DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

No Power Points Option

What exactly does the No Power Points setting in the Options menu do? According to SWADE:

Instead of using Power Points, characters with Arcane Backgrounds simply choose the power they want to activate and make an arcane skill roll. The penalty to the roll is the power’s total cost in Power Points (base cost plus all Modifiers), divided by 2. Round up.

But when I turn the option on in FG nothing seems to happen and no modifiers are automatically applied. Is there a way that can be added? Or have I missed something?
    Game Streams - twitch.tv/rodney418
    Ultimate License
    - All you need to play in my games is Fantasy Grounds Demo

Favourite Rulesets: Savage Worlds
    Currently Running: Pirates of the Spanish Main, Interface Zero, Primeval Thule
    Time Zone: PST

Further to this, when I load the Lanhkmar module (which uses No Power Points rule by default) the correct casting modifiers are listed instead of Power Points, but once again they don't seem to do anything...
    Ultimate License

I would imagine not, since there to my knowledge is no inherent removal of power points usually in their application. I would suspect that you would just use the modifier feature to apply the appropriate penalty to your die roll. A quick read through on the wiki states, "The amount of power points granted and/or used is not automated in the character sheet."

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rodney418 View Post
    Further to this, when I load the Lanhkmar module (which uses No Power Points rule by default) the correct casting modifiers are listed instead of Power Points, but once again they don't seem to do anything...
    I'll jump in on this one anyway: the Lankhmar extension (not module) does indeed enable the No Power Points rule and it also removes the power points label from the power sheet and adds the casting modifier label. Getting some automation to work has been on my "To Do" list but I'm not that far along with my Lua learning yet.

So... what exactly does enabling the No PP option in the Options menu actually do then? Anything?
    Ultimate License

Blog Entries
    I have no clue what it normally does. It's a required setting for Lankhmar so the extension forcibly enables it, which has the effect of hiding the PP fields (if I recall) but I don't remember if the ruleset has built-in automation for No Power Points. Just saying that I'm not far enough along with my Lua studies to code automation for the Casting Modifier. Adding the casting modifier data fields under the hood would have broken any automation that was already there.

It doesn't hide the PP fields - at least not in FGU. I don't think it does in FGC either.

NoPP.png
    Ultimate License

And I understand about the automation, I'm not complaining, just trying to figure out what's going on and what the best workaround is. At the moment I'm just manually adding a Casting Penalty modifier to the Spellweaving dice roll (as you can see in the previous screenshot).
    Ultimate License

Blog Entries
    Ah ok, I'll have to re-check the extension then. SmiteWorks has made one or two patches to Lankhmar on their own to account for some Unity changes so it's possible that part got killed. It does still 'fix' the power sheet though, at least.

Attached Images Attached Images

The changes we made were purely for font substitution for FGU.

Cheers,
    JPG

Thread Information