DICE PACKS BUNDLE

Any PFRPG Tutorial vids for Unity?

All the vids I see are for 5e - some of the instructions/actions don't exist if pfrpg ruleset.

I too have had trouble finding PF1e tutorial videos, everything is 5e now.

Quote Originally Posted by Sudain View Post
    I too have had trouble finding PF1e tutorial videos, everything is 5e now.
    Most of the things of the 5e videos should also apply to PF1, except item forge, character wizard and the parsing of NPC actions; NPCs have the same system as characters with an actions tab, so, knowing the actions tab of characters helps you to understand the NPC stuff (which is very similar to 5e, except that the "power" group is also simulated with the spellgroup in PF1/3.5e)

I'll have to give it another browse then, thank you. I guess it's just nice to get the tutorial in the rule system you are going to be playing in when teaching new players.

what would you like to see? I suppose I could learn how, and you could always here my voice prattling on about nonsense, I have a spare weekend...
    Last edited by Zygmunt Molotch; October 2nd, 2020 at 04:50.

For me, its more about providing a comprehensive tutorial on all the features of the program in the ruleset we'll be playing in. "Right clicking in notes will let you do XYZ", "Right clicking in parcels will let you do XYZ". That's been done quite thoroughly for 5e. The main benefit of using it in the system I'm playing is I can then forward that playlist to my new players (players who have to learn both the program and the ruleset, and how their character works within the ruleset), and know they just need to go through the tutorial to learn how to work the program.

Then from other nifty videos would be common quality of life tricks. Like setting up a wand of cure light wounds, what does a player need to do for that? Setting up a wand of produce flame or magic missile. Things they will pick up given enough time. I don't have a good answer as to what those things would be off the top of my head, as the DM I've got my hands full testing extensions and setting up magic shops and tables which roll other tables.

Quote Originally Posted by Sudain View Post
    For me, its more about providing a comprehensive tutorial on all the features of the program in the ruleset we'll be playing in. "Right clicking in notes will let you do XYZ", "Right clicking in parcels will let you do XYZ". That's been done quite thoroughly for 5e. The main benefit of using it in the system I'm playing is I can then forward that playlist to my new players (players who have to learn both the program and the ruleset, and how their character works within the ruleset), and know they just need to go through the tutorial to learn how to work the program.

Then from other nifty videos would be common quality of life tricks. Like setting up a wand of cure light wounds, what does a player need to do for that? Setting up a wand of produce flame or magic missile. Things they will pick up given enough time. I don't have a good answer as to what those things would be off the top of my head, as the DM I've got my hands full testing extensions and setting up magic shops and tables which roll other tables.
    So I had a similar issue with the vids. In the end I found I could extrapolate any 5e commands/actions from the videos into PF. Then I held 'training sessions' with my players using simple encounters at 1st level and the like to teach them the way it works. This way we covered 85% of what FGU could do all in two game sessions. That was for game mechanics. But I totally agree there could some useful videos on how to do those types of things: how to add masterwork bonus, create a wand, set up potions, Use Channel Energy, etc. There are posts about it, but it takes some work to find. If I had any inkling on how to create those types of videos and upload them, I'd give it a go.

Just ran into a situation that would be great to have a video on.

I was trying to replicate a magic item shop with randomly generated items. You go in, a bunch of dice get rolled and you find out what the shop has for sale. Well with magic weapons and items sometimes you need to roll for a special ability (flaming for example) and then concatenate with the results of a different weapon table (flamberge) to get a "+1 flaming flamberge". Or a "+2 Acid Resist Shield". After a couple hours of poking about there's no way to do that inside a table directly. The closest you can get is from a story template, which I have not yet figured out if it can generate multiple weapons [1d4][Enchancement Bonus][Ability-if-rolled][Weapon-Type] (a bulleted list of those items).

Having a video covering this would be great, both on how to do it well (if there is one), and showing the limits of so DM's can work around it. For me rather than trying to generate a parcel with all the loot and show it to the players I'm going to have to look at using a story template to generate the shop's contents and see what I can do there.

Thread Information