Starfinder Playlist
Page 2 of 14 First 123412 ... Last
  1. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by LordEntrails View Post
    I read those posts. Personally I am highly suspicious that they had any type of evidence to support such a claim.
    Also color me skeptical. I think this is a case of people connecting when the matchmaking server is overloaded, seeing poor performance... then running as admin and connecting later when the matchmaking server is in better shape, seeing better performance... and failing to correctly identify where the improvement came from.

    In general, if FGU is properly installed with the expected permissions on your data folder (it by default it is), running as admin is at best unnecessary. I could imagine several bad things that might come out of it as well.

  2. #12
    Ok, further to the issues I reported before, I have moved FGU over to my iMac Pro, which has 32GB, RadeonPro Vega 56 8GB, and 8 core 3.2Ghz Xeon W processor.

    I was running FGU for about 10 minutes, and I was the only person using it. I was creating an effect for an upcoming game, and the CPU's shot up to 100%. As soon as I shut down FGU, all the CPUs returned to normal.

    Here is a screenshot showing the process utilization:

    fg1.png

  3. #13
    pindercarl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    608
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by JustMark View Post
    Ok, further to the issues I reported before, I have moved FGU over to my iMac Pro, which has 32GB, RadeonPro Vega 56 8GB, and 8 core 3.2Ghz Xeon W processor.

    I was running FGU for about 10 minutes, and I was the only person using it. I was creating an effect for an upcoming game, and the CPU's shot up to 100%. As soon as I shut down FGU, all the CPUs returned to normal.

    Here is a screenshot showing the process utilization:

    fg1.png
    Thanks, JustMark. This is very much looking like an issue that is, if not Mac specific, Mac evident.
    Last edited by pindercarl; April 22nd, 2020 at 01:15.

  4. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by JustMark View Post
    I've been running into similar issues.

    I have an i9 with 32GB of ram, and when running FGU I often end up with 7 cores at 100%, fans on full blast and really slow performance. This can be with just me using it to configure a campaign. Server version is 2020-04-17
    Hey, noticed with the recent update that cpu is much lower. Are you seeing the same results?

  5. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by vaughnlannister View Post
    Hey, noticed with the recent update that cpu is much lower. Are you seeing the same results?
    Hi,

    The issue I ran into yesterday on my iMac Pro was with the latest version (04-17)

    I'm trying to be able to reproduce this reliably. It seems to have been happening when I was using the Combat Tracker. I was cycling through turns rapidly to test some effects. Will see if I can make this happen again reliably today.

  6. #16
    qdwag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    209
    I have seen the same on my MacBook Pro with the Vega graphics card. FGU idle drives my cpu to 50%. Nothing else running. The minute I load a map the fans kick in and it drives my cpu to 100%.

    There are no players connected and the game’s hosted via LAN. It’s been like this since I got FGU 2 months back. I think the recent optimisations have helped a little because in the past, just having FGU open alone would drive all my cpu cores to 100%, constant.

    It would be so nice to see FGU working like FG Classic soon.

  7. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by qdwag View Post
    I have seen the same on my MacBook Pro with the Vega graphics card. FGU idle drives my cpu to 50%. Nothing else running. The minute I load a map the fans kick in and it drives my cpu to 100%.

    There are no players connected and the game’s hosted via LAN. It’s been like this since I got FGU 2 months back. I think the recent optimisations have helped a little because in the past, just having FGU open alone would drive all my cpu cores to 100%, constant.

    It would be so nice to see FGU working like FG Classic soon.
    Just to add to qdwag's comment - my FGU games have always been LAN based too.

    Another note, if I leave FGU running on my system, it can do so for hours without any CPU issues.

    As a simple test, I have had it running now for several hours with no interaction. I just switched to it, brought up the combat tracker (5 players listed), and then just repeatedly hit the Next Actor button. Went through 15 rounds, and now my CPU cores are all at 100%.
    Last edited by JustMark; April 22nd, 2020 at 15:57.

  8. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by pindercarl View Post
    Thanks, JustMark. This is very much looking like an issue that is, if not Mac specific, Mac evident.
    I've experienced similar symptoms on Windows. However, I am connecting to a game running on a MacBook. I'd be surprised if that's relevant to GPU usage, but stranger things have happened!

    I'm running on a Surface Pro 3, driving a 4K monitor at 29 Hz with 150% scaling of the Windows UI. FGU's ScaleUI is set to 150 also. I have a Surface Dock connected to the computer, but the monitor is connected directly to the Surface Pro's mini-DP port rather than via the dock, because I've been having trouble getting the dock to reliably detect the monitor's full resolution capability.

    The FGU version is 4.0.0 FREE (2020-04-17). The GM is hosting the game on Ultimate edition on a MacBook Pro. Same version of FGU I believe.

    My system specs are:
    • Intel Core i5-4300U CPU, nominal base clock 2.5GHz, max turbo 2.9GHz, 2 physical cores, 4 logical cores
    • 8 GB RAM
    • Intel "HD 4400" integrated graphics running the "latest" stock drivers available from Windows Update, version 20.19.15.4568 (timestamped 2016-12-16!)
    • 256 GB integrated SSD storage
    • Windows 10 Pro version 1909
    • The game is using the Savage Worlds Adventure Edition (SWADE) Weird Wars ruleset.


    It's certainly no supercomputer but it can handle all my other 2d apps just fine.

    When the app is running, GPU usage sits at 100% in the "Task Manager->GPU->3D" subcategory and the fans spin up to max. Unfortunately the Surface Pro 3's poor cooling capability means that the CPU actually throttles badly when the GPU is experiencing sustained max load. It was downclocking the CPU to as low as 0.8 GHz! The whole computer became very laggy.

    Next time I connect to the game I would be happy to collect any more data that you would like for further troubleshooting. I'm a software developer myself (industrial rather than gaming) so don't be shy about asking me for technical stuff.

    cpu.png
    Last edited by CherenkovGlow; April 22nd, 2020 at 17:15.

  9. #19
    qdwag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    209
    Quote Originally Posted by CherenkovGlow View Post
    I've experienced similar symptoms on Windows. However, I am connecting to a game running on a MacBook. I'd be surprised if that's relevant to GPU usage, but stranger things have happened!

    I'm running on a Surface Pro 3, driving a 4K monitor at 29 Hz with 150% scaling of the Windows UI. FGU's ScaleUI is set to 150 also. I have a Surface Dock connected to the computer, but the monitor is connected directly to the Surface Pro's mini-DP port rather than via the dock, because I've been having trouble getting the dock to reliably detect the monitor's full resolution capability.

    The FGU version is 4.0.0 FREE (2020-04-17). The GM is hosting the game on Ultimate edition on a MacBook Pro. Same version of FGU I believe.

    My system specs are:
    • Intel Core i5-4300U CPU, nominal base clock 2.5GHz, max turbo 2.9GHz, 2 physical cores, 4 logical cores
    • 8 GB RAM
    • Intel "HD 4400" integrated graphics running the "latest" stock drivers available from Windows Update, version 20.19.15.4568 (timestamped 2016-12-16!)
    • 256 GB integrated SSD storage
    • Windows 10 Pro version 1909


    It's certainly no supercomputer but it can handle all my other 2d apps just fine.

    When the app is running, GPU usage sits at 100% in the "Task Manager->GPU->3D" subcategory and the fans spin up to max. Unfortunately the Surface Pro 3's poor cooling capability means that the CPU actually throttles badly when the GPU is experiencing sustained max load. It was downclocking the CPU to as low as 0.8 GHz! The whole computer became very laggy.

    Next time I connect to the game I would be happy to collect any more data that you would like for further troubleshooting. I'm a software developer myself (industrial rather than gaming) so don't be shy about asking me for technical stuff.

    cpu.png
    Sounds identical to what I am seeing here, albeit a different OS.

  10. #20
    Just a quick update. I ran a 5 hour Starfinder session tonight with 5 players and everything worked like a charm. I didn’t experience any of the high cpu rates that I had experienced recently.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
FG Spreadshirt Swag

Log in

Log in