FG Spreadshirt Swag
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Full update everytime

Apologies if this is the incorrect forum - new user.

Purchased/downloaded unity.

Whenever I tell it to update (to get new content that I have purchased) it does a full download of everything..i.e. every system etc instead of just new packages - anyway to stop this?? It takes forever...
    Last edited by fege; March 22nd, 2020 at 11:17.

Welcome to the FG forums fege!

Is it actually doing a new download of *everything*? Or is it checking everything? You'll see each package being checked, but only those with changes are actually downloading. And, yes, it does take a while even to just check.

The bottom bar (green) shows the update progress in terms of checking each of the products you own. The bar just above that (blue) populates and shows progress when it's actually doing an update of an individual product.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

You may already know this, but it's also not necessary to update FGU every time you start it. If it needs to update, the update button will be red on the join/host a game launchy page.

Also also, the update servers are especially slow right now with all the new users and everyone being stuck at home for virus quarantine. In general, it only takes 10 or 20 seconds on the rare occasion that I check for updates and don't need to download anything.

Thanks for the replies Trenloe and pollux - appreciate it - yep another stuck at home new user! But can't complain too much - At least my job is safe!

My update button is always red and it does a complete download every time. I only have the starting srd content and the Lost mines of Phandelver.
    It takes about 2 minutes each time

Quote Originally Posted by Tongue View Post
    My update button is always red and it does a complete download every time. I only have the starting srd content and the Lost mines of Phandelver.
    It takes about 2 minutes each time
    Welcome to the forums!

As you can see here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...468#post497468 there are pretty much updates every other day. The updater will only update things that have changed (see the details of the different coloured bars in post #2 above). It checks everything, so it sometimes looks like it's updating everything, but it will only update what has changed.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

OK thanks for your help. I did watch the bars but it seemed that the blue status bar was pretty much downloading something every time. Either way I didn't realize there were that many updates occurring. I had a few players stuck on acquiring files and I likely wrongly assumed it couldn't possibly be updating again since I just updated it a day ago. It seems everyone should probably take the two minutes to update every time they join the campaign even if it was just yesterday.

I am having a similar problem as well. Every time I run the updater it downloads an update for the updater, relaunches, and then downloads the FGU main program. I've updated a couple times today just to check and it does this every time I update. I haven't had issues before, my security is off, and I have FGU and the updater both running as Admin. Not sure why it keeps doing this.

I've asked our updater developer, Ryan, to take a look at this thread; and see if he has any ideas or needs any information.

Regards,
    JPG

Quote Originally Posted by sciencesean View Post
    I am having a similar problem as well. Every time I run the updater it downloads an update for the updater, relaunches, and then downloads the FGU main program. I've updated a couple times today just to check and it does this every time I update. I haven't had issues before, my security is off, and I have FGU and the updater both running as Admin. Not sure why it keeps doing this.
    So, as of yesterday, we shipped a new updater version that changes things permission-wise. Basically because we previously required admin, and non-admin users would have incorrect settings locations.

Basically, from here on out you shouldn't generally need to run as admin.
    Are you on a non-admin user account (then running the app as admin) or an admin user account?

If troubles persist, I would suggest grabbing the latest installer from
    https://fantasygrounds.com/filelibra...WebInstall.exe [PC]
    https://fantasygrounds.com/filelibra...WebInstall.pkg [MAC]

I'd recommend grabbing the latest version for anyone else still having issues in this thread as well, since the permissions issues may have been affecting you.

Thread Information