DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 1 of 7 123 ... Last
    Blog Entries

Runequest Classic (RQ II) CoreRPG

So.. with everything that's happened with FG since the BRP Ruleset came out.. and everything that's happened at Chaosium with regards to BRP and Runequest..
    I reopened my RQ CoreRPG project and puttered with it while those COVID thing had me hiding out at home.

I pulled together a few things and it is coming along nicely.

Here are some screenshots of the current version.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Full License Operator - You must have a 'Lite' License to play in my games.
    Member and GM in the Fantasy Grounds Pathfinder Society Group.
    PFS Fantasy Grounds Forum
    FG Community Teamspeak Server: ts.fg-con.com
    Interested in Custom Character Portraits and Tokens? Contact me.

Blog Entries
    I have experience pretty much working at this point.. there are a couple of little tweaks that I need to track down but generally speaking... it works as follows...
    When you successfully use a skill (weapon attack, weapon parry, general skills, or defense) you get a tick in the box next to that skill..
    After the adventure is completed, the GM can push a 'Downtime' (I might change the name of that if I can find a more appropriate identifier) rest..
    Then and only then can the PCs click the roll buttons next to their skill ticks to see if they successfully learn from XP.
    This clears the tick and the process begins again on the new adventure.
    I have not yet set up Characteristic XP.. but I expect it to function similarly.

Other things that are yet to do:
    - Damage needs to be applied to hit locations.
    - While I'm doing Damage Bonus calculations already.. I haven't linked them up with actual weapon damage yet... both for PCs and NPCs.
    - There is some stuff with Strike Ranks that I still need to resolve.. I'm not completely clear on how I'm going to make that all work..
    Generally, I expect the GM will do what he does in a normal game...
    -- ask the PCs for their statement of intent each round ..
    -- then set the strike ranks accordingly ..
    -- then begin the round.
    I'm going to put the Base Strike Rank info in the Attack Frame for each actor on the Combat Tracker... so the GM should have at least some idea what these numbers should be at a glance.
    The stat blocks for monsters are a bit inconsistent between various sources so parsing scenarios is going to be a little tricky for NPC setups. Each attack generally has a Strike Rank listed.. but they are not always listed in the same place in the attack line.. I'm considering pulling the SR out of the text and listing it as a separate item.. it should make the parsing easier for the attack line code.. but more of a pain for GM setup.. but since that looks like it might need to be done manually anyway... it might not be that big a deal.
    - I'm going to set up resting in 2 hour increments to allow for POW recovery during play an adventure. I think this means there will be maybe 3 or 4 different sorts of 'rest'.. what those end up being exactly isn't completely clear..
    -- Downtime (1 week) (100% POW, +1HP recovered, Training/Exp Allowed)
    -- Full Day's Rest (recovers 100% of POW)
    -- 2 Hour Rest (recovers 1/12th of POW) Maybe should be 4 hours?
    -- 'Short Rest' (to clear Battle Magic effects - 1-5 minutes??)
    Last edited by Blackfoot; April 19th, 2020 at 20:09.

Blog Entries
    OK... so Spell Resistance Rolls and Power XP are working now.
    There are 2 big things on the plate.
    -- Parrying.
    -- Applying Damage to Hit Locations.
    OK... so I set up parry as a second line under the weapon, and you can have multiple parries per round so I've started to take that into account.
    The question is.. how exactly are they going to work?
    Ideally it should go something like this...
    -- The attacker rolls to hit.
    -- The defender rolls to parry.
    -- The attacker rolls damage.
    -- The AP from the parrying weapon/shield reduce the damage. (The AI should be smart enough to know that that particular attack was parried)
    -- Damage is applied to the parrying weapon if appropriate.
    There is also the added complexity of crit/special/fumble logic on both sides.
    Shields and Weapons have number the tracker should recognize for the purposes of blocking this damage..
    I think I probably just need a 'turned on' flag to note that that amount of AP is being applied to the damage.

So after all that parrying happens.. if any of it remains then the damage actually reaches armor and hit locations.
    Currently I have the hit location roll automatically firing on a hit. The tricky bit seems to be that you can adjust this number based on how many strike ranks you delay in the combat round.
    I currently don't really have a good idea as to how to handle this.

Blog Entries
    Putting Covid19 to good use!

Blog Entries
    Runequest 2e was my first RPG after D&D/AD&D and we played for years. I would probably start running it again if there were a working ruleset and this looks close.
    Ultimate License. Running Hyperborea and CoC. Asks lots of questions. Mgpotter.com. PureVPN is a tested solution to run games when traveling. https://billing.purevpn.com/aff.php?aff=33044

Blackfoot,
    First of all thank you for working on this, I'm trying to start a RQG campaign currently I'm setting it up in Morecore, Using/editing the Mythros Character sheet someone else made. I have some ideas, just firing off the hip, what if you just let the players and GM manage SR, in Morecore players can enter their init(SR) themselves and it auto adjust them on the CT, that way the GM has less micro management. Also I know what you were saying about the hit location sometimes being chosen, its the Aimed Blow option, i.e. you wait till the 12th strike rank, trade speed for accuracy basically. As for how automated you decide to go with this, my advice FWIW, is to error on the side of flexibility, RQ GM's are all over the place with rule variants. I have many ideas on how to make this rule system great. I'm also really good at making NPC data entry, stat blocks and tables, although I am ignorant of scripting on FG, that is my way of saying please hit me up if you want to talk on Discord and discuss options. I have time to invest to the community.

Again TYVM for working on this.

Looking good Blackfoot.

Are you planning on sharing this with the community at some point?
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Blog Entries
    Once it is in a more playable state... I think so.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Elihu View Post
    Blackfoot,
    First of all thank you for working on this, I'm trying to start a RQG campaign currently I'm setting it up in Morecore, Using/editing the Mythros Character sheet someone else made. I have some ideas, just firing off the hip, what if you just let the players and GM manage SR, in Morecore players can enter their init(SR) themselves and it auto adjust them on the CT, that way the GM has less micro management. Also I know what you were saying about the hit location sometimes being chosen, its the Aimed Blow option, i.e. you wait till the 12th strike rank, trade speed for accuracy basically. As for how automated you decide to go with this, my advice FWIW, is to error on the side of flexibility, RQ GM's are all over the place with rule variants. I have many ideas on how to make this rule system great. I'm also really good at making NPC data entry, stat blocks and tables, although I am ignorant of scripting on FG, that is my way of saying please hit me up if you want to talk on Discord and discuss options. I have time to invest to the community.

Again TYVM for working on this.
    My goal, generally, is to add enough automation so that games run quickly and easily. Especially for the more complex 'numbers' part of the game.
    In RQ the initial part of the combat round is 'Statement of Intent' so the PC (and GM) decides each round how they are going to act. I don't really see any other way around it other than to have the GM manually set Strike Ranks for all participants, I can pick up some basics from previous rounds... and I can set 'default' SRs for NPCs based on range, spell, or melee.. but all that will flow and change during the Statement of Intent as PCs and NPCs react to the situation and change their actions.

I would like to have it automatically do calculations for ranged attacks.. so it pops up the 2nd and possibly 3rd ranged attack for archers automatically.. if that's what mode they are in.. but spells can tweak that so.. I'll have to figure what to do there.
    Last edited by Blackfoot; January 8th, 2021 at 12:22.

Thread Information