STAR TREK 2d20
Page 2 of 9 First 1234 ... Last
    Wow that was fast, must have caught you at a good time!

I hope i didn't come on too strong on 5.), as i am overall really impressed with the implementation, and if it is at the request of the developer then it is what it is, and i can accept that, as i do want to use the system. I think there's been enough said on that topic so i will leave it at that.

sure, i will do my best to communicate the steps i took in attempting to create a toggle effect for the berserker frenzy ability;

firstly, i may be going about this wrong, and i totally accept that i could be missing steps or features that are available.

*edit because i see you already addressed 1.)*

(2.) ok great!

(3.) Concentration Checks: i was testing with the bend will ability

3a.) target another character in the CT
    3b.) click "+" on bend will in the character sheet
    3c.) click "seize control" action, which rolls 1d20 for the check and 1d4 for corruption
    3d.) on a success, i click the "seize control" effect on the character sheet, which applies the "seize control" effect to the targeted character in the CT
    3e.) with a 3rd character in the CT, i target the caster who used "bend will", rolling to hit until i land a hit, then rolling damage (drag and drop from character sheet to CT)
    3f.) the attack, damage and armor all roll normally, but there is no concentration check, and no concentration effect visible in the CT on the caster

concentration is meant to proc when the caster takes damage - in my test, the caster took damage enough to overcome the PT and become prone, but no concentration check was made.

3g.) i then repeated the process with the same results, using the "confusion" ability.

yah i totally understand, you cant make too many changes at once.

(4.) right, yah i can see when applying the above (bend will and confusion) that there exist the "seize control" and "confused" effects; as GM it would be useful to have them at the ready to apply at will, rather than digging through ability menus. Thanks!

i totally understand that it all takes time and effort and as a singular dev that's a pretty tall order, again i didn't mean to come off too abrasive with the (5.) and i understand if that is out of your hands.

i hope this report helps; and i will continue to post if/when i come across more issues.

thanks for your time Simon, i appreciate the prompt reply (bed time for me though now!)

cheers
    Last edited by Amnipotent1; September 17th, 2020 at 08:25.

Yes I had 10 minutes while waiting for things with work so it matched perfectly

Plus this time I actually got a mail about it, which hadn't happened for the previous replies since I latest wrote on this thread. It's a bit weird like that.

Thank you for the steps to reproduce! That really helps!

I don't think you came off strong on 5. I understand the frustration in regards to it which is what I will try to communicate. The one issue I see with it is that once it's in there, people will want to take more and more abilities into consideration into that roll which will eventually make it really really complex. I do however think that even at its basic form it will help the flow of the ruleset.

I have learned a lot from making the Symabaroum ruleset and the most recent one I have been working on (not alone either) has turned out a lot less flawed. I think that if I poke Valyar to help me fix up Symbaroum that we can probably get it more polished. If I ask him nicely and maybe send him a few beers we can iron out some of the issues that we have with it.

Sleep well!

Thanks,
    Simon

Quote Originally Posted by Amnipotent1 View Post
    Hello.
    5.) I realize this has been asked before, however... Why on earth is there no capability to drag and drop the "to hit" modifier from an NPC sheet onto a Player Character in the CT? I fully 100% understand the concept of only players rolling dice, but this is a serious downgrade in quality of life over other FG products. As the GM, i need to be able to initiate an attack from an NPC to a PC and have that calculated automatically; this does not cause me as the GM to actually make a roll. It should be possible for me to drag an attack modifier from the NPC sheet or "offense" section of the NPC entry in the CT to force a defense roll from a PC.
    I am curious as to why asking the PC to make a defense roll is different from this? Or are you asking for the hit modifier to be included in the calculation? Hmm, I just realised I haven't tried dragging the hit modifier to the actual die roll modifier box before asking a PC to roll defense.

Quote Originally Posted by Simpe View Post
    Yes I had 10 minutes while waiting for things with work so it matched perfectly

Plus this time I actually got a mail about it, which hadn't happened for the previous replies since I latest wrote on this thread. It's a bit weird like that.

Thank you for the steps to reproduce! That really helps!

I don't think you came off strong on 5. I understand the frustration in regards to it which is what I will try to communicate. The one issue I see with it is that once it's in there, people will want to take more and more abilities into consideration into that roll which will eventually make it really really complex. I do however think that even at its basic form it will help the flow of the ruleset.

I have learned a lot from making the Symabaroum ruleset and the most recent one I have been working on (not alone either) has turned out a lot less flawed. I think that if I poke Valyar to help me fix up Symbaroum that we can probably get it more polished. If I ask him nicely and maybe send him a few beers we can iron out some of the issues that we have with it.

Sleep well!

Thanks,
    Simon
    ok, haha, i read what i wrote and hoped it wasn't taken to be rude

i totally understand that concern and I'm sure its a pain to code that kind of complexity with overlapping features - I'm sure i will either get used to it or figure out a work-around of some kind, and if its the creators wish not to have that included then i can accept that it is out of your hands!

I would agree that even having just basic ATK vs DEF roll functionality would go a long way to streamlining combat and making things a bit faster (i think we all know some players are a bit slow, so being able to force the roll from GM side would be great)

i certainly appreciate your prompt replies and willingness to work on the system, as it is definitely a lot of work, so great job on that! Also, i am happy to continue posting bug reports when i come across them through our sessions if it helps; really like the system so id love to see it come closer to the level of automation that the major systems have.

i do have a couple additional questions that i am not sure are bugs, or if I'm just not doing it right:
    1.)is there a way to add the PC's attacks and abilities to the "offense" panel in the CT? NPC's have it added automatically, and having that reference in the CT would help to keep the UI clean and not need to have PC character sheets open to reference abilities and attacks. (i already have a ton of panels open and players often have questions about their items and abilities, so being able to glance at the CT and click the link or allow players to drag and drop their attacks and abilities from the CT would be great, but obviously just a quality of life thing, no biggie)

When i drag weapons and armor over to the CT, it just adds a line with the name of the item, but no "to hit" "armor" "defense" or "damage" boxes appear

When i drag an entry from "abilities & powers" on the PC character sheet into the "offense" panel on the CT, nothing happens; but those entries are also added automatically when an NPC is added to the CT. Is this because i, as GM am only meant to control the NPC's, or am i missing something?

2.) PC "size" and "reach" are defaulted to 5/5 when a new PC is added to the CT and cause the PC tokens to appear huge on the map, until i change the size value manually. Changing these values manually doesnt seem to save the value for future use if the PC is removed from the CT for whatever reason, but all the NPC's (that i have checked so far) come in at 2/2 and have tokens added to the map at the correct size (1 square)

If i change the value manually and leave the PC's in the CT, the values do remain between sessions, so not a huge deal, just wondering. There really isn't any reason to remove the PC's from the CT, but seems odd that they are added at a default of 5/5 instead of 2/2 like the NPC's

3.) creating a custom "ability" doesn't allow adding text for novice, adept or master, and also doesn't add the 3 diamonds to the character sheet, but creating a custom "trait" does; not sure if that is intentional, but i noticed while attempting to manually add some content from the APG, (so my players can use burdens and boons - which i don't expect to be automated in any way) and figured i would mention it. Mostly just a convenience of organization that seems odd considering the base abilities do include that functionality.

Thanks again, Looking forward to your next patch!

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyOldAndy View Post
    I am curious as to why asking the PC to make a defense roll is different from this? Or are you asking for the hit modifier to be included in the calculation? Hmm, I just realised I haven't tried dragging the hit modifier to the actual die roll modifier box before asking a PC to roll defense.
    yes, i was asking why there is no method of automating the calculations, since all other calculations are automated; because many enemies have multiple weapons and/or attacks, it makes most sense for me to be able to drop the modifier from the "to hit" section from the NPC block onto the PC entry in the CT, thus forcing a defense roll and automatically applying the NPC's attack modifier.

Simpe's concerns about overlapping complexity with many features on a single roll are valid though, so i understand; just seems like a pretty basic function that is missing and that would streamline combat quite a bit. (but i am not a programmer, so a "basic function" to me may be vastly oversimplifying things)

Quick update - all raised so far has been registered on the issue tracking board. Simon already addressed some of them and will continue over the weekend.
    The past is a rudder to guide us, not an anchor to hold us back.

Inventory page error

Every time I open the Inventory page on the character sheet, it throws an error for every item in the list.
    Also, the armour and weapons from the front page are not linked to the inventory page, so you can delete someone's armour from their inventory, but they still have it on the front page, and if you add it on the inventory, it doesn't appear on the front.
    All in the latest version of FGUnity.

Note: All items in the core rulebook have no weight defined, exactly as in the physical book. Is there a way to change that without me having to duplicate every entry in the table?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thank you for reporting this. It seems there is problem not only with Unity version and I will log this as an issue for be taken care of.

At the moment there is no link between item in the inventory tab and the interactive Equipment frame on the main page. You can drag & drop item directly on the front page. I know that this causes some overhead but it also makes sense from certain perspective - you keep the non-weapon and armor stuffs in the inventory. Still, options will be explored.

On the weight - if there is no weight per item in the official book, then it is not transferred to the ruleset. You will have to clone the items and make module or directly unlock the equipment in question and put weight.
    The past is a rudder to guide us, not an anchor to hold us back.

Two-handed force doesn't seem to affect heavy weapon damage currently:

Screenshot 2020-09-24 085910.png

Should be 1d12 (and there is no way to adjust it manually even, as a fallback)
    Former SW ruleset / Deadlands extension author. Now I just wanna play a few games. And maybe hack. A little.

Quote Originally Posted by phantomwhale View Post
    Two-handed force doesn't seem to affect heavy weapon damage currently:

Screenshot 2020-09-24 085910.png

Should be 1d12 (and there is no way to adjust it manually even, as a fallback)
    Its working fine on my version. Two Handed Sword doesn't exist in the core rulebook. The version you created doesn't have the two handed property, so two handed force wouldn't apply.

Ah - I had it selected as "main hand" not "two-handed" - works now!

Ok, next bug / me doing something wrong - Robust (at adept level, in this case) should only add 1d6 damage to melee attacks. It appears to be adding it to missile weapons as well.

Screenshot 2020-09-24 202701.png

I also note the library entry for Robust doesn't include the full rule description either, it stops after the defense modifier, but omits the extra text at each level about armor restrictions, extra natural armor and the damage bonus rule here.

I was finally wondering if Robust should be always applied to damage, given it only applies to one attack per turn - so for instance, my twin attack ogre here will end up doing an extra 1d6 on both attacks if he hits twice

Screenshot 2020-09-24 203206.png

This one is obviously less "bug", more "usability" focused. But without any mechanism to adjust the dice in a weapon list, I wonder if robust should instead present a 1d6 damage modifier you can click on before rolling damage? Or if it seems better to always add it, is there a way to manually remove it easily?
    Former SW ruleset / Deadlands extension author. Now I just wanna play a few games. And maybe hack. A little.

Thread Information