DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Extension to show ac in the combat tracker?

(Dm, 5e) I hate having to click on the npcs in the combat tracker to see their ac, is there an extension that puts it on top with their health and initiative? Thanks!
    Last edited by chernobyl9093; May 10th, 2020 at 12:10.

Blog Entries
    Welcome chernobyl9093

No one knows what ruleset you are talking about or whether you are a player or GM or anything else... for people to offer suggestions/advice they will need some more info.

Apologies, first time posting here, I wasn't sure if 5e was prevalent enough to make the assumption. I have edited my post. Thank you

attached image

As a workaround, at least for AC, I use an Effects entry. Careful not to accidentally make it a working one though . Attached is a picture. For AC I use RK as this is the corresponding German abbreviation.

Edit: Ah, sry you mean NPCs, but works like this too.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by SirMotte; May 10th, 2020 at 16:47.

There isn't such an extension. I'm not sure what the use case would be - I can't think of any instance in the last 6 year where I've needed to know what an NPCs AC was. When it's the NPCs turn the AC is at the top of their info panel. When it isn't their turn you can click on the sword icon (offence icon in whatever theme you are using) for that NPC on the combat tracker and again AC is the first thing that you see. No need to open the NPC sheet.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Quote Originally Posted by Zacchaeus View Post
    There isn't such an extension. I'm not sure what the use case would be - I can't think of any instance in the last 6 year where I've needed to know what an NPCs AC was. When it's the NPCs turn the AC is at the top of their info panel. When it isn't their turn you can click on the sword icon (offence icon in whatever theme you are using) for that NPC on the combat tracker and again AC is the first thing that you see. No need to open the NPC sheet.
    My guess is, that he uses the CT only as a reference for on site games, that's what I do too. The less interaction with screen elements necessary, the better. Clicking the sword icon also opens up all attacks of the creature. With screen space in mind and for an easy, uncluttered overview, this is not an option.

Use case scenario:
    Player 1: I want to attack the atrociously smelling Goblin.
    Me: Alright, roll for it!
    Player 1: I rolled an 8
    Me: *Quick glance at the CT* - A horrendous smell washes over you, as you get into closer proximity of the Goblin. Your eyes begin to water, imparing your sight for a moment, just enough time for the Goblin to avoid your attack.

If the AC was not instantly visible, there would be a notable pause in between the players roll and me announcing hit or miss.

I try to avoid staring at the screen too much when DMing, especially if I act out scenes. My workaround mentioned above alleviates some of this.

Cheers.
    Last edited by SirMotte; May 10th, 2020 at 18:08. Reason: Spelling, grammar, clarification

That is indeed the use case! And I didn't think about using the conditions for that purpose, that's really clever. It does add some more setup for the encounters but not too much, I suppose Im just being lazy and wanting the information displayed automatically haha

Such an extension does exist for 5E. Damned, I don't know if you remember but you made an example of it for me to help me learn a bit about coding extensions for FG. I still am not good at all and have to learn to be honest. I really appreciated you took the time to show me an example to help me. I ended up getting flooded with work tho (I was working in education at the time) so never got to finish learning at the time. Now that my finals are over, hopefully i can go back to it.

But I use it all the time and it's held up over the years, both for my in person games and online. It makes it so its one less thing for me to have to click when I'm running as a GM - the same reason I keep monster stats sheets always visible even when it's not the monsters turn. So I can plan/respond with players if they hit (especially if they don't have attacks set up or I'm using FG to run offline).

Check this link:
    https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...umn&highlight=
    Last edited by viviolay; May 11th, 2020 at 02:47.

Quote Originally Posted by chernobyl9093 View Post
    That is indeed the use case! And I didn't think about using the conditions for that purpose, that's really clever. It does add some more setup for the encounters but not too much, I suppose Im just being lazy and wanting the information displayed automatically haha
    Just setup some entries for ac 1-20 in the effects window for easy drag an drop.

Quote Originally Posted by viviolay View Post
    Such an extension does exist for 5E. Damned, I don't know if you remember but you made an example of it for me to help me learn a bit about coding extensions for FG. I still am not good at all and have to learn to be honest. I really appreciated you took the time to show me an example to help me. I ended up getting flooded with work tho (I was working in education at the time) so never got to finish learning at the time. Now that my finals are over, hopefully i can go back to it.

But I use it all the time and it's held up over the years, both for my in person games and online. It makes it so its one less thing for me to have to click when I'm running as a GM - the same reason I keep monster stats sheets always visible even when it's not the monsters turn. So I can plan/respond with players if they hit (especially if they don't have attacks set up or I'm using FG to run online).

Check this link:
    https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...umn&highlight=

Well I be damned , testing now! Thx!
    Last edited by SirMotte; May 11th, 2020 at 03:45.

Thread Information