DICE PACKS BUNDLE

Thread: LoS issue

LoS issue

It looks like toggling LoS on and off "breaks" LoS. If LoS is currently on, then turning it off and on again won't re-enable it.
    The only way I've found to "fix" the issue is to quit and relaunch.

Further, the state of the button isn't clear. Sometimes it will be blue for on, and other times black for on.

Running FGU v4.0.0 ULTIMATE (2020-04-29) on macOS.

Screen Shot 2020-05-03 at 7.17.42 PM.png

Yes, turning LOS off and on again won't enable it in the GM's view but unsharing and resharing the map does allow continued toggling of the player's view. Closing and reopening the map allows toggling of the GM's view.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dire Weasel View Post
    It looks like toggling LoS on and off "breaks" LoS. If LoS is currently on, then turning it off and on again won't re-enable it.
    The only way I've found to "fix" the issue is to quit and relaunch.

Further, the state of the button isn't clear. Sometimes it will be blue for on, and other times black for on.

Running FGU v4.0.0 ULTIMATE (2020-04-29) on macOS.

Screen Shot 2020-05-03 at 7.17.42 PM.png
    Sorry for the late response. This was logged as FGU-1079 and should be fixed in the next update.

Not really a fault, but LOS mapping for a cave system is a nightmare. I am thinking very few players will run homebrew cave levels on FGU, except maybe really small levels. (5 rooms or less).

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gumbledook View Post
    Not really a fault, but LOS mapping for a cave system is a nightmare. I am thinking very few players will run homebrew cave levels on FGU, except maybe really small levels. (5 rooms or less).
    A few helpful tips for creating LOS for cave systems. 1) Don't be precious about the fidelity of the occluders. The important part is what the players see, or more specifically, what they do not see. 2) When adding lots of freeform points, I tend to use the space bar to add points rather than mouse clicks. 3) When editing tight spaces, I turn off magnetic snapping. (You can toggle it off temporarily by holding down the CTRL key.

As a bit of dogfooding, I grabbed a map of the Crystal Cave in Wisconsin and wanted to see how much I could accomplish in half-an-hour. While I didn't get to all of the internal structures, I was able to map out the entire exterior of the caves.

crystal cave Player view.JPG crystal cave occluders CU.JPG crystal cave occluders.JPG

Blog Entries
    To elaborate on Carl's comments regarding fidelity. Remember, we really don't need more than 2-3 points per 5 foot square at any time. And often times you can go for many fewer than that, especially with terrain occluders since in general tokens are going to be on one of the snap points. In short, I try to allow the graphics to show the details of the cave irregularity, not the LOS occluders.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

It might be worth considering adding circles and arc segment occluders. It would require calculating the tangent points for the vision rays but it might? be cheaper than a using a lot of points.

I have made Level 2 of the Cult in Against the Cult of the Reptile God using Dungeonfog, and was dreading having to do the LOS work on it. However, following your advice on not being to precious about following each and every nook and cranny of the caves, but instead in many areas drawing an almost straight line. It was finished in a fraction of the time. Also testing it with a character token it looked fine. In fact it actually looked better than the caves that I had been more meticulous with. Many thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Gumbledook View Post
    I am thinking very few players will run homebrew cave levels on FGU
    Well, if by homebrew you mean draw the map yourself using the paint tools, you can lay the LOS over the entire thing with a single click.
    https://fantasygroundsunity.atlassia...the+Brush+Tool

I notice "crystal cave occluders CU.JPG" is using polygon and not grid shading on previously seen areas. That defiantly looks better. Is a soft edge to the polygon LOS in the works?

Thread Information