5E Character Create Playlist
Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Using video maps?

Hi all,
    I remember that one of the goals of Unity was that we could use videos as maps, like the Dynamic Dungeons maps. I used these a lot in my face to face games (with my VTT table), and would like to start using them again if possible.

Is this functionality available now? If not, is it on the to do list for Unity? Any idea at what stage it will be available? (ie, when the beta is over, when the full app is finished, etc).

While it might be something we look at eventually, animated image assets are not supported at this time.

There are FX layers in FGU, but they are very different than animated images.

Regards,
    JPG

It's something you may want to look into. FG is falling behind the competitors in this.

While it will be cool to have video file played as map layer but the lack of is not a deal breaker at all. Those things are quite new, limited in terms of content and functionality. It is gimmick, not feature around your whole experience should be based. If this is your purchasing criteria - you are in the wrong hobby.
    The past is a rudder to guide us, not an anchor to hold us back.

Quote Originally Posted by Valyar View Post
    While it will be cool to have video file played as map layer but the lack of is not a deal breaker at all. Those things are quite new, limited in terms of content and functionality. It is gimmick, not feature around your whole experience should be based. If this is your purchasing criteria - you are in the wrong hobby.
    Whereas I agree to some extent - it's not essential - I think keeping up on more advanced trends is important. And video is just one FG doesn't have (dynamic lighting, etc.). The rule system in FG is awesome, along with extensions, etc. But other systems are catching up on that front, and adding LOS, Dynamic Lighting, Video Maps, etc. - all right out of the gate. It's better to be ahead of the crowd than catching up.

As someone heavily invested in FG, I agree: while the lack of this is not a deal breaker, it is something I am looking for in a VTT.

Blog Entries
    IMO, the effects capabilities in FGU show a lot more promise for the types of video/animation/motion that I would enjoy in my maps than being able to play videos.

Besides has has been stated time ad naseum, moving to the a Unity engine is in major part to allow much more rapid development of future enhancements. Yes the growth of FGU will be limited some as FGC compatibility is maintained, but once FGU is the dominant FG platform and FGC support can be retired, roll out of new features will be even quicker.

I will also say comparing FG to other VTTs that have never had a production release, have only been around for a year or so, have no licensed content and otherwise have no proof of longevity is like comparing a car you can buy at a dealership to a prototype shown at the Detroit Auto Show. One you can count on being available and supported. The other is just someone's fancy.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Quote Originally Posted by LordEntrails View Post
    IMO, the effects capabilities in FGU show a lot more promise for the types of video/animation/motion that I would enjoy in my maps than being able to play videos.

Besides has has been stated time ad naseum, moving to the a Unity engine is in major part to allow much more rapid development of future enhancements. Yes the growth of FGU will be limited some as FGC compatibility is maintained, but once FGU is the dominant FG platform and FGC support can be retired, roll out of new features will be even quicker.

I will also say comparing FG to other VTTs that have never had a production release, have only been around for a year or so, have no licensed content and otherwise have no proof of longevity is like comparing a car you can buy at a dealership to a prototype shown at the Detroit Auto Show. One you can count on being available and supported. The other is just someone's fancy.
    I mostly agree with this, re comparisons. But, however less functional they are, video maps are pretty cool. They have shadows, audio, etc. that add a lot of immersiveness (sic) to a campaign. Of course, some of this can be approximated with effects, but it's not quite the same.

For me, I would like to see (eventually):

- Full dynamic light sources, including light sources carried by the player(s)
    - LOS that accounts for darkvision and has range per player (also LOS that doesn't crash my, and my players', 64bit computers)
    - More effects
    - Sound, including triggered sound events

Do I expect all of that right away? Of course not! But a lot of these would be great to have.

Quote Originally Posted by Valyar View Post
    Tell that to the hobby which spawned a thousand intricately painted minis and a whole industry of terrain-based companies like Dwarven Forge. Trying to make our fantasy worlds real regardless of medium is an intrinsic part of the hobby.
    I bash.

I would really, really like animated maps aswell, swaying trees, rivers, burning campfires... Just downloading them from youtube and then use in FGU would be sooooo nice. It is the one thing I feel is lacking in this product aswell.
    My limited experience with FG (ultimate license for about a month) is that it is very "game technical" with rule features like targeting etc. but not as easy on the immersion with the lack of animations and not being able to play sounds / music for the players (I saw some mod that I will need to try for this).

Without doing that much research I figured a new version VTT that was using unity would have all theese kinds of bells and whistles (maybe in time). But as of right now apart from the new LOS layer it feels like a product from early 2000.

I do not want to spend the majority of the time assigning targets, represent the correct various statuses and modifiers in effect and so on. I want the most time spent to be on storytelling, creating atmosphere and grabbing the attention of each player.

So it is my greatest wish, with my newly bought ultimate, that this will come soon =)
    Last edited by Zargas; August 7th, 2020 at 22:47.

Thread Information