DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 2 of 9 First 1234 ... Last
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelrugem View Post
    oh, it seems that is indeed stops updating; as far as I have seen, the most recent version is the 23. of April, I am stuck on the 22. of April. Thence, probably not just a visual bug (speaking about the version of the launcher, not the updater)
    Are you for sure on the Live channel? I didn't think I even had a build from 4-22 on the Live channel at any point though I could be wrong.

Also, I found a bug with the popup you all are seeing, and I'm working on sending out a fix on the patch system soon, with a new installer coming later.

Keep your eyes out for the update and hopefully this should fix the problem. I'm adding a dismiss button as well, just in case.

Quote Originally Posted by redeyesofnight View Post
    Are you for sure on the Live channel? I didn't think I even had a build from 4-22 on the Live channel at any point though I could be wrong.

Also, I found a bug with the popup you all are seeing, and I'm working on sending out a fix on the patch system soon, with a new installer coming later.

Keep your eyes out for the update and hopefully this should fix the problem. I'm adding a dismiss button as well, just in case.
    Thank you

Yes, I am sure about that I am on the Live server; but I can't check at the moment due to the stuck popup there

Quote Originally Posted by Kelrugem View Post
    Thank you

Yes, I am sure about that I am on the Live server; but I can't check at the moment due to the stuck popup there
    I just pushed those changes, so hopefully with this next update that popup should go away for you.

Is the "permissions fix" to add full control for "Everyone" to both the data folder and the program folder (which is by default in a system location)? That seems... not great.

Separate from the wisdom of hardcoding full control for the "Everyone" group... I experienced something strange when updating:

1. I ran the updater, which did an updater update.
    2. The new updater restarted (2020-04-23) and complained that I didn't have permissions to update. That struck me as strange, since I had been updating fine previously.
    3. I closed the new updater without proceeding so I could manually investigate my starting permissions.
    4. After noting the permissions, I tried to restart the updater. Nothing happened. Whether started via the start menu, or by opening a command-prompt and running FantasyGroundsUpdater.exe from the install dir. No window ever opened.
    5. As an experiment, I tried running the updater with admin privilege. My user-account is always an admin-level account, but I right-clicked the icon and "ran it as administrator" to escalate privileges. It now started.
    6. I allowed the privilege escalated updater to muck with permissions, and it finished updating.
    7. I can now run the updater without privilege escalation again.
    8. I now see "everyone" full permissions on both the program dir and the data dir.

I'm still not sure why I was unable to run the updater without privilege escalation at first. I'm now inferring that the updater is NOT checking whether it has write permissions to the two directories (it did to both when it started), it's checking for the hard-coded EVERYONE permission and claiming (falsely in my case) that it lacks write permissions unless it finds that specific permission set... without regard to whether it actually has the permissions it needs.

On Mac version the primary user account on my computer (where I first installed FGU) works fine. On a secondary Admin account I cannot run the updater. It flashes a window and disappears.

macOS Catalina 10.15.4
    FGU Updated on April 25 to 04-23-2020 version using primary computer account

OP says no changes to macOS version permission structure. I think there needs to be. Just sayin'.

Quote Originally Posted by pollux View Post
    Is the "permissions fix" to add full control for "Everyone" to both the data folder and the program folder (which is by default in a system location)? That seems... not great.
    A big no-no! Fortunately this does not happen here, instead the permission fix window never goes away, regardless of whether I start the updater as administrator (windows popup) or not (updater does not start at all).

Albeit still not perfect, a better approach would then be to install FG into the "Program Data" folder instead of "Program Files". In any case, other software is able to handle these things without messing with system folder permissions, so I expect the same from FG.

I updated to it with no issues, however I was already running in a non-program files directory, and I had already copied the admin account HKCU Fantasy Grounds settings to the non-admin account HKCU, since I've been on this rodeo before. But I very much support setting things up to run for non-admin, there's zero cause for FG to require admin privileges.

Quote Originally Posted by redeyesofnight View Post
    I just pushed those changes, so hopefully with this next update that popup should go away for you.
    It still does not work for me, the popup is still there and my version is still the 22. of April; shall I maybe simply reinstall? (the updater is at the 23. of April) I have the feeling that I can't get any update anymore, so a new install might help
    Last edited by Kelrugem; April 25th, 2020 at 15:14.

Same thing here. Just tested.

I was sure that I posted this already, so here we go again:

Updater should (only) use administrator rights to install software (Program Files) and then use user rights for all content (either user directory or ProgramData). This is has been the standard for many years with Windows and other software usually handles these things accordingly and successfully.

Thread Information