DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Will the final version have great programming? CPU usage of 500% +

Hi FG Unity creators.

I was really looking forward to the Unity version as Fantasy Grounds classic really had a big flaw in the computing power drain as it could turn any great computer into a great frying pan in an hour.

Now I can see that FGU use 4-600% CPU power on my reasonably new Mac.

So will there be some work done on better programming so it doesn't have this high CPU strain in the future?

Also, why does it make all computers run so hot? Surely it isn't graphic processing...

Great app - except when safety mechanisms shut down Macs and PCs for cooling off occasionally - that part my group could do without. (And I did not notice if earlier versions a few weeks ago had the same strain - it is the first time now that my newer Mac shuts down in order not to catch fire)

Thanks
    Jens

We haven't been able to recreate the specific issue yet on Mac, though we have noticed it does seem to be more resource intensive than we like.

Can you provide us with more info on these items?

* What game system are you running?
    * Which extensions are you using?
    * Which windows do you have open when you are seeing the resource spike?
    * If you have image windows open,
    ** How many image windows are open?
    ** How many layers on each image?
    ** How many image windows are using LoS?
    ** How many image windows have FX layers?

Thanks,
    JPG

Hi JPG

- We are running D&D 5e - latest updates from today (was it 2 or 3 released today?).
    - We run Curse of Strahd package w following extensions
    - 5e Curse of Strahd, Language font Wizards, Theme Wizards, Curse of Strahd desktop decals - that is it.
    - Two image windows open (battles take place on two floors)
    - Not sure how I check the number of layers? It is the CoS module that is bought via your shop. If I am reading it right, there is one layer.
    - both windows use LoS
    - No FX
    - No masks

The Mac went to 650% CPU around the peak.
    I only share very few images to people. 4 players online. Closing all other programs on my Mac and run Discord on my iPad as the Mac was so down on its knees running FGU.
    It is the first time we try using LOS - absolutely great - but overall wins the price as the "heaviest" program my Mac has ever had to run and I am not sure why that it.

Hope some updates will come that will reduce it. I rarely hear my computer fan in the Mac and today it sounded like a blender most of the evening :-)

Activity_Monitor same problem.jpg

Any news in fixing the programming? Other mac users have same RIDICOLOUS CPU usage. It is NOT possible to run Discord (or any other program for that matter) together w Fantasy Grounds - FG simply requires too much!
    Last edited by super4217; May 17th, 2020 at 19:22.

Blog Entries
    Some Macs are exhibiting the behavior and others are not. The Devs have yet to figure out what is causing the issue, but they are working on it.

If you can detail your system specifications including O/S and graphics drivers etc, ti will help them identify the contributing factor(s).

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Quote Originally Posted by LordEntrails View Post
    Some Macs are exhibiting the behavior and others are not. The Devs have yet to figure out what is causing the issue, but they are working on it.

If you can detail your system specifications including O/S and graphics drivers etc, ti will help them identify the contributing factor(s).

Sure:
    iMac, Retina 5k, 27-inch, late 2015 Model
    4Ghz Quad-core i7
    32 GB Ram
    AMD Radeon R9 M395X 4GB graphic card
    Running Catalina OS (and the graphic drivers associated with Catalina).

Same issue on
    Macbook Pro, Retina, 13-inch, mid 2014 model
    3 Ghz i7
    16 GB ram
    Intel Iris 1536 Mb Graphic card
    Running Mojave OS and the drivers associated with Mojave

Note sure what the stats are from my friend's Mac, same issue though.

Happy to hear there is a version of FG that runs well on Macs or at least some Macs. Will be great to find out what the bug is so it can run well on all newer Macs...

I'm running:

Macbook Pro, Retina, 13-inch, early 2015 Model
    2.7 GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i5
    8 GB 1867 MHz DDR3
    Intel Iris Graphics 6100 1536 MB
    Running Catalina 10.15.3 (19D76)

It is noticibly laggy, and is the only program other than VMware that has caused the fans to be audible at all on this laptop. The only other program running is Chrome for my google hangouts meet.

- 5E
    - No extensions
    - Had a map, Party Window, Combat tracker open. May have had an encounter open as well.
    - 1 image window
    -- 2 layers (1 for the image, 1 for masking)
    -- No LoS
    -- No Fx layers

Any news on the programming update and making Fantasy Grounds truly Mac compatible?

Your /Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports/ directory contains text files with information from times your Mac was running hard.
    The file names are like "Fantasy Grounds_2020-05-23-215721_bsMBP16.cpu_resource.diag"
    I tried to attach an example (which shows my FGU runs hard but not 600%) but since it looks like it doesn't work, it's pasted here:
    https://pastebin.com/mL66i471

You can also find/view these files by running the app called "Console".
    If your system is running so hard it powers down, I'm sure it would create a diag file too (and show the 600%)

I can say that I'm experiencing the same behaviour. I'm using the free version to connect to our DM. We playing with 5 in total (incl. the DM).
    As soon as we play, my iMac 27" 2017 version with 16 GB and Radeon Pro 580 8GB.
    While playing FGU the CPU is constant between 100-110%. Only have 1 map open.

Any updates on the above behaviour?

Thread Information