FG Spreadshirt Swag
    Blog Entries

Getting All Assets (e.g. Images) into the Module (.mod) File

I would like to have all the maps that I wish to use in my homebrew campaign, exported into the module file. I have some CC3+ maps that I have created for the campaign, but I would like to use some maps that are in other modules, for example in the Dungeon Master's Guide. I know that I cannot copy maps from the other modules into my campaign module, so I will have to settle for references or links.

Putting a link to the DM Guide map in a Story page works really well. Fantasy Grounds will even tell me, and allow me to load, the DM Guide if the guide is not loaded when I try to use the map. Here is a screenshot of what I am talking about:
    Untitled1.png

What I am asking for is a method to do the same thing from the RecordSet Libraries. I've tried various machinations but without success, shown below in some more screen shots.

In the following screenshot I dragged "Map-8" from the DM Guide Group into My Module Group, and then renamed the map, to illustrate what I wish to accomplish.
    Untitled2.png

The following screenshot shows the missing map information in my exported .mod file.
    Untitled3.png

I've tried editing the campaign's db.xml file prior to export, adding various syntax variations of the <link> found in the <encounters> (a.k.a. Story) section of the xml, but without success.

I had better restate what I want help with: I would like similar actions in the Library window as those in the Story window. The "Map 2: Boat" link would persist and be exported to my campaign's .mod file. And then, when clicked it would bring up the "Map-8" image from the DM Guide. If the Guide is not loaded, I'd get a dialog that asked my if I want it loaded, etc. etc.
    Any assistance would be appreciated.
    Last edited by Minty23185Fresh; May 16th, 2020 at 00:14.
    Current Projects:
    Always...
    Community Contributions:
    Extensions: Bardic Inspiration, Druid Wild Shapes, Local Dice Tower, Library Field Filters
    Tutorial Blog Series: "A Neophyte Tackles (coding) the FG Extension".

You can’t do what you’re asking for. The "link" in the data list is not the same as a link in a story entry. The link in the story entry is a link to a record elsewhere. The "link" in the campaign data list is not really a link, it’s a button to open that record. The record needs to be present to get the button to open it, the button can’t be there unless the record is there.

The best you can do is put the links in a story entry.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Blog Entries
    @Trenloe Oh. Come on. “...you can’t do that...”; it’s like throwing down the gauntlet.

I’ve been looking at this, a little, off and on, since my original post. The way I’d go about it, I think, with an extension is: create a blank map, a place holder, the record that you mention I need, embed the link as meta data. When that record was opened the extension would follow the link. The part I haven’t explored yet is getting the meta data into an exported module.

I haven’t convinced myself yet, of the actual utility of this. It might be one of my “so esoteric as be just an exercise stretching FG’’s limits” projects. But those are fun to do sometimes just for the sake of it.

Thanks for responding Trenloe, I appreciate it. When it takes a week for someone to respond, and then it’s one of the “guys at the top”, I know I have a “bone worth chewing on”.

Quote Originally Posted by Minty23185Fresh View Post
    @Trenloe Oh. Come on. “...you can’t do that...”; it’s like throwing down the gauntlet.
    It's your time. Go nuts...
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Thread Information