Starfinder Playlist
    Blog Entries

Tension Dice extension

This Tension Dice extension is based on the Angry DMs post here:
    https://theangrygm.com/tension-on-the-road/

The main mechanical aspects of this are:

Here’s the five actions you can take with the Tension Pool:

• Add a Die: Pick up a d6 and visibly drop it in the pool. If you just added the sixth die to the pool, immediately Clear the Pool.
    • Roll the Pool: Pick up all the dice currently in the pool and roll them. Take note if any of the dice show a 1. Then, put the dice back in the pool. If the pool is currently empty, roll one d6 by itself, note if it shows a 1, and then put that d6 aside. Don’t add it to the pool.
    • Add a Die and Roll the Pool: Pick up a d6 and visibly drop it in the pool. If that’s the sixth die, immediately Clear the Pool. Otherwise, after adding the d6, pick up all the dice currently in the pool and roll them. Take note if any dice show a 1. Then, put the dice back in the pool.
    • Roll a Full Pool: Ignore what’s in the pool. Pick up 6d6 and roll them. Take note if any of the dice show a 1. Don’t change the pool in any way.
    • Clear the Pool: If there are six dice in the pool, pick them all up and roll them. Take note if any of the dice show a 1. Regardless of the result, don’t return the dice to the pool. The pool is now empty.

Add a dice when time passes. Add a dice and roll when time passes and the players do something reckless.

For every 1 that is rolled introduce a complication.
    To use this - activate the extension.
    The Dice Pool shows at the top of the GMs Chat Window.
    Double Clicking adds a Dice.
    Ctrl + Double Click adds a Dice AND Rolls.
    When the 6th Dice is added the Pool Rolls AND Resets.

fg-tension-dice.jpg
    Attached Files Attached Files

This is really cool! But do the players see it? Part of the reason the system exists is so the players see it to add tension.
    Fantasy Grounds Unity Lives! Good job, Smiteworks!

Quote Originally Posted by Three of Swords View Post
    This is really cool! But do the players see it? Part of the reason the system exists is so the players see it to add tension.
    Yes, and no.
    Yes, the players see each time dice are added and each time dice are rolled, with TENSION BUILDS message in the chat box, as shown above.
    No, they don't see "pending" pool count, only the DM sees that.

Pretty slick game concept. Pretty smooth extension implementing that concept. I recommend.

I think it'd be cool to try out.

Quote Originally Posted by damned View Post
    I think I can probably rework this one and make it player visible too now if there is still much interest in it.
    Definitely! Will you be updating the OP or releasing on the forge?

I would be interested as well
    No pressure though

Quote Originally Posted by damned View Post
    Hi Guys, its on my list. It will probably go in Forge but I will update this thread when I have done it.
    w00t

Thread Information