Starfinder Playlist
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

5e Sorcerer behaving randomly

Hi All

We're playing a campaign on FGU and everything has worked fairly well today, except for our Dragonborn sorcerer. Regardless of who he targets with spells, the CT seems to assign a (seemingly) random target. Then, when he rolls damage, it assigns the damage to a (often different) random entity on the CT (even including allies). We have tried deleteing and re-adding him to the CT, as well as exiting FG altogether and reloading. No change.

Only difference from the standard modules (PHB, DMG, etc) bought from FG is that we are using a number of Rob2E modules for class, race, effects, etc.

Any advice, please? Our DM is pulling his hair out...

Thanks.

Welcome to the forums and FG Community!

Are they on a Mac and using the single button mouse?

Thanks for the welcome! FG looks amazing, but I have a LOT to learn...

The player in question is using a Windows 10 laptop (all the players and DM are on Windows 10, if that's relevant?).

Anything else we can check?

Quote Originally Posted by gplawrenson View Post
    Hi All

We're playing a campaign on FGU and everything has worked fairly well today, except for our Dragonborn sorcerer. Regardless of who he targets with spells, the CT seems to assign a (seemingly) random target. Then, when he rolls damage, it assigns the damage to a (often different) random entity on the CT (even including allies). We have tried deleteing and re-adding him to the CT, as well as exiting FG altogether and reloading. No change.

Only difference from the standard modules (PHB, DMG, etc) bought from FG is that we are using a number of Rob2E modules for class, race, effects, etc.

Any advice, please? Our DM is pulling his hair out...

Thanks.
    An update to the problem we are experiencing: we have established that when the Sorcerer's player targets an entity but the DM does the actual rolls to cast the spell, rolls for damage, etc it works fine.

It is only going haywire when the Sorcerer's player tries to roll to hit or rolls for damage.

We have tried removing all his spells and replacing them with the Rob2E versions, but that made no difference.

No other player is having any issues like this.

Help?

Thanks!

Maybe go back to the basics:
    • Are you sure the player of the sorcerer is targeting the right character?
    • Do they just click the ability rolls, or drag the roll?
    • Click should roll against the current target, drag will depend on where they drop it.
      • Do they drag the roll into the chat? -> Should roll against the current target.
      • Do they drag over the map? -> Rolls against the token it has been dropped on.
      • Do they drag into the combat tracker? -> Rolls against which entry it is dropped on. If unaware of this behavior it might look like randomly targeting. (I have a suspicion this might be what is happening?)
    Last edited by Speculi; May 10th, 2020 at 13:03.

Good Day Gplawrenson
    Have you tried removing the character from the CT and reading them? Or if not too far along, remake the character and level up from 1st and give them back their items?

Quote Originally Posted by Speculi View Post
    Maybe go back to the basics:
    • Are you sure the player of the sorcerer is targeting the right character?
    • Do they just click the ability rolls, or drag the roll?
    • Click should roll against the current target, drag will depend on where they drop it.
      • Do they drag the roll into the chat? -> Should roll against the current target.
      • Do they drag over the map? -> Rolls against the token it has been dropped on.
      • Do they drag into the combat tracker? -> Rolls against which entry it is dropped on. If unaware of this behavior it might look like randomly targeting. (I have a suspicion this might be what is happening?)
    Hi Speculi

Thanks for the reply. Yep, eliminating the possibility of a PABCAK is good advice!

I've confirmed with our sorcerer, Bharash the Brave, that he CTRL-clicks on the CT to select target(s) and then drags onto the chat box to roll attack or damage. This is the method we taught the group to use when we first started on FG and everyone seems to use this. Worth noting: this is also what our DM does when he rolls on Brarash's behalf. When the DM does it, it works fine. only when Brarash rolls does it misbehave...

We haven't progressed to working out AoE mechanics in FG for spells, so even when using fireball, etc, we still manually CRTL-click to select multiple targets.

So, still haven't figured out what's going on!

Quote Originally Posted by Bonkon View Post
    Good Day Gplawrenson
    Have you tried removing the character from the CT and reading them? Or if not too far along, remake the character and level up from 1st and give them back their items?
    Hi Bonkon

Yes, we tried removing the sorcerer from the CT and re-adding, as well as getting him to exit FG altogether and reload. Neither helped.

I had thought to (as a last resort) delete the character and rebuild. A bit of a pain - we were playing non-virtually, so our characters are 9th level with all the associated "baggage" including some homebrew items, etc. So, I've converted everyone's characters once already, but I'll probably give this a try as the next logical variable to eliminate...

Have you verified that the user has not toggled the targeting option in the upper left of the modifier box below the chat window? That option specifies whether targeting is used when making rolls from sheets via double-click.

Regards,
    JPG

Blog Entries
    Pebkac
    "I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind."

- John Diefenbaker

RIP Canada, February 21, 2022

Thread Information