FG Spreadshirt Swag
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Extension Request

I am not exactly sure if there is a request section for extensions but hopefully this is alright. My group and I have been playing on pen and paper but due to the current world situation, we've had our twice-weekly 3hr sessions moved over to FG. One of the things we've always played with was that Diagonals are 10' distance instead of just 5. I found in the settings that there is a varient rule for 5/10/5/10 but that gets pretty messy for our group to handle and remember and it makes visually calculating distance harder for most of us.

I was wondering if its possible for someone to whip up a extension to force all diagonal movements to be 10' of distance? I ended up asking in a previous thread if there was a default way of doing this and one of the mods mentioned it would require an extension. Sadly im not really tech savvy at that kind of thing. If anyone could whip something up like this for the 5e platform i would really appreciate it and if its more difficult than im imagining, i'd have no problem tossin ya 5 bucks for the hassle and if you Paypal.

Anyway, thanks and let me know!

Is this for Classic or Unity?

If Classic then right click on a token and select lock tokens. Players can then click and drag their token into whatever squares they want and by releasing and holding the mouse button can move square by square, diagonal etc and whilst they do so a white line showing the path they are travelling will appear along with a distance marker. The distance will be calculated according to whatever option you have set. Once they have finished the move and if you as DM are happy with it you can middle mouse click over the token to make the move.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Quote Originally Posted by EnragedLlama View Post
    I am not exactly sure if there is a request section for extensions but hopefully this is alright. My group and I have been playing on pen and paper but due to the current world situation, we've had our twice-weekly 3hr sessions moved over to FG. One of the things we've always played with was that Diagonals are 10' distance instead of just 5. I found in the settings that there is a varient rule for 5/10/5/10 but that gets pretty messy for our group to handle and remember and it makes visually calculating distance harder for most of us.

I was wondering if its possible for someone to whip up a extension to force all diagonal movements to be 10' of distance? I ended up asking in a previous thread if there was a default way of doing this and one of the mods mentioned it would require an extension. Sadly im not really tech savvy at that kind of thing. If anyone could whip something up like this for the 5e platform i would really appreciate it and if its more difficult than im imagining, i'd have no problem tossin ya 5 bucks for the hassle and if you Paypal.

Anyway, thanks and let me know!
    When you do not want to use Lock Tokens as Zacchaeus suggested (or you play in Unity), then it may help to know that the diagonal measure of 5/10/5/10... comes from multiplying diagonal steps by 1.5 (a very rough approximation of the square root of 2 as in the Euclidean metric, but easier to calculate with than using the square root and still not as drastic as putting the multiplier to 2 or 1 (the latter is the so-called uniform norm)), i.e. diagonal square counts as 7.5 ft So, count diagonals as 7.5 and at the end round the number down to the next multiple of 5 ft. (e.g. 7.5 ft. are then 5 ft. while 15 = 2* 7.5 stays 15 and 5 + 7.5 = 12.5 becomes 10 and so on )

If you really need the 10ft. step as suggested, then I can shortly look into writing an extension (I only have to overwrite the multiplier), but 10 ft. is a very strange metric by the way, so you might want to reconsider that counting 10 ft. for the diagonals is the so-called Manhattan metric, i.e. the range measure comes by a movement which is only allowed by moving along the x- and y-axis as for taxis/cabs in Manhattan (therefore then the diagonals are 10 ft. steps because you have to move 5ft. into some direction along each axis to calculate its range (the actual move does not need to be like that; only speaking about how to calculate the range) )
    Last edited by Kelrugem; April 29th, 2020 at 22:28.

@Zacchaeus, I posted in reply but for some reason it didnt work, maybe my net was having issues. Its actually good to know about the locking/moving system but thats not exactly what im meaning, and this is for FG Classic. I know FG has the current options for handling diagonal distances as a "Standard" or "Variant" rules, Standard is that its handled as 5' per move, and the variant option handles them as 5'/10'/5'/10. What im looking for specifically is a 3rd option that changes diagonals to always the 10' distance and I think thats something that would be handled by an extension.

@Kelrugem, Very interesting to know actually how it works. I dont recall how we ended up with diagonals being 10 but i think it came from going from Hex grid to squares and it just seemed to make more sense going diagonal with hex than square. but most of our maps we have now are community maps with grids pre-made onto the image as squares and throwing hex over top is a visual mess. If you find the time to make the extension it would really be appreciated. Ill also take a little time looking into the 'manhattan metric'. Always down to learn more things =P

Quote Originally Posted by EnragedLlama View Post
    @Kelrugem, Very interesting to know actually how it works. I dont recall how we ended up with diagonals being 10 but i think it came from going from Hex grid to squares and it just seemed to make more sense going diagonal with hex than square. but most of our maps we have now are community maps with grids pre-made onto the image as squares and throwing hex over top is a visual mess. If you find the time to make the extension it would really be appreciated. Ill also take a little time looking into the 'manhattan metric'. Always down to learn more things =P
    I have uploaded an extension, should hopefully be very stable; otherwise contact me whenever it starts to break (or tinker with it a bit, in that case it might be easy to understand even with not much knowledge about coding the extension is so small that the forum lists its size even in bytes instead of KB )

To make use of that: Activate the extension in the launch screen, go into the options, and change the the distance option to Manhattan (should come after the variant option (or the raw option in FGU))

About the Manhattan metric: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taxicab_geometry
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by damned View Post
    The other way is to simply ban diagonal movement.
    Then the character must count two squares to achieve the diagonal move.
    yeah, exactly But hard to explain with RP why your characters now just move like that as in very old computer games (and might be important for things like AoOs, but one could say that only tokens moved are like that, while the RP-explanation of that movement is still diagonal and so on )

Quote Originally Posted by Kelrugem View Post
    yeah, exactly But hard to explain with RP why your characters now just move like that as in very old computer games (and might be important for things like AoOs, but one could say that only tokens moved are like that, while the RP-explanation of that movement is still diagonal and so on )
    Not sure why Token representation would factor into RP at all....

Quote Originally Posted by SirMotte View Post
    Not sure why Token representation would factor into RP at all....
    I was just joking around because I found the thought funny that everyone is only allowed to move like a taxicab in Manhattan (also in sense of RP) Many of my posts are not really meant to be serious :P
    Last edited by Kelrugem; April 30th, 2020 at 16:59.

Thread Information