STAR TREK 2d20

Rob Twohty's modules

hi

I am just learning FGU and using it for 5ed. Obviously there are many things that the 5ed 3 book standard package does not do for you (such as rage, backstab ect..) and one may either do this by hand inside the game or code it yourself (which sounds like a pain) I ran across a set of modules on the DM's guild by Rob Twohy https://www.dmsguild.com/product/280...-Coding-BUNDLE which seem to do exactly what I want. However the price is high enough that I want to know what I am buying.

here are my questions:
    1. I gather that once I down load the files I put them in a folder myself rather than them being downloaded when I run FGU as the D&D books are
    2. I am planning on upgrading my machine within the month. I assume that when I buy the code it can run and download it to this machine. I don't need to buy it again if I am running FGU on my new machine
    3. do I put these as extensions in that folder? If not where?

thanks

Good Day Bilbobolen
    I do not own any of these, but looking at your link (Plus Rob Twohy's reputation) they would all be great to own and easy to use.
    1. Correct, if you are in Windows 10 it should go to your Download folder, Then you would manually move them to you FG modules folder (Not the extensions folder).
    2. Again Correct, once you purchase it from DMsGuild it will be in your library there and you can download it to your new machine and place it in the modules folder, no re-buying.
    3. These are *.mod files so the go in the modules folder. Extensions will be *.ext files.

Forgot to say you will need to open the modules in your library inside FG just like you do the books you own.
    Last edited by Bonkon; May 5th, 2020 at 23:10. Reason: Forgot the last step :)

So basically what you are buying is a group of modules (.mod files for Fantasy Grounds always go in the modules directory) that have the effects coded for 5E to make most things clickable for a character. They are a great enhancement that make 5E characters functions much more robust.

For instance, if you are running a Paladin with divine smite you can drag and drop from the module to the character sheet. Then when you want to divine smite something you just click on the effect, it is automatically added to the combat tracker, and then you smite your enemy divinely and it handles all the extras for you.

In some cases, for instance, rogue sneak attack, you need to manually increase the amount of damage when damage increases. That's not a big deal (3 quick changes for every however many sneak attacks between required changes). By the time you need to change it you will probably have a handle on changing it.

Also one other great thing is that you can learn a lot from the modules by just looking at how they setup the effect on the character sheet. It helps know how these things are done just so you can put something together that you suddenly have need for but isn't available.

The coding set is one of the first non-official products I ever bought for my 5E campaigns and we have never stopped using them.

The only drawback is that you need to manually update the modules whenever there is an update. It is a simple matter of logging into DMsguild and checking for updates but I sometimes forget and several updates go by. Usually not that big a deal but something to keep in mind.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bilbobolen View Post
    hi

I am just learning FGU and using it for 5ed. Obviously there are many things that the 5ed 3 book standard package does not do for you (such as rage, backstab ect..) and one may either do this by hand inside the game or code it yourself (which sounds like a pain) I ran across a set of modules on the DM's guild by Rob Twohy https://www.dmsguild.com/product/280...-Coding-BUNDLE which seem to do exactly what I want. However the price is high enough that I want to know what I am buying.

here are my questions:
    1. I gather that once I down load the files I put them in a folder myself rather than them being downloaded when I run FGU as the D&D books are
    2. I am planning on upgrading my machine within the month. I assume that when I buy the code it can run and download it to this machine. I don't need to buy it again if I am running FGU on my new machine
    3. do I put these as extensions in that folder? If not where?

thanks
    Feel free to drop by the Discord if you have more questions.
    rob2e - Join me on Discord!
    Become a Patron!
    Follow me on the Twitters
    Come watch the Twitches... twitch.tv/rob2e
    Also my YouTube Channel
    Available on the FORGE
    My Dungeon Master's Guild Material

Thread Information