STAR TREK 2d20

Newest Installer does not create start menu shortcuts

Newest Installer does not create start menu shortcuts in Windows 10. I installed it yesterday. This was not the case in the previous versions.
    The past is a rudder to guide us, not an anchor to hold us back.

Quote Originally Posted by Valyar View Post
    Newest Installer does not create start menu shortcuts in Windows 10. I installed it yesterday. This was not the case in the previous versions.
    This was an intentional removal with a recent security fix.
    In short, since the installer is being run as admin, if the installer tries to access the current user's desktop, windows will tell them the admin user's desktop location.

So if you have 2 users, NonAdminUser and AdminUser

Say you install FGU on NonAdminUser's account. The installer will elevate permissions, and prompt you to add a desktop shortcut.
    The installer will then add a shortcut to AdminUser's desktop, rendering the shortcut not super useful to NonAdminUser

For this and several issues, we moved shortcuts to the new "First time user" setup user tutorial instead, within the Fantasy Grounds updater itself, which users will only see if they have never used the updater before.
    This is currently ONLY available on that first time setup though, so perhaps I can add a link to generate desktop icons in the settings.

Start menu, not desktop shortcut. The program is not searchable in the start menu even with search function. I have to manually create that.
    Also, there is no second account, the system has one active account that is part of the local admin group and the other are system and disabled.

So... I don’t think this is good. I am power user and know how to address this, but many people have no idea.

So HUH? I have used the updater before, but after a series of unfortunate events had to reload both unity and classic as well as restore windows. Now opening unity is a PITA. Classic retained the shortcut. I just want to open FGU without hunting through a bunch of folders to find the launcher. Only one user on the machine. i think a desktop shortcut would be easy enough to ask for during the setup or update series.

Creating and dragging a shortcut onto the desktop is not hard, just seems unnecessary.
    Last edited by Stumbler; June 19th, 2020 at 22:09.

This still persist, FGU does not register anywhere except Add/Remove programs on Windows 10.

Thread Information