DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 2 of 20 First 123412 ... Last

Thread: Lock Tokens

I'm with lostsanityreturned. If the player cannot control themselves, then they are simply not welcome at the table (virtual or otherwise).

I know its in the sticky, but I cannot bring my players to transition into unity without some kind of managed and enforceable movement system. It isn't that I don't trust them, its that we love having out turn plotted out before pulling the trigger.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kanbie View Post
    I know its in the sticky, but I cannot bring my players to transition into unity without some kind of managed and enforceable movement system. It isn't that I don't trust them, its that we love having out turn plotted out before pulling the trigger.
    Then you will have to wait until some indeterminable time after full release.

I suspect the devs will catch up on this thread before then so they will know that there is one more person urging this feature to be implemented.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Quote Originally Posted by Kanbie View Post
    I am in the same boat, there were 2 things keeping me from moving to FGU, I just found out one of them is resolved. I had not tested it in a while but FGU now works well with the Syrincape sound system and chat triggers found at DM's Guild, an essential element for my games. The last piece that is a game breaker for me is locking tokens. My players actually prefer it as well, so they dont accidentally move. Not only does it stop people from being able to randomly cheat, but it also assists the DM, sometimes movement tigers another event, often before the movement is complete as with traps. Say a player was going to move 35 feet, but falls into a pit trap after 10 feet. FGU shows the player the room that he player never actually saw.

My players will propose a move, token locked to show me what they intend, it works wonderfully in FGC, waiting for this in FGU

I am quite excited and pleased with what I have seen with Unity, I do hope this last thing ( to my group anyway ) is addressed at some point. My play group is looking forward to when we can move over.

I know there are complicated, and contrived ways to work around this ( putting traps in every single square and then turning the off only on the legal moves people can make ) was probably meant in humor, but imagine actually needing to do that as a work around for a missing essential game element. No this is a missing element that is important to people. There is not something wrong with the DM or the players, there is something missing from the implementation.
    Last edited by DwightLee; August 10th, 2020 at 12:15.

Although it's not kept me from having a great time playing in Unity (the admittedly-basic LOS system and 64 bit support make up for it in my games), this is the #1 thing I miss about Classic.

A pretty good workaround is using masking in Unity along with LOS.

Quote Originally Posted by bmos View Post
    A pretty good workaround is using masking in Unity along with LOS.
    Yep. that's what I'm doing.
    I find any "punish your players for bad behavior" posts unhelpful (in other threads as well).
    "Punishing" characters in game for bad player behavior never makes a better game in My experience.
    I do agree if a player cannot follow the rules long term it's okay to remove them from your game.
    Last edited by Blackwolfe; August 12th, 2020 at 16:24. Reason: clarity
    Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Give aid to those in need when you are able. Never follow thoughts of gain into the pursuit of evil, and never hesitate to kill the villain while you have the chance.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackwolfe View Post
    I find any "punish your players for bad behavior" posts unhelpful (in other threads as well).
    "Punishing" players in game for bad behavior never makes a better game in My experience.
    I do agree if a player cannot follow the rules long term it's okay to remove them from your game.
    I agree, once I started using Token Lock in FGC, I was surprised that my players actually preferred it that way.

I'm just wondering, does anyone know why the Token Lock feature isn't taking a higher priority in the FGU development queue?
    It's quite an important feature IMHO.

The 'development queue' hasn't started yet. At the outset of Unity Alpha no new features were going to be added until Unity was to be released. A number of items such as return to the start screen and token locking were found to be problematic to do in Unity so they were dropped from the list of initial features. The way movement will work hasn't even been decided yet (well it wasn't a few months back anyway) and so that's somewhere in the development queue after release.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Quote Originally Posted by Blackwolfe View Post
    "Punishing" characters in game for bad player behavior never makes a better game in My experience.
    The "As well" in your post suggests you think people were advocating for punishing a player in this thread. Were there any such posts here?

I would say it is "I read the adventure in advance", "I have the monster manual open" or "I look at the GM's notes when they are in the toilet" style meta cheating. Anyone who continues to do something like this after being caught out and asked not to, will just keep doing it. And if the GM doesn't like it, it will cause resentment over time and that is what is important (especially when it comes to burnout).

It isn't about punishing someone for doing wrong, it is about caring for yourself, the campaign, and the other players.
    It can even open up a dialogue, if they come back with a "sorry for doing it, I really do like the group and was being a bit of a fool because I could. I promise I won't do it again" I would let it be a group decision. However if they showed hostility they would be gone for good, same if they ever repeated the actions again. No arguments, threats or debates.

I am speaking from my own mistakes in the past of trying to be more accomodating and putting myself last. It was especially hard when I was running lots of public games for folks I didn't know at my FLGS, I was feeling like I was being mean to them whenever I would have to have the talk.

- Had one girl who would openly direct the party through dungeons because they knew what was where, telling other players stuff like "no, that way has xxxxx, this way has xxxxx" or telling people what items to bring, spells to prep and such.

- Another who whenever he would get bored because the tone had shifted to RP would turn it to a fight or torpedo the scene so he could have the spotlight again. Regardless of how frequently he had had it that session already.

For the record neither of these people were malicious or nasty in intent, but they both valued themselves more and continued their behaviour over 6 months (the latter for nearly a year) and were constantly testing where the boundaries were.
    Last edited by lostsanityreturned; August 12th, 2020 at 20:40.

Thread Information