5E Character Create Playlist
Page 3 of 4 First 1234 Last
    Blog Entries
    Note, a new character export option has just been added;
    • [CoreRPG/5E/4E/3.5E/PFRPG/Cypher/Fate/13A/CoC/CnC/d20Mod] Add export radial menu option to PC records.
    https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...l=1#post552747

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Quote Originally Posted by LordEntrails View Post
    If it's about backup, then why bother exporting? Should you be backing up your entire FG Data folder anyway? Or at least the campaigns subfolder? And you know, doing a proper off site backup?

Just exporting the xml to another folder/file on the same computer hard drive is buying you very little.
    Fair enough. But there are also a number of things I found earlier when looking at how to do stuff that involve editing a character's xml. It's useful to have the raw xml not only to manually edit for upload, but also just to see how a character works, or see how actual powers work so you can build a homebrew ability or whatever yourself. And since the character xml is the only thing I actually care about backing up or doing this with (since I'm not a GM so I don't have other items I need) it feels like there's a lot of unnecessary work for me to just get an xml file.

There's also the fact that creating a campaign adds a lot of unnecessary stuff to my FG folder. Like, it's not much, not even 1MB, but it's superfluous for anyone who wants to backup characters, as XML or not.

And again, the fact that FGC has a single "manage characters" button when compared to the improved character functionality in FGU being hidden in creating multiple campaigns (one for every ruleset!!) for your own characters is annoying, and won't be obvious—which is especially problematic for a user who may not visit the forums. I get that "just google it" is easy, but FGC has a single, obvious button that immediately lets me know where to go to do what I want. In FGU, we have to find this forum post, or watch the video.* "Create campaign" is VERY different from "manage characters".

...actually, thinking about it, I would honestly be ok with a "manage characters" button that just did the exact same thing as "create campaign" (maybe with LAN defaulted). I mean, it would be nice if the interface maybe had something like "choose the ruleset that has characters you want to backup", but just the addition of a button labeled "manage characters" even if it has the same functionality would probably go a long way to assist any more casual user who wants to backup characters.

*It's a good video, and I appreciate the addition of the XML bit.

Blog Entries
    As of today, all you need to do is right click to access the brand new Character Export

Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Quote Originally Posted by LordEntrails View Post
    As of today, all you need to do is right click to access the brand new Character Export
    Where is that? I've right clicked in the main menu and my GM's campaign in various places/character portraits, so I assume it's on the campaign we have to make for our own characters?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Felderburg View Post
    Where is that? I've right clicked in the main menu and my GM's campaign in various places/character portraits, so I assume it's on the campaign we have to make for our own characters?
    Right click on an open field of the character sheet itself, select the Export option;
    Screen Shot 11-15-20 at 04.34 PM.PNG

Well I might not have had the update when I last looked, this is fantastic! Thank you!

I know I'm a little late to the conversation but I really wanted to comment on this. I will need to check out the right click, export thing. but I agree with you 100%. The fact that I cant get on right now and try it because my GM doesn't have the campaign launched, is the problem. And I think its the root problem of all these issues. The way its setup you don't really have ownership of your character. The only reason you have access to it is because your GM permits it. I really wish that on your personal account, you can make a character and import them into any game you want. Or export as xml. This would open up the door to a lot of possibilities, I think. I know other vtt applications already do this but it would be nice to be able to use FG as a digital character sheet in an in person game. My group sometimes play in person and sometimes on FG. When I'm in person I really prefer to have pen and paper. So it would be nice to just click print and your updated character sheet prints out in a user friendly format. I really do think that FG has it about 95% right, but this character issue is a really big deal and it makes using FG kind of difficult for me.

Quote Originally Posted by jrobinson2710 View Post
    I know I'm a little late to the conversation...
    Welcome to the FG forums!

Quote Originally Posted by jrobinson2710 View Post
    I really wish that on your personal account, you can make a character and import them into any game you want. Or export as xml.
    You can. See my video linked in post #17. There is a common misconception that you can't do what you request - hence why I created the video to help explain the options available.
    Last edited by Trenloe; June 18th, 2021 at 15:17.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Here are instructions after playing around Exporting a character from a current campaign so I can view it offline.

Instructions to Export your Character file from your current FGU game to View Offline in FGU
    In your current game, right on your Character sheet and select the "Export Record" icon.
    Save to a directory on your PC (sorry I don't have Mac instructions but it can't be much different).
    The filename will default to MySaveFile.xml Change it to your character name or not and Save.

Right click and "Exit FG session" - select "Return to Launcher"

In the FG Launcher window, you'll Create your own Campaign.
    You aren't going to do anything other than view the character here so don't worry about actually making a campaign environment.

Create Campaign
    - Give it a name.
    - Select your game ruleset ruleset
    - Select *Private on the Server List give it a password
    - Hit Start

Once in your own Campaign:
    - Select "Characters" button
    from the Character Selection window, click the blue up arrow to "Import Character"
    - This opens a Import Character window. Click the blue up arrow again "Import Character File"
    - A window will open to navigate to where you saved your Exported MySaveFile.xml
    Once you find and open the .xml it will now be in the "Character Selection" window (from the Characters button).

The next time you want to view the same Character or load a new version of the same one or a new character after it's killed, you'll click the "Load Campaign" button and just select your previously Created Campaign.

I've created test characters in Pathfinder 1e and D&D 5e and they import into each environments without a problem as well as tested several dummy characters to import and export between 1e and 5e and didn't have a problem.

@1066 - you don’t need to export the character to XML. All characters used within FG campaigns on your computer are available to import when you open an offline campaign for the same ruleset. See the video linked in post #17.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Thread Information