DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 5 of 26 First ... 3456715 ... Last
    Hi,

in my case, the data I get from Xbox Game Bar are not in agreement with those from Task Manager. Both provide the same values for CPU usage but for GPU Xbox Game Bar tells 0% while on Task Manager I read 100%. And I can tell you that Task Manager is the one correct (from the fan noise and the heat coming from the PC....).
    There has to be something wrong with FGU, for sure, a bug. I can't believe it is something due to a poor project development from the ground up resulting in such a bad use of resources.
    After all, it's a Pre-release.... let's wait. I'm patient.

Hi,

my readings on the GPU load in percentage are also from the Task Manager and by how hot the computer runs I can tell that those readings are real.

Within the Xbox Game Bar I also do get strange readings for the GPU. Though, those are measured in GB. So it think this is not the GPU load.

What I took from Xbox Game Bar are the FPS readings. Though, it's tricky to get Xbox Game Bar working for FPS readings:

Not seeing the FPS info after completing FPS setup
    When you set up the FPS counter in Xbox Game Bar, your user account will be added to the Performance Log Users group (if your account is the administrator for the device or the administrator has added your account to the group). If you’re not seeing the FPS counter after restarting your PC (Request access button still appears in the FPS tab), verify that your account was added to the Performance Log Users group by typing Computer Management in the desktop search box, selecting Local Users and Groups > Groups > Performance Log Users. If you’re not seeing your account in the Members box, request access again from the FPS tab in the Game Bar Performance overlay, then restart your PC.
    If you’re still not seeing FPS info after retrying access, manually add your administrator account to the group by typing Computer Management in the desktop search box, selecting Local Users and Groups > Groups > Performance Log Users, pressing Add, then following the prompts. Restart your PC for the changes to take effect.

Taken from:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...1-dd6f41181f96

I also do hope this performance issue can be fixed further down the road. At the moment, I cannot playtest FGU due to the performance issues.
    Last edited by Zarkamorta; May 16th, 2020 at 00:26.

Hi Zarkamorta,

in my case GPU usage is in % also in the Xbox Game Bar. Se the picture. Sorry for the quality, for some reason both print screen and the Xbox snapshot did did not work. I took a picture with my mobile.
    Anyway, I agree with you about having a hot PC. From the point of viw of speed I could stil test FGU (it is not exceedingly slowed down) but I do not beleive the PC hardware could stand t for long....
    I prefer not to take the risk....

XBox Bar.jpg

I’m surprised how long this thread has gone on for without any comments from the dev?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by qdwag View Post
    I’m surprised how long this thread has gone on for without any comments from the dev?
    The issue with over-taxed GPUs is not universal. We have so far only been able to collect anecdotal evidence from users. There are some similarities, but no silver bullets. It primarily seems to impact laptops with integrated video hardware, but that is not consistent. Ironically, it also seems to impact expensive portables (Surface Pro and MacBook Pro) more than others. But that could also be confirmation bias based on who reports based on expectations. I did discover this week that on a new MacBook Pro, I can get FGU to spin up the fans. It's our first, in-house reproducible case and will hopefully lead to some better diagnoses.

Thanks for replying Pindercarl. Much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by pindercarl View Post
    The issue with over-taxed GPUs is not universal. We have so far only been able to collect anecdotal evidence from users. There are some similarities, but no silver bullets. It primarily seems to impact laptops with integrated video hardware, but that is not consistent. Ironically, it also seems to impact expensive portables (Surface Pro and MacBook Pro) more than others. But that could also be confirmation bias based on who reports based on expectations. I did discover this week that on a new MacBook Pro, I can get FGU to spin up the fans. It's our first, in-house reproducible case and will hopefully lead to some better diagnoses.
    Thanks for replying Pindercarl. I‘m glad that the issue is under investigation with the devs.

Do you see the problem also under Win 10 on said MacBook Pro?

In any case, I am more than willing to help test things out on my Surface Pro 7!

Please let me know, if you need any additional information or if I should test something.

Hi Pindercarl,

thank you for posting. Actually I would not call the plot I posted on May 11th, 2020 at 03:57 "anecdotal" but I agree that the information is probably incomplete. For example I didn't even report the OS.... sorry (it's Windows 10). Let me know which type of data you need or if I can be of help by making some more tests.
    I also understand that probably I have a wrong perception of the problem since I experience it on two PCs (out of two). Specifically NUC7i5BNH (W10 Enterprise) and Lenovo Yoga 3 Pro 1370 (W10 Home), therefore, I expected it to be quite common but, of course, 2 is certainly what can be called good statistics ;-).
    I also understand that people with dedicated graphic cards and "gaming oriented machines" PCs do not experience any problem, they have more than enough enough "power". However, I would be curious to know if they notice an unusual GPU usage nonetheless. Since however the screen resolution (and FGU window dimension) is clearly influencing the usage, I would restrict the comparison on users using a 4K screen.
    I'm afraid that many people who, at the moment, do not perceive any problem, they will as soon as they move to a 4K monitor on the same PC. But, again, just my (probably biased perception).

Anyway, from my point of view, I'm eager to help with some tests if you think this can be useful. Who knows if it's a FGU problem or of some specific driver, or what else? Well, that's what tests are for.

That said, I'll wait until FGU will no longer be considered "Early Access" and then, depending on whether it will be "usable" or not decide if ask for a refund, switch to FGC (I don't think so I'm intersted in LOS), or buy a new PC with more graphic power (but, in my opinion, it should be overkilling for a software like FGU).
    Last edited by Atarsamak; May 16th, 2020 at 13:26.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Atarsamak View Post
    Hi Pindercarl,

thank you for posting. Actually I would not call the plot I posted on May 11th, 2020 at 03:57 "anecdotal" but I agree that the information is probably incomplete. For example I didn't even report the OS.... sorry (it's Windows 10). Let me know which type of data you need or if I can be of help by making some more tests.
    I also understand that probably I have a wrong perception of the problem since I experience it on two PCs (out of two). Specifically NUC7i5BNH (W10 Enterprise) and Lenovo Yoga 3 Pro 1370 (W10 Home), therefore, I expected it to be quite common but, of course, 2 is certainly what can be called good statistics ;-).
    I also understand that people with dedicated graphic cards and "gaming oriented machines" PCs do not experience any problem, they have more than enough enough "power". However, I would be curious to know if they notice an unusual GPU usage nonetheless. Since however the screen resolution (and FGU window dimension) is clearly influencing the usage, I would restrict the comparison on users using a 4K screen.
    I'm afraid that many people who, at the moment, do not perceive any problem, they will as soon as they move to a 4K monitor on the same PC. But, again, just my (probably biased perception).

Anyway, from my point of view, I'm eager to help with some tests if you think this can be useful. Who knows if it's a FGU problem or of some specific driver, or what else? Well, that's what tests are for.

That said, I'll wait until FGU will no longer be considered "Early Access" and then, depending on whether it will be "usable" or not decide if ask for a refund, switch to FGC (I don't think so I'm intersted in LOS), or buy a new PC with more graphic power (but, in my opinion, it should be overkilling for a software like FGU).
    Anecdotal regarding the number of data points (systems), not the quality of the data. To date, we have not found the commonality of systems exhibiting the issue. For example, I have an older Mac Mini that does not have the issue, yet the new MacBook Pro does. Additionally, the MacBook Pro does not suffer from an over-taxed GPU when running FGU in the IDE, but does when running the release build. None of the Windows boxes used by the development team has the issue, but we have reports from users that do. It could be something as simple as the graphics drivers attempting to "help" the application by throwing all its resources at drawing something that does not require that many resources. We're still in the discovery phase of determining which buttons, knobs, and switches may be the root cause among all the various end user configurations.

Thank you for the clarification. Good to know that you have some systems suffering from the same problem and that you are keeping an eye on it.
    My PC is a dual boot Windoes 10 / Linux so in the future, if a Linux version of FGU will be confirmed, I could also give it a try.
    Anyway, I'm available for any test you consider useful.

Thread Information