributes.

Quote Originally Posted by GSKlein View Post
    Actually according to Shadowrun 5E page 319:

Power Foci
    Power foci live up to their name. They are very powerful foci that temporarily increase your effective Magic rating. That means they add to your Sorcery, Conjuring, and Enchanting dice pools, along with any other test where Magic is involved. Power foci can take any form, but for some reason, rings and amulets are quite popular.

Therefore having such a focus does increase your Magic Attribute...
    The generally accepted interpretation of that paragraph (yes it is ambiguous) is that power foci only add to the dice pools, and *not* to your magic rating for the purposes of the maximum force of spell you can cast, whether drain is stun or physical, etc. By that they aren't strictly a modifier to your magic rating.

Quote Originally Posted by The High Druid View Post
    Neither of these actually increase your attribute rating. As they both say, you still have to spend the karma to get the increased rating, as you do with the regular attributes.
    I was answering the question 'what directly increases the magic attribute' and a secondary of if there is something similar for resonance. What I posted was the rule which shows how to increase the maximum which then allows a direct increase to the attribute.

Yes, but neither work in the way that would require the extra stat boxes that are used for Body, Agility, Strength, etc. because there's no modifier to the magic or resonance ratings. Only the natural rating can be increased, and only through spending karma.

Edit: Ah, thinking you might have missed the trigger for that conversation, it was GSKlein asking for modifier boxes to be added to the Magic and Resonance attributes, and my response was to explain they aren't necessary.
    Last edited by The High Druid; September 20th, 2020 at 16:34.

Quote Originally Posted by The High Druid View Post
    Yes, but neither work in the way that would require the extra stat boxes that are used for Body, Agility, Strength, etc. because there's no modifier to the magic or resonance ratings. Only the natural rating can be increased, and only through spending karma.

Edit: Ah, thinking you might have missed the trigger for that conversation, it was GSKlein asking for modifier boxes to be added to the Magic and Resonance attributes, and my response was to explain they aren't necessary.
    I agree, there is no need for a temp or modified box. I figured my posting how magic and resonance advancement worked would point that out. I guess I probably should have explicitly said that was the intention.

It does make me think that there could be a use for a Max Attribute column, as there are a number of was (initiation, subversion, race, qualities, etc.) which can modify the attribute maximum. While it's not in the absolutely needed category, it is definitely something that would be helpful to have specifically on the character sheet to allow quick reference to the individual character's maximum.

Sorry but you're wrong. The foci increases the Magic attribute when you use a Power Foci. If I just wanted to increase my dice pool for spells I would you use the cheaper Spell Foci. And if I just wanted to increase dice pools then the other foci are pretty useless unless I'm a single (aspected) magician.

You might want to re-read the 5th Edition rules. Its not ambiguous and wasn't even corrected in the released errata. The Power Foci does increase your Magic attribute when activated and gives dice for ALL skills involving magic (sorcery, conjuring, alchemy, etc, just as if your Magic attribute was higher...which it is with a Power Foci).

This is the reason why there's so many different foci and why Power Foci as so damn expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by GSKlein View Post
    Sorry but you're wrong. The foci increases the Magic attribute when you use a Power Foci. If I just wanted to increase my dice pool for spells I would you use the cheaper Spell Foci. And if I just wanted to increase dice pools then the other foci are pretty useless unless I'm a single (aspected) magician.

You might want to re-read the 5th Edition rules. Its not ambiguous and wasn't even corrected in the released errata. The Power Foci does increase your Magic attribute when activated and gives dice for ALL skills involving magic (sorcery, conjuring, alchemy, etc, just as if your Magic attribute was higher...which it is with a Power Foci).

This is the reason why there's so many different foci and why Power Foci as so damn expensive.
    While it temporarily increases the magic rating, it only does so while the power focus is available and active and is tied specifically to the item. It seems to me that it would be more appropriate to attach the increase to the item as opposed to the general ability score. I don't think the ruleset supports this but that would be my thought on it.

Also, I think that you are missing the effective before Magic Rating, which means while it is technically a changed value it doesn't actually change the actual value. If they had meant to change the actual value they would have left off effective or removed it in the various errata passes.

Quote Originally Posted by esmdev View Post
    While it temporarily increases the magic rating, it only does so while the power focus is available and active and is tied specifically to the item. It seems to me that it would be more appropriate to attach the increase to the item as opposed to the general ability score. I don't think the ruleset supports this but that would be my thought on it.

Also, I think that you are missing the effective before Magic Rating, which means while it is technically a changed value it doesn't actually change the actual value. If they had meant to change the actual value they would have left off effective or removed it in the various errata passes.
    I totally agree that the rating increase is temporary...but having a section to do the increase would be most useful. When I activate the Power Foci it would be nice to see all the skills attached to that attribute, which would get an increase to them, get the sudden rise for when I'm rolling my dice pool.

This is no different than if I was to use a spell or cyber / bioware to suddenly increase Strength or Charisma temporarily. They have a Mod and Increase box...why shouldn't Magic (and I think Resonance as well) since there are temporary increases that can be put in. I think it would make things simpler and more automated which also means easier.

It's perfectly fine if your group does it that way, but a quick search of the official forums, and the shadowrun reddit, will show that most groups do not . . . so "wrong" is a bit harsh, and it means you're asking for a change most groups won't use.

Thread Information