5E Product Walkthrough Playlist
Page 4 of 20 First ... 2345614 ... Last

Thread: Lock Tokens

Quote Originally Posted by fabiocm View Post
    I think that token lock was not that important in FG:C as it will be in Unity because of LOS. With manual masking there's nothing to really hide from players besides what is already masked. But with automatic reveals the movement importance reach another level.
    Agreed.

Lock token at the moment really is stopping me from switching to FGU. It sounds silly, as I know it appears to be just a small issue, but the turn based nature of combat really benefits from this feature.

Quote Originally Posted by spoonhead View Post
    Lock token at the moment really is stopping me from switching to FGU. It sounds silly, as I know it appears to be just a small issue, but the turn based nature of combat really benefits from this feature.
    I do not think it is silly. It makes the tactical aspect of the game ... tactical.

Yes I need this is well. Thank you!
    Last edited by daggertx; September 4th, 2020 at 01:48.

It's interesting because I thought that the lack of token lock would be an issue but actually it isn't at all. It has forced my players to move more slowly in a group with the stronger party members in front, and for them to stay in a group rather than get scattered. Thus it is much easier to sort out the situation where a trap or ambush is sprung because the party is where it is rather than strung out waiting for moves to be approved. During combat the LoS makes for much more tactical situations where the players might not be able to see not only enemy positions but where their allies are as well. They use the keyboard to move a square at a time and just count the squares.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

I never used lock tokens because it sadly also locks facing, but I understand that one likes the measurement tool for measuring the distance moved (for the movement itself I just tell my players they should not simply move everywhere)

I think it is difficult to implement though. Imagine your token does not see some enemy around a corner and your movement does not take this into account. When I would suddenly see an enemy where I didn't expect any, then I would change my movement at that point. hence, the LoS needs to be updated along the way while planning the move, but I often see these complaints because DMs do not want that players use their movement to unhide hidden areas, and that approach would not help in that regard. (But without updating the LoS already in the planning, it is like you drive a car, then you see a tree but the DM doesn't allow you to use your brakes because you already said your movement without using brakes Not very realistic then, besides that people have a reaction time in reality, but you hopefully get what I want to say ) Therefore, even when lock tokens will be implemented somewhen, it may still be a requirement that people do not misuse the LoS system (if that is some problem concerning you; as said, I understand completely the point to get that tool for tactical stuff )

Quote Originally Posted by Kelrugem View Post
    I never used lock tokens because it sadly also locks facing, but I understand that one likes the measurement tool for measuring the distance moved (for the movement itself I just tell my players they should not simply move everywhere)

I think it is difficult to implement though. Imagine your token does not see some enemy around a corner and your movement does not take this into account. When I would suddenly see an enemy where I didn't expect any, then I would change my movement at that point. hence, the LoS needs to be updated along the way while planning the move, but I often see these complaints because DMs do not want that players use their movement to unhide hidden areas, and that approach would not help in that regard. (But without updating the LoS already in the planning, it is like you drive a car, then you see a tree but the DM doesn't allow you to use your brakes because you already said your movement without using brakes Not very realistic then, besides that people have a reaction time in reality, but you hopefully get what I want to say ) Therefore, even when lock tokens will be implemented somewhen, it may still be a requirement that people do not misuse the LoS system (if that is some problem concerning you; as said, I understand completely the point to get that tool for tactical stuff )
    I see your point, but in this case, (as a DM) I would simply allow the player to change alter movement to react to what is being revealed (in your example, the car and the tree).

I didn't know it also locked facing. Does that mean you can't ever adjust your facing, even when you're plotting your movement?
    Last edited by Indus101; September 15th, 2020 at 20:41. Reason: syntax error

Quote Originally Posted by Indus101 View Post
    I see your point, but in this case (as a DM) I would simply allow the player to change alter movement to react to what is being revealed (in your example, the car and the tree).

I didn't know it also locked facing. Does that mean you can't ever adjust your facing, even when you're plotting your movement?
    yeah, of course one can then simply allow to change movement, that is true Just wanted to point out that I can understand that one wants to think about the concept first

Hehe, yes, facing is always locked then in FGC we play with facing rules and at the very beginning we tried out lock tokens. The result was that I as the DM always needed to adjust the facing of my players because they couldn't adjust it on their own, so, they always needed to tell me where they want to look at We got quickly annoyed by that and therefore I stopped using lock tokens I hope FGU will not do the same when this will be implemented

Never having owned FGC, I didn't realize this was the case. Yeah, I can see where that would quickly become tiring as a DM. Hopefully when token locking is implemented, this will change and players will have the ability to adjust facing as part of their plotted movement.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacchaeus View Post
    It's interesting because I thought that the lack of token lock would be an issue but actually it isn't at all. It has forced my players to move more slowly in a group with the stronger party members in front, and for them to stay in a group rather than get scattered. Thus it is much easier to sort out the situation where a trap or ambush is sprung because the party is where it is rather than strung out waiting for moves to be approved. During combat the LoS makes for much more tactical situations where the players might not be able to see not only enemy positions but where their allies are as well. They use the keyboard to move a square at a time and just count the squares.
    Out of combat, I have no problem with FGU. It is in combat, it is where the movement is critical. I think both the token pathing (not locking!) and the LoS would be amazing. I don't necessary need locking; I need the segmented paths.

We tried FGU out for probably 5-6 sessions, but it wasn't doing it for us, so we have been back on FGC until this is resolved.

Thread Information