FG Spreadshirt Swag
Page 1 of 20 12311 ... Last

Thread: Lock Tokens

Lock Tokens

How do I lock tokens so that players have to have their moves accepted? It is especially useful for measuring movement distance or not having players move their tokens (or someone elses!) out of order.

Blog Entries
    You can't. Yet. Please see stickies at the top of the forum for items like this that have not yet been implemented.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Thanks!

I did look but missed that point. I am not sure if I can try this out without that aspect as I have too many players to track and would easily miss moves especially when it would reveal sections of the map if an accidental move occurred.

Blog Entries
    I get it. (And no problem missing the sticky!)

Something to think about, how many accidental things can a player do that you don't worry about? Do you worry they might accidentally alter their character sheet? Do you check that they don't incorrectly add a modifier to a die roll?

To me, it's just not worth the time and stress. I trust my players to do what's right. Not because I implicitly trust them to never make a mistake, but because the way I run my games (you don't have to run it the way I do!) It doesn't matter if someone makes a mistake. If we catch it we correct it and move on. But no single mistake ruins the story or our fun, and worrying about folks making mistakes isn't worth my time or stress. (FOR ME!)

Happy gaming

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

You are right, and I thought of it like that as well. I do trust my players, but I do have to go check their spell slots, ki points, sorc points, etc. to have them update them after using abilities; not all the time, but it happens and is never a malicious/cheating mistake.

We are so used to dragging a token 30 ft for a move. Now, with FGU, you have to draw line and move the token, or try to count moves while tapping the arrow keys. What if a player is moving, especially in combat, and moves past a trap and I miss it because I didn't approve, or a player runs around a corner, and I have an NPC with a readied action to attack, but I miss it because of the non approval; the player can move freely and attack before I catch it. I can't really retroactively fix something like that.

Trying to track both movement and all of the other things is what is making my shy away from it right now. Also, locking the tokens makes the game feel much more tactical and turn based for me rather than "video game" style.

I do remember locking tokens the first time we ever used FG because of the chaos it can cause, especially with players accidentally moving someone else's character and then not remembering where they started at. We have been using FG for over 4 years and I have logged thousands of hours into the platform. I want to use FGU, but this is still a blocker for me.

I made a list of the pros and cons of using FGU vs FGC and the critical reasons that I would use one or the other for my new campaign. The short list of reasons to pick one or the other for me, prioritized by importance:

FGC: Locking Tokens > Player Map Toolbar > Player Map Toolbar

FGU: Better Grids > Map Effects > LOS Effects

Honestly the first reason is the main driver by far for me. If FGU had locking tokens I would be using it without hesitation. I trust my players just fine--the locked tokens is so nice for reactions during the move.

The moment I can lock tokens in FGU, I'll be switching because I love the grid system allowing me to set a decimal in the grid size--so many maps I've downloaded take a grid perfectly when I can put a ".5" on the grid size, that I can never get to line up in FGC, settling for adjusting the grid after they traverse a certain amount of the map.
    "We all take our risks, here in the dungeon." --Bargle
    Watch For Falling Meteors (Twitch.tv) Wednesday @ 7:00 PM Mountain - 5E World of Mystara
    Ultimate License DM
    Watch for Falling Meteors (YouTube Playlist)
    Xorn's 5E @ FG Tutorials (YouTube Playlist)

Yes please add lock tokens function.
    Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Give aid to those in need when you are able. Never follow thoughts of gain into the pursuit of evil, and never hesitate to kill the villain while you have the chance.

I have one player, that ever since we started using FGU, when we enter a new map he starts slinging his token everywhere to open up the line of sight so he can see everything. Locking tokens would be great.

Quote Originally Posted by Milke View Post
    I have one player, that ever since we started using FGU, when we enter a new map he starts slinging his token everywhere to open up the line of sight so he can see everything. Locking tokens would be great.
    very simple solution to stop this, lots of traps without a save that kills does enough damage to bring the player to 1 hp, if they repeat the character dies in an area to far from anyone else to administer healing, time for a new character. my favourite trap is a 200ft pit without a save to avoid

Quote Originally Posted by Milke View Post
    Even after you have told them to stop?

You are a more patient person than me, that sort of behaviour would get a "don't come back" and no third chance. There are plenty of players, and people like that don't deserve a slot imo.

Thread Information