DICE PACKS BUNDLE

How can I put an extension field right the middle of an existing record?

I'm trying to modify the AD&D 2E ruleset to support armor damage, per The Complete Fighter's Handbook.

To this end, I want add a "HP Lost" field to the item record. This is simple enough if I fully replace record_item.xml and looks correct:

Looks great! Except I don't want to replace all the xml... I just want to add my new fields. So I chop out all the duplicate stuff, do merge="join" in the xml file and just add my new fields, and end up with:

Crap! They ended up down at the bottom. I guess that makes sense because they're added last. Maybe I can do it with anchors, and anchor it to the bottom of the the Weight fields?

Nope! The thing below it just overlaps it now.

How do you deal with inserting new fields in the middle of an existing record with an extension, without replacing the whole thing? Is there some way to tell the elements underneath it to give it some space?
    Last edited by Sterno; May 14th, 2020 at 23:47.

After a lot of forum searching, I found out about the insertbefore attribute. I just needed to make sure I was using insertbefore on my new fields.

Thread Information