5E Character Create Playlist
Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Resolution fix? FG is blurry. Help required.

Greetings Gamers,

I've been waiting for an update to fix the resolution issues with FG Unity before I started to use the program, however, it seems there isn't one. My classic FG is crisp and sharp. So I have a question. Everything in Unity appears blurry or distorted from the dice, text, and character sheets. I asked my buddy if he has the same issue, and he does as well. I've attached a screenshot of the dice to show what I'm talking about. FG Res Issue.png

I use Win10. I have a 1920x1080 resolution with a 100% scale in my windows display settings. There does not appear to be any resolution settings within FG Unity. I know there is a ScaleUI option. Which I used. But it makes things larger or smaller but the blurry text, dice, and images still remain.

Is this normal for Unity? Or is there anything I can do to fix this issue?

Thanks in advance for any who help.

Blog Entries
    This has been reported and is known. It is being worked on. Their are some font and related changes coming in the next update (expected today). Don't know if it will resolve this issue or not, but hopefully will make some improvements in it.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LordEntrails View Post
    This has been reported and is known. It is being worked on. Their are some font and related changes coming in the next update (expected today). Don't know if it will resolve this issue or not, but hopefully will make some improvements in it.
    The upcoming release will address fuzzy text at a UI scale of 100%. It will be improved at other scales, but to make it pixel perfect at scales other than 1:1 will require some additional work that is outside the scope of the text rendering. I have also updated the dice to match Fantasy Grounds Classic. I do not know if the dice changes it will make it into the next release or the release following.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pindercarl View Post
    The upcoming release will address fuzzy text at a UI scale of 100%. It will be improved at other scales, but to make it pixel perfect at scales other than 1:1 will require some additional work that is outside the scope of the text rendering. I have also updated the dice to match Fantasy Grounds Classic. I do not know if the dice changes it will make it into the next release or the release following.
    Great to hear. I was hoping

Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

it’s still blurry and tiny

Areas have certainly improved for me in terms of blurry text. The dice being the most notable improvement.

However I too am still seeing some pretty bad blurring of text, especially along the hotbar. See my post sharing my experience of it linked below:

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...-Font-Aliasing

I think Smiteworks are aware though, and appreciate that it is a real issue in such a text heavy programme.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by stevica View Post
    Fantasy Grounds uses fixed pixel sizes for the UI, i.e., it does not automatically scale to match your resolution. If you are running a high resolution display, try using the scaleui command in the chat window. For example "/scaleui 150" will scale the UI to 150%. The accepted ranges are 50 to 200.

Quote Originally Posted by pindercarl View Post
    Fantasy Grounds uses fixed pixel sizes for the UI, i.e., it does not automatically scale to match your resolution. If you are running a high resolution display, try using the scaleui command in the chat window. For example "/scaleui 150" will scale the UI to 150%. The accepted ranges are 50 to 200.
    Hi Carl,

I appreciate that that would explain small text. I'm guessing not the blurriness though, right? I don't know anything about the matter to make comments other than I am seeing some odd blurring of text (eg. https://i.imgur.com/omsOoPR.png)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by stevica View Post
    I think you are going to have to give us more details in order for the devs to be able to act upon your experience. Please see https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...s-and-Problems

They will also need to know things like screen resolution, scaleui setting, and any windows scale settings etc.

It seems like part of the issue is that the font is being downscaled somewhere in the rendering image, even at scaleui 100. As an example, my group is using our own custom font extension, using Fira Sans font at 18 pts for chat messages. However, as you can see in the below screenshot, the font as actually rendered is slightly fuzzy, which seems to be due to the fact that it's actually rendering as significantly smaller than 18 pt. Is this intended behavior (That some sort of universal scaling is applied outside of scaleui such that text is downsized from it's stated pt size?)

uiscale.png

Edit: To make sure it's clear:
    Windows UI scaling is at 100% (default)
    FG scaleui is at 100
    My resolution is 2560x1440 (though all members of my group are experiencing the same issue)
    The font is set to 18 pt Fira Sans Regular, the same font being previewed on the right in that screenshot. Exact xml snippit is
    <font name="chatfont">
    <ttf name="Fira Sans" size="18" file="graphics/fonts/FiraSans-Regular.ttf"/>
    <color value="#261A10"/>
    </font>
    Last edited by LillySprout; June 14th, 2020 at 00:05.

Thread Information