5E Character Create Playlist

script errors after latest update today

Script Error: [string "scripts/manager_effect_global.lua"]:32: bad argument #1 to 'pairs' (table expected, got nil)
    Script Error: [string "scripts/manager_effect_global.lua"]:32: bad argument #1 to 'pairs' (table expected, got nil)

My current campaign was running fine on Monday, just fired it up again and ran update, just getting constant script errors whenever I try and do something like make a trait roll or open combat tracker- I'm going to see if I can restore to a pre-update backup hopefully, but any idea what
    might cause such a problem?

Which ruleset are you using? Are you using any extensions?
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Assuming this was SavageWorlds (based on "trait roll" reference); there was a hot fix earlier today to resolve an issue. Please run a new Check for Updates and let us know if you are still getting the issue; including the extensions and ruleset you are using.

Regards,
    JPG

Sorry yes its Savageworlds with the DLR setting. I hadn't expected such a speedy response - very impressed! I've just spent about 3 hrs copying bits across though into a fresh campaign setting where everything appears to be functioning normally again so at least not a total loss. None of the character data, user created encounters etc seem to have been corrupted, they have just been rendered non-functional in the original campaign by this scripting error. but I could still export the characters manually to XML files, and export other data via a module. I am using the relatively new AO extension and a few other long established Ikael ones, but these are also loaded in the donor campaign I have shifted to which as I said is working normally so they seem an unlikely suspect at this stage. Also of note, I had a backup of the entire "campaign" data folder. Before I resorted to creating a new campaign I tried replacing the data folder with the slightly older backup. Apart from an error message about a possible corrupt DB file, I was allowed to proceed, then able to load up and view the slightly older campaign data (with previous versions of character sheets for example, but the script error still popped up. Is it possible given the inability of the backup to make a difference as well, that there had been a corruption in the main database file? I think I was prompted to run the updater twice today if I remember correctly which seemed unusual.
    As I've managed to restore a working version of the campaign and it seems like that was the only thing affected I am mainly just bothered now by what could have happened and obviously how I can mediate it from happening again. If you can shed any light on it, or help with a more effective backup strategy that would be most appreciated thanks.

For completeness- running SWADE, DLR plus following extensions- basic card deck tables, core rpg- AudioOverseer, FGtabber, Formation graphics, Global effects, GMW session decals, Halt!, Height, Moon tracker, NPC maker, Shop database, Town database, usage die, window saver x

Now that I've actually got to typing them out, that does seem like rather a lot of extensions! For due diligence, I have done as I'm told, ran a new check for updates (none) and loaded up the original campaign again with everything switched off apart from SWADE and DLR. The script error has gone away! I'll experiment a bit more by switching on extensions one at a time and feed back. Thanks for your help- annoyed I didnt do this hours ago- should know by now removing extensions is rule number 1 in troubleshooting!!

I've found it! It was the global effects extension. The reason I hadn't suspected it was it was loaded in the working campaign I copied my data across into, but I hadn't got as far as putting any global effects in there so it was empty. When I put an effect in there, the script error reappeared. Furthermore, I was slightly surprised to see in my original campaign with the global effects extension switched off, my global effects were still there and working perfectly! So it looks like what must have happened is Ikael has incorporated global effects into the latest "core" update for SWADE and the extension version was in effect comflicting with itself?! I am glad at least that I don't have to manage without the global effects extension as it is really useful and should be in the core ruleset- just wish it had warned me or error checked for itself before throwing a hissy fit Might it be possible to feed this back to Ikael for his information at least. He may have already removed the redundant extension but I haven't checked- now well past bedtime and quite enough troubleshooting for one night...

Quote Originally Posted by dikdastard View Post
    Might it be possible to feed this back to Ikael for his information at least. He may have already removed the redundant extension but I haven't checked- now well past bedtime and quite enough troubleshooting for one night...
    He removed it a few weeks ago.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...ects-extension
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Thank you for that, although that just makes me look even more stupid now of course :O

I guess I must have been carrying this ticking time bomb for a few weeks then before it "detonated" on the latest update- at least it wasn't game night although it has also reminded me of general advice I was given when I first came to FG which is NEVER run an update just before starting the game in case something breaks- its perhaps a testament to how little this actually happens that I have become rather blase about hitting that update button in recent years.The ability of end users to innovate and create extensions to the core platform has always been key to my mind in driving forward functionality and expansion of the FG platform as the premier VTT, but their ability to break things can also be a bit of a nightmare. FG (classic and Unity) will have truly come of age when we have a central repository/play store type set up for community extensions to automatically update to current versions or as in this case, deprecate it.

Anyway in this case ultimately the only damage was waste of time- mostly mine, but also yours and Moon's for kindly responding to my posts! Apologies!! I'll count it as a learning experience at least until I probably forget and do the same again (I'm getting old!)

Thread Information