DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 2 of 2 First 12

Thread: localhost

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lupus View Post
    One last thing, should I be worried about the failed connection test?
    Perhaps, did you setup port forwarding or did things just work? Are you using FGC or FGU?

Making some assumptions (Things just worked and FGC), then you may need to reboot your router before you can switch which computer can host external clients as your router may not release the 'wrong' computer and start port forwarding to the 'right' computer. Sometimes the Router will switch fairly quickly, other times you have to reboot it and then launch FG only the computer you want to work.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Thanks LordEntrails. In truth, I don't know anything about port forwarding. I am using FGC and it just worked.

Blog Entries
    Thanks LordEntrails. In truth, I don't know anything about port forwarding. I am using FGC and it just worked.
    Sure, so what happens is your router can only port forward (direct traffic) inbound traffic (from your players) to one address (computer).

So when you started FG on one computer, your router said something like 'Oh hey, Computer A is listening for connections on port 1802, anything that comes from the internet on port 1802 should go to Computer A". Then you went and started Computer B and FG connections from the internet could not connect to it, because your router was still pointing all traffic at Computer A. Your router will do that for some amount of time (generally it doesn't expect this rule to be changing frequently, so it might keep the rule for an hour or a day, or it might get stuck until you reboot your router).

Just be aware of that behavior when you run FG on more than one computer. You might have to wait, or reboot your router to get things working with your 'new' computer.

Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Much appreciated LordEntrails.

Blog Entries
    Much appreciated LordEntrails.
    You are welcome

How do I start a second instance?

Quote Originally Posted by damned View Post
    Localhost is a special mode designed for the GM to be able to see the player view on their GM computer.

The GM starts up Fantasy Grounds and Loads a Campaign.
    They then start a second instance of FG and choose Join Game and use localhost as the address
    This will connect to the running instance on the same computer and will bypass the license comparison.
    Hi!

I would like to see my game from the player’s perspective. How do I start a second instance of FG?

I am running FG Unity with the 5e ruleset on a MacBook Pro running the Catalina OS.

Many thanks - I have found these forums to be so very helpful!

I think on a mac you also need to install a demo version of FG and run that as the second instance.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here http://fgapp.idea.informer.com/

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LaiJien View Post
    Hi!

I would like to see my game from the player’s perspective. How do I start a second instance of FG?

I am running FG Unity with the 5e ruleset on a MacBook Pro running the Catalina OS.

Many thanks - I have found these forums to be so very helpful!
    Someone wrote up this process for FGU on a Mac. Not sure it applies to FGC as I'm not Mac fluent.
    https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...-same-computer

This discussion is for Mac and FGC, but it's not a direct solution. But, I think it links to the answer...
    https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...ac-for-Testing

Thank you, Zacchaeus!

Quote Originally Posted by Zacchaeus View Post
    I think on a mac you also need to install a demo version of FG and run that as the second instance.

Thank you, LordEntrails!

Quote Originally Posted by LordEntrails View Post
    Someone wrote up this process for FGU on a Mac. Not sure it applies to FGC as I'm not Mac fluent.
    https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...-same-computer

This discussion is for Mac and FGC, but it's not a direct solution. But, I think it links to the answer...
    https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...ac-for-Testing

Thread Information