FG Spreadshirt Swag

Automatically use power points when casting a spell

So I have a character with Arcane Background (magic) and have 10 current power points. I have the bolt power and when I cast the spell in the combat tracker, the power points still shows 10. Since bolt costs 1 power point to cast, how do I automatically make the current power points to go down one? Or do I need to manually update the value myself?

Thanks,

Alan

For now modify yourself. The problem is that in SW you can modify your spells with more power points to change the damage, AP, range, etc., so it isn't just 1 power point every cast.

Yes, Ikael was trying to set up the auto decrement of power points with the ammo tracker that's currently in test. There's a ton of factors that makes this very complicated...all the modifiers that you can add and the ability to shorten. Too many factors to automate without possibly having problems so Ikael is not adding it right now

Thanks for the replies. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't doing something wrong.

If possible I would like a quick fix of another field "PP used" or similar, that we enter in ourselves and when we cast a spell its that manual PP field that automatically deducts the PP used.

Also, we can change the name of the spell to include our text for working out the PP of the spell used.
    As you can have say 3 versions of the spell listed with different PP used.
    eg
    Blast 3PP
    Blast Large Template 4PP
    Blast 3d6 damage & Large Template 6PP

But you could still decide to short the spell at any time and use less power points. I just turn on display PP on the portrait and make sure it gets lowered when someone uses a power.

Then there are all the generic modifiers you might add, on the fly...hinder, fatigue, lingering, etc...and all the combinations of them...empowered ap fatiguing lingering bolt...you could have a dozen entries just for bolt.

So even with that field a player might do as you suggest and fill in that field for the most common powers and still decide to short it or use other modifiers at some point.
    Last edited by IceBear; May 8th, 2020 at 02:28.

It seems to me either way you do it you just need the flexibility to manually modify the PP total, is all. But like setting up sub-attacks for 3RB or Full-Auto that isn't a problem, I don't think. Instead of being all-manually-tracked-all-the-time you can at least change that to manual tracking only some of the time, so I think the suggesting may still be useful.
    Lenny Zimmermann
    Metairie, LA

Sure...Ikael is looking into it...he was actually working on it at the same time as the ammo tracker but it got more complicated than there was time and resources for. I'm sure he'll add something like your suggestion eventually. Right now the manual deduction isn't as bad as i feared....my situation is even worse as I'm running Tyrnador which has the concept of locked and burnt power points...so we have 3 pp fields to track

This is not my official answer to the topic, but if you really need to have just one extra field in character sheet that defines how many power points is going to be consumed, here is an extension that does just that. I used this piece of code to test the Power Point Consumer but like it was stated in these threads, Power Points usage are more complex than just that. I want to provide proper way for it in the official ruleset but meanwhile you can use this extension. It is not perfect and doesn't have all the bells and whistles like Ammo consumer has.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    "Alright, you primitive screwheads, listen up: THIS... is my BOOMSTICK!" -- Ash Williams, Army of Darkness

Post your SavageWorlds ruleset feature requests and issue reports here!

Ikael, THANKS !!!, this will do nicely for now.

It works a treat.

Just in case you have not seen it, checkout Barbarians of Lemuria magic, it might of use.

Thread Information