5E Character Create Playlist
Page 9 of 26 First ... 789101119 ... Last

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JPS503 View Post
    Anyhow, FGU is not working as promised... Also when I download the mac version for FGU, I'm being forced to download ver. 4.00 on FGU for the Macbook. My question, is that the most recent version?? You asked me to download the most recent version, I did and it still spikes my battery usage and my fan kicks into high gear as if there is malware, BTC mining software or even a bloated ad one would come across on the reddit forums that causes the fan and cpu to run way too hot... I know there's a version out there that is later but it might be for windows, not sure...

Please confirm the most recent version for FGU on a macbook is 4.00. Is it 4.00? If it's NOT then the fantasy ground website is not up to date and is directing to download an older version of FGU...

Finally, I can't download the older version of FGC as supposedly the older FGC works without spiking the CPU... I updated my macbook for security reasons etc as most rational individuals do.. I will not downgrade the mac OS to where there are bugs and exploits so I can add FGC and Im not going to dual boot etc...
    Version 4.0.0 is the latest version of FGU. BUT both the application and the updater will have date codes associated with them. This will tell you if you have the most recent version. Currently FGU application latest date code is 2020-09-24 and the Updater most current is date code is 2020-09-17.

FGC does not have older versions. You can only load the most current version of FGC, which is 3.3.11. But that version is not compatible with Mac o/s/ Catalina because it uses WINE which is a 32 bit application and Catalina does not run 32 bit apps.

If you mean the previous version of FGU, then you can access it via the "Prev" channel under advanced settings.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Hi Moon Wizard,
    did you ever try connecting your PC to a 4K monitor? I'm asking because, as I wrote in a previous post, I have the GPU running at 100% whenever I use it full screen on high resolution monitors (either my desktop with a 4k monitor or my laptop, a Lenovo Yoga 3 Pro on 3200x1800). I'm just curious to know, for peolple like you who are not experiencing the problem, what is the GPU usage when connecting to a 4k monitor. Thanks.

"We're all wondering, though, how will apps run on day 1, when this first Apple Silicon Mac releases this year. ARM Macs running on Apple Silicon in 2020 seemed unlikely before this past week, as developers will want time to translate their apps from the Intel/x86 structure to the Apple Silicon/ARM code. Fortunately, Apple's also got a weapon in their back pocket that allows them to release Macs before everyone's caught up."

I'm wondering if FGU is currently looking to be ported over to the new macbook "silicon" ARM arch. Is this in progress? Maybe working with the ARM would be better for macs moving forward considering the heat/fan issues that have plagued FGU.

On a positive note I installed FGU on a 2019 Acer Predator 1660ti 16GB ram with Nvidia drivers up to date... and it run flawlessly. No fan issues at all.

Quote Originally Posted by JPS503 View Post
    "We're all wondering, though, how will apps run on day 1, when this first Apple Silicon Mac releases this year. ARM Macs running on Apple Silicon in 2020 seemed unlikely before this past week, as developers will want time to translate their apps from the Intel/x86 structure to the Apple Silicon/ARM code. Fortunately, Apple's also got a weapon in their back pocket that allows them to release Macs before everyone's caught up."

I'm wondering if FGU is currently looking to be ported over to the new macbook "silicon" ARM arch. Is this in progress? Maybe working with the ARM would be better for macs moving forward considering the heat/fan issues that have plagued FGU.

On a positive note I installed FGU on a 2019 Acer Predator 1660ti 16GB ram with Nvidia drivers up to date... and it run flawlessly. No fan issues at all.
    The CPU utilization issue was something Moon Wizard commented about a week or so ago, it was a .net library issue, not sure if next release meant the one for the 24th, or if that one is still in progress.

I am not a dev, but for the ARM CPU at a minimum they would need to procure an actual development kit from Apple so they could start the process. Baring that, they would need to wait until there are Apple Silicon Macs available for purchase. Depending on resources available and/or funding, this might not happen right away.

I would guess they are fully aware of the shift that Apple is making. I also believe they have some time. It took Apple 3-4 years to switch from PowerPC to x86 chips back in the '00s. Apple announced the switch to x86 in 2005, and the first macOS version to require an Intel (x86) CPU was macOS 10.6 released in 2009. So the devs have some time to work out the logistics of how they want to make the switch. Apple says they will take 2 years, but I suspect that might end up being drawn out a bit.

I actually wonder about the future of Apple Silicon. Apple and Nvidia have some bad blood between them, with Nvidia purchasing Softbank (the makers of ARM), I wonder what Apple will have to say about that.

Blog Entries
    The shift to ARM is one of the reasons FGU uses Unity. FG/SmiteWorks won't be the one making the investment in ARM changes, instead Unity will be the ones doing that and FG will just be updating the Unity engine version as appropriate.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Excellent to hear!! I can't wait to put FGU on the new silicon macbook pro as it's not happening on my 2014 macbook pro with the high cpu usage issue currently..
    Last edited by The Demiurge; September 28th, 2020 at 05:16.

My assumption is the Unity configuration that is chosen by default for the FGU environment includes features that push the GPU on a mobile (MX) graphics card to the point where it goes into 'high use' mode. FGU may need to have some 'Graphics Quality' settings that allow users to reduce the graphics usage, particularly on lower specced graphics machines.

Quote Originally Posted by Sulimo View Post
    The CPU utilization issue was something Moon Wizard commented about a week or so ago, it was a .net library issue, not sure if next release meant the one for the 24th, or if that one is still in progress.

I am not a dev, but for the ARM CPU at a minimum they would need to procure an actual development kit from Apple so they could start the process. Baring that, they would need to wait until there are Apple Silicon Macs available for purchase. Depending on resources available and/or funding, this might not happen right away.

I would guess they are fully aware of the shift that Apple is making. I also believe they have some time. It took Apple 3-4 years to switch from PowerPC to x86 chips back in the '00s. Apple announced the switch to x86 in 2005, and the first macOS version to require an Intel (x86) CPU was macOS 10.6 released in 2009. So the devs have some time to work out the logistics of how they want to make the switch. Apple says they will take 2 years, but I suspect that might end up being drawn out a bit.

I actually wonder about the future of Apple Silicon. Apple and Nvidia have some bad blood between them, with Nvidia purchasing Softbank (the makers of ARM), I wonder what Apple will have to say about that.
    I'm not running on Mac. I'm afraid this will not fix my 100% GPU problem....

I moved over to a PC for the time being. Make sure you have all drivers updated... Maybe you have a driver issue and need to roll back one update.

I use Nvida drivers but I haven't updated to the most recent patch seeing what people are posting. Ill update in week actually and take a chance. I'd be surprised and dismayed. Maybe my 2014 mac with 16 GB cant' handle FGU...? Not sure but I have no problems what so ever my 2019 Gaming PC with FGU except now the license states, ERROR. I emailed support about the issue but haven't heard back from them yet...

Thread Information