Starfinder Playlist
Page 2 of 3 First 123 Last
    Blog Entries
    I've run plenty of one-shots for folks who have never used FG, a few who have never played RPGs. Almost all of them pick it up within the first hour of actual play. For all of these they have pre-gen characters that I set up, so I can point them to where the things are they need. GMing can take a lot more, but you don't have to use it all.

Learn what you need to get started, then learn a little more. Don't try to learn it all before your first session. Remember, How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnD View Post
    If you have someone who knows what they're doing giving you a walk through, you can learn enough to be a competent player in about 75 minutes (assuming you have average 21st century computer acumen). The DM side takes longer than that, but a good player base will form a solid foundation for the DM stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by LordEntrails View Post
    I've run plenty of one-shots for folks who have never used FG, a few who have never played RPGs. Almost all of them pick it up within the first hour of actual play. For all of these they have pre-gen characters that I set up, so I can point them to where the things are they need. GMing can take a lot more, but you don't have to use it all.

Learn what you need to get started, then learn a little more. Don't try to learn it all before your first session. Remember, How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time.
    Thank you both. In all honesty, you're probably correct in that I'll need some aid. I'm going to try to eat as much of the elephant as I can, though, so I at least have an idea about what it is I want to know, hahaha. I'm certainly no genius by any stretch of the imagination, though, and don't hold any illusions that I can do it all without any kind of help.

Quote Originally Posted by Beemanpat View Post
    I haven't taken classes but I bet there is some gems to had there. There is a learning curve. I watch YouTube videos. Search the forums. Players do have it easier so if I'm struggling with something most times I'll make a quick ruling to keep th game moving and the player will search for the answer online then share it so we'll all hopefully remember it next time.
    The biggest and bestest asset is right here. People on here are so helpful. Cant find it in a search on here just ask.
    Anyway my 2 cents. Hope you like it and welcome to the forums.
    They really are. The very first response to this thread has a link to a thread with a directory of many helpful threads and videos on both specific tasks and generic use. I was also able to find an additional YouTube series that really has a nice step-by-step-from-nothing tutorial for Unity (the aforementioned directory is nice, but seems to lack that, unless I missed it) by a user called Stoehovve. Very informative for a person like me, though it might take a few days to watch and take in all of the info. (I'm just now starting the 7th video of 22, and I skipped the first three, hah.)

I'll toss a link if anyone is interested.

EDIT: Meant that link for the general "you," not specifically "you," so I changed to to "anyone." XD
    EDIT2: Also, for anyone reading, it's been brought to my attention that the playlist linked above does have at least some discrepancies/errors. If you happen to use it on your own, be aware of that and have FGU open so it's easier to follow along and spot them. (Or read the helpful comments left by viewers.)
    Last edited by Sarteck; May 4th, 2020 at 13:00.

I’ve owned FG and only recently started DMing and using FG properly. While the current global situation gave rise to the opportunity to play the learning curve also held me back. I mucked around starting to make my own modules etc but trial and error really played a big part. I’m now four sessions in and the players pretty much know what’s what now, every session I try to inform them of a new thing in FG and a new D&D Rule that we haven’t used yet. Ultimately fun is the main thing and if you figure out enough to run your first session you’ll be in business.

Just a heads up (mostly for those from Roll20 that I linked to this thread), FantasyGrounds staff quickly replied to my e-mail asking for credit on my 30-day Ultimate sub so that I could just switch it to the one-time purchase.

You guys sold me on it; it's a great product, and I'm in.

Glad you switched. Welcome. If need help with anything just ask.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacchaeus View Post
    Natively the changing of the Druid portrait in your example isn't built into FG but there are at least two community extensions which do allow this; one is available directly from the forums and the other is a paid for product available via the DMsGuild.
    Hi, could you link me to both of these? I'd really appreciate it.

Also, does any one a list of "must-have super-special-chocolate-coated-goodness" extensions one should consider using?

Quote Originally Posted by Sarteck View Post
    Hi, could you link me to both of these? I'd really appreciate it.

Also, does any one a list of "must-have super-special-chocolate-coated-goodness" extensions one should consider using?
    I recommend these, these are new and was just pit on the dmguild worth it.
    https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...KentMcCullough

This is the specific one your asking about that is on dmsguild.
    https://www.dmsguild.com/product/261...ate_rem=878507
    Its one of three. The other 2 are called "One Click More" and "Dm Tools"
    They are nice.

EDIT: Just wanted to give a bit of caution. Don't go and add bunch of extensions at once. Some of them may not like each other and corrupt data. The ones I listed above play well as far as I know. But do make back up regularly just incase.
    EDIT: Not sure if these work for FGU.
    Last edited by Beemanpat; May 7th, 2020 at 11:37.

The highest fence to jump for me was getting my players to install the client on their systems. At least with "Classic" + Ultimate license there is no need for them to create any account whatsoever, which is a plus versus platforms like Roll20. On the other hand they may need to create a voice chat account on a service like Discord, so there is that. People seem to prefer using a browser based VTT account instead of running software on their computer. I hope that "Unity" will not force demo users to create an account.

Once that hurdle is overcome players got into FG easy enough, either because they learned the UI alongside the GM (myself) or because the GM knew the UI good enough to give concise instructions on what to do. It likely helps a lot to have players who are somewhat acclimated to use desktop computer programs. And once everyone gets used to all the automation (especially hit/damage rolls) they usually like that they get rid of all the "accounting" work an at-the-table printed sheet usually brings along. It's still a lot of clicking for crunch heavy systems, though.

Ended up one of my players was using Linux, and seems FGU's not out on that for the moment. Fortunately, I happen to have an extra bit of cash, found out she lives an hour south of me, and am sending her a cheap Windows laptop. XD

Quote Originally Posted by Sarteck View Post
    Ended up one of my players was using Linux, and seems FGU's not out on that for the moment. Fortunately, I happen to have an extra bit of cash, found out she lives an hour south of me, and am sending her a cheap Windows laptop. XD
    You are a great DM.

Thread Information