FG Spreadshirt Swag
Page 1 of 4 123 ... Last

How to export a character?

Since the FGU does not have a manage characters button, and there is no option to export characters in the PC screen, how do you export a character from one campaign into another?

Quote Originally Posted by Dalton Calford View Post
    Since the FGU does not have a manage characters button, and there is no option to export characters in the PC screen, how do you export a character from one campaign into another?
    From memory, I believe you can now just open the campaign you want to import INTO... click import... and characters from every campaign will be available.

Quote Originally Posted by pollux View Post
    From memory, I believe you can now just open the campaign you want to import INTO... click import... and characters from every campaign will be available.
    Assuming you are the GM for both campaigns, I believe this is correct. If you are a player looking to export, while in the relevant campaign go into the characters menu, hit the edit button on the bottom right of the window, then click the export button on the character.

Indeed, click edit in character selection and then the blue down arrow. Or type /exportchar <name> in chat.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Quote Originally Posted by Zacchaeus View Post
    Indeed, click edit in character selection and then the blue down arrow. Or type /exportchar <name> in chat.
    Neither of these options work for me. In the character selection, I have three options: character wizard, import character, and new character. My GM has "edit list" apparently. The /exportchar just gave me a list of slash commands available to me (I did rename the character to a single word, just in case spaces or whatever messed it up).

Quote Originally Posted by Felderburg View Post
    Neither of these options work for me. In the character selection, I have three options: character wizard, import character, and new character. My GM has "edit list" apparently. The /exportchar just gave me a list of slash commands available to me (I did rename the character to a single word, just in case spaces or whatever messed it up).
    Welcome to the FG forums. Only the person running the campaign (the GM) can export characters from the campaign.

If you’re using FGU you can start up a campaign (use it just for PCs) and have access to PCs you’ve used in that ruleset in other games you’ve joined from that computer.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Thanks for the reply. In FG classic, I was able to use the "manage characters" button and just download from what I assume was the local cache or whatever. But now, I have to create a whole campaign to download my own character's xml? Is there no way to just access the xml somewhere, or to download with in an easier method? Because this was a pretty annoying workaround.

The Manage Characters button in FGC does essentially the same thing as loading a campaign; except that the Manage Characters had some limitations that always ended up causing issues due to limited access. By accessing in a full campaign, everything is available to use after importing your character. It's really just a different set of steps; and roughly the same amount of steps.

Regards,
    JPG

I suppose what I'm getting at is this: why can't I just download my character's xml from right within the campaign? That would be much easier for me as a user.

Quote Originally Posted by Felderburg View Post
    why can't I just download my character's xml from right within the campaign?
    Right from within the GM's campaign when you're connected to them? This would require a major change to the architecture as players don't have direct access to the FG database to do things like that. Hence why you need to load up your own campaign infrastructure - Manage Characters in FGC or load a "character management" campaign in FGU. This has the advantage of allowing you to access your character XML even when the GM's campaign isn't running. In FGU it allows you to access *all* of your characters for a specific ruleset in one single campaign. You're actually getting more functionality in FGU, for the slightly "annoying" thing of having to take a few seconds to load a campaign in FGU.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Thread Information