DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

A (probably) stupid question about walls.

Hello,
    New to Virtual DM'ing, but FGU looked too good to pass up on.

However, while adding LOS to my maps, i noticed that none of my walls block player tokens.

At first i thought maybe it's because i was using a token from my data folder and it wasn't player controlled, but no, because even when adding a player character to the combat tracker, they still can walk through the wall.

Now i bet i'm missing something obvious (and i bet i'm going to miss lots of obvious things learning FGU) but could anyone please lead me in the right direction?

Thank you,
    Shane

Are your players moving the tokens or are you? GM can move tokens through walls.

Quote Originally Posted by avitale34 View Post
    Are your players moving the tokens or are you? GM can move tokens through walls.
    Is this seriously why?
    Yep a stupid question... x)

How would i be able to test maps as a player rather than a GM?

I heard that if i type in localhost when searching for a server that i'd join as a second player... but when i try that i get stuck in a screen saying "attempting direct connection to localhost".

Quote Originally Posted by Shane Moffatt View Post
    Is this seriously why?

I heard that if i type in localhost when searching for a server that i'd join as a second player... but when i try that i get stuck in a screen saying "attempting direct connection to localhost".
    You can just open up another instance of Fantasy Grounds and search for you own GM name and hit start! I use this all the time

Quote Originally Posted by avitale34 View Post
    You can just open up another instance of Fantasy Grounds and search for you own GM name and hit start! I use this all the time

You sorted some really obvious problems for me and alleviated my tired brain, thank you!!

You sorted some really obvious problems for me and alleviated my tired brain, thank you!!
    No worries at all, glad I could help Happy Gaming!

Is this seriously why?

I didn’t catch on right away that it was because I, the gm, could move players through walls, either. So you’re not alone!
    You can’t use (I don’t think) the localhost trick if you are running your server on the fgu cloud. You have to have it in LAN mode for that to work. I say that I don’t think you can, because I’ve not actually technically tested it as I always launch my game in cloud mode. But from a technical standpoint, your game is looking for connections from the cloud, not from the local IP, I’d suppose.

Hi there - to confirm, I use the cloud setting, and can open two clients - one is the "server" (or GM host server) and the other I use as a player connection, where it "joins" a game. Very very useful - it allows me (for example) to share stuff from the GM screen, and then see immediately what the players will see during a game. I got to trap a fair few issues that way (I do a lot of homebrew stuff, and my maps can be, err... "interpretive" :-) ). Obviously works best if you have two screens, with one being the GM host, the other the player screen.

Good luck!

Just fyi I found this useful. One helpful person helps many.

Hi all, I'm having an issue where I, as the GM, can't move the tokens through walls, was this an intended feature of an update? or am I missing an option somewhere? Thanks in advance

edit: nevermind, found out I have to hold shift to go through walls, leaving this here for anyone that has my issue
    Last edited by Manahtar; August 21st, 2021 at 13:52.

Thread Information