FG Spreadshirt Swag

FGC - Stat Blocks all read 10s when pulling local characters into campaign

Count me as a new user turning to VTT for the first time due to quarantine, so please let me know what information would be helpful in resolving problem.

We're using Classic. Most of the players are demo users, but there is one licensed user. I am currently a paid Ultimate subscription user while I test the waters. We're using 5e ruleset and a purchased adventure. We all had our characters in DnDBeyond, except our licensed user who built his character in FCG. The characters from DnDBeyond were exported to XML and imported into FCG. From our users view, everything looked correct and the XML file looked to contain the correct information. However, when they added their local character into the campaign, all the stat blocks changed to 10. This was for the licensed user as well. As a work around, I exported their DnDBeyond character to XML and did the import. Or they sent me the XML file they were using. When I imported their character, all the stat blocks came across ok.

Did we miss a basic step when pulling local characters into the campaign? I don't mind using our work around going forward, but would like to learn proper procedure.

Thank you in advance for taking the time and effort.

It sounds like perhaps the XML generates by whatever tool you are using to export from D&D Beyond may not have created the correct XML data. If no value is specified for an ability in the correct format in the XML, the default is 10. Have the person who made the tool look at the generated XML...

Regards,
    JPG

Thanks for the quick response JPG. Looking into XML file with an editor, the stat blocks are correct. And when the players import them into FGC, their local character sheet appears correct. It's when they add their local character into the campaign. Then my view has straight 10s. This was true for our one player who built his character natively in FCG. Shouldn't be an XML issue because of two reasons. First, for the folks who exported/import from DnD Beyond, I did the process (which I documented for them to follow) on my end for their characters came through fine. Secondly, for the native FCG user, he exported the XML direct from FCG and mailed me the file to import, which went in ok. Again, it seems like a sync issue between local copy of the character and campaign copy of character.

Thank you again.

Can you send me a copy of one of the character XML files that had the problem to [email protected]?

Thanks,
    JPG

JPG, hopefully you received the file. Sent to [email protected] as well as [email protected] . Got the following message back when sending to support-files...

We're writing to let you know that the group you tried to contact (support-files) may not exist, or you may not have permission to post messages to the group. A few more details on why you weren't able to post:

Thanks. We were trying to set up new alias for just sending in files I needed from users; but it looks like we have some more configuration to do.

I was able to find it in the support list, so I have it now.

Thanks,
    JPG

My table at Fantasy Grounds College two weeks ago noticed a temporary work around for this issue. It seems like it mainly occurs when players bring their own character sheet .xml's to the table. If they send the DM their character sheets beforehand, (like as an attachment over Discord), and then the DM loads the .xmls into the tabletop, the bug seems to be gone. The one player who sent his sheet to the DM for approval first had no problems, but the rest of us were retyping stats before play started.

Thread Information