FG Spreadshirt Swag

Deadlands Reloaded FG: Not Enough Fate Chips in the Pot

I'm new to FG Deadlands, but have been playing tabletop Deadlands for years. One problem I'm running into is that the "pot" of Fate Chips appears to be hard-coded to a maximum of 25 chips in the pot, PERIOD. I've got 6 players, some with Luck, and the GM is supposed to get one Fate Chip per player (and Wild Card NPCs might have a couple of chips of their own), so this causes problems right away, let alone if someone immediately starts the session by role-playing a Hindrance.

How do I change the maximum size of the pot?

In real life, when I buy a box of poker chips, it typically comes in a set of 100 (50 white, 25 red, 25 blue). I'm guessing the size of the pot for FG was set at just 25 because of the "official" Pinnacle Benny sets that came in ridiculously small portions of 25.

Is there an in-game option I'm missing somewhere that sets the pot size? If so, I apologize for my idiocy/ignorance in failing to find the option, but it's been a challenge for me to navigate to even find all the options. (I've played a couple of FG Pathfinder and Starfinder campaigns before, but those didn't have Bennies or Fate Chips to worry about.)

If NOT, is there a database FILE I can edit somewhere to change the number of white, red, and blue chips? (I could probably work with 50, so doubling the number in play would be a nice start, without diluting Legend Chips too much, but I have no idea how this works under the hood.)

Any tips would be greatly appreciated! I hate when it comes time to toss someone a Benny/Fate Chip for a role-play reward, and the accursed Pot is empty.

I cannot remember the command but if you type /? it will show the options for the /chip command
    My players just defeated an army, had a dogfight with aliens, machine-gunned the zombies, stormed the tower, became Legendary and died heroically

Yours are still on combat round 6

Get Savage
    Ultimate License Holder.
    First GM to post a game for the original FG Con!

Yep, you have to add each chip individually by color, /chip add [red/blue/white]. Using reset via the party sheet won't wipe out that work but if you use the /chip reset it will go back to the 35 benny bag. The count will persist beyond a session, so should only need to do the once

Alternatively, you can go into the db.xml for your campaign and fix it under <fatechipbag>, but I think bennies are set by SavageWorlds/SWD ruleset and Deadlands by deadlands.ext.

You could probably go and fix there but would need to redo the work whenever an update came out for the file(s).

Would need to look thru files, but could probably write an extension to set your fate chip bag whenever you make a new campaign or reset bag (via chat command) to a different value. Finding what to swap would probably be the biggest amount of time.
    Last edited by Mgrancey; August 22nd, 2020 at 04:55. Reason: Had a thought
    Ultimate License Holder
    Current Campaign: Necessary Evil
    Current Project: Dawn of Daikaiju: Converting, Deadlands: Reloaded The last Sons - Quality Assurance Checking
    Discord: Mgrancey#4994
    "Mad Science" means never stopping to ask "what's the worst thing that could happen?" -- Maxim 14 of The Seventy Maxims of Maximally Effective Mercenaries
    Adventure: Keep Living Life Like There's No Tomorrow and You'll Eventually Be Right,

Thanks! I was so busy looking for buttons or drop-down options that I didn't think to check for slash-commands in the chat window.

When I used /chip reset, it changed to 35 in the pot (10 red, 5 blue, 30 white), so I can only assume that however I got to a claim of 25 in the OP, I was wrong. I used "/chip count" to find the current chip tallies, then used "/chip add white" "/chip add red" "/chip add blue" in the desired quantities (CTRL-C to copy, CTRL-V to paste several times, to save myself a bit of typing) and then used "/chip count" again to check to make sure I got to the intended new totals.

It would be nice if I could save the new "pot" for use in a future campaign, but this isn't something I plan on tweaking more than once a campaign (save perhaps for tweaking the number of Legend chips in there, if I accidentally add too many), so I can get by with this workaround.

Thanks so much for the help! It looks like I'm set now.

In chat window:
    /chip -- shows "Usage: /chip [count|total|starting|status|reset|add|remove] <colour>"

/chip total -- shows total chips in bag (no color breakdown)

/chip count -- shows breakdown of how many chips of each type are in the bag (legendary, blue, red, white)

/chip reset -- resets pot contents to 0 legendary, 5 blue, 10 red, 25 white (35 total)

/chip starting -- reports the "starting total" of each kind of chip (the distribution that is set when you "reset")

/chip status -- shows bag status (not sure yet what that means -- but as of this writing, it's "Ready")

/chip add white -- adds one white chip to the bag

/chip remove white -- removes one white chip from the bag

(It does not appear that I can use in format of "/chip add 3 white" or "/chip add white 3" -- if I type "/chip add 3 white," it gives me an error of "invalid chip colour '3'" and if I type "/chip add white 3" it simply adds one white chip and ignores the "3" at the end.)
    Last edited by Jordan Peacock; August 22nd, 2020 at 13:36.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Pea**** View Post
    Thanks! I was so busy looking for buttons or drop-down options that I didn't think to check for slash-commands in the chat window.

When I used /chip reset, it changed to 35 in the pot (10 red, 5 blue, 30 white), so I can only assume that however I got to a claim of 25 in the OP, I was wrong. I used "/chip count" to find the current chip tallies, then used "/chip add white" "/chip add red" "/chip add blue" in the desired quantities (CTRL-C to copy, CTRL-V to paste several times, to save myself a bit of typing) and then used "/chip count" again to check to make sure I got to the intended new totals.

It would be nice if I could save the new "pot" for use in a future campaign, but this isn't something I plan on tweaking more than once a campaign (save perhaps for tweaking the number of Legend chips in there, if I accidentally add too many), so I can get by with this workaround.

Thanks so much for the help! It looks like I'm set now.

In chat window:
    /chip -- shows "Usage: /chip [count|total|starting|status|reset|add|remove] <colour>"

/chip total -- shows total chips in bag (no color breakdown)

/chip count -- shows breakdown of how many chips of each type are in the bag (legendary, blue, red, white)

/chip reset -- resets pot contents to 0 legendary, 5 blue, 10 red, 25 white (35 total)

/chip starting -- reports the "starting total" of each kind of chip (the distribution that is set when you "reset")

/chip status -- shows bag status (not sure yet what that means -- but as of this writing, it's "Ready")

/chip add white -- adds one white chip to the bag

/chip remove white -- removes one white chip from the bag

(It does not appear that I can use in format of "/chip add 3 white" or "/chip add white 3" -- if I type "/chip add 3 white," it gives me an error of "invalid chip colour '3'" and if I type "/chip add white 3" it simply adds one white chip and ignores the "3" at the end.)
    What you can do is hitti g the 'up arrow' key. it will rewrite your last command in the chat, then you hit enter and so on... Quicker than typing the whole command once again. You can do that as many time as you wish
    Ultimate license holder
    Pref : Cthulhu and savage Worlds

Thread Information