STAR TREK 2d20
Page 2 of 2 First 12
    Hi Bale Nomad,

This is a way to get around that but it makes things messy with the number of tables needed.
    Open-Ended Tables Example.JPG

I just duplicated the table and added a -4 for 96, -3 for 97, -2 for 98 and -1 for 99. I didn't really have to do the 100 one since I could just use the original one.

Dakadin

Dakadin,

That does get messy. If you were to do it that way, the modifiers would start with 0 on the "96" table and increase to +4 on the "100" table, because the open-ended roll result for 96 would actually start at 97 (96+1). Doing it this way would also change the statistical probability of getting another high end roll, so that also would need to be taken into consideration.

I am not a statistician, so I don't know the math well enough, but if I were putting the tables together, I think I would live with the error of treating 96-100 the same and not adding the 2nd roll to the 1st roll. It may decrease the probability of 1-5 on the subsequent table (97-101 on a manual 2nd roll), but it simplifies the process.

This is really a FGC issue, at least for high open-ended d100 rolls, because FGU can handle them with the exploding die expression. A standard high open-ended roll would be expressed as "/die d100e96". Low open-ended rolls are still an issue.

I found a statistical discussion of open-ended rolls here: https://www.guildcompanion.com/scrol...cearticle.html

Bale Nomad

Should this discussion be moved to a new thread?

Quote Originally Posted by Bale Nomad View Post
    Should this discussion be moved to a new thread?
    Yes, I moved them to a new thread so it doesn't sidetrack your random treasure module thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Bale Nomad View Post
    Dakadin,

That does get messy. If you were to do it that way, the modifiers would start with 0 on the "96" table and increase to +4 on the "100" table, because the open-ended roll result for 96 would actually start at 97 (96+1). Doing it this way would also change the statistical probability of getting another high end roll, so that also would need to be taken into consideration.

I am not a statistician, so I don't know the math well enough, but if I were putting the tables together, I think I would live with the error of treating 96-100 the same and not adding the 2nd roll to the 1st roll. It may decrease the probability of 1-5 on the subsequent table (97-101 on a manual 2nd roll), but it simplifies the process.

This is really a FGC issue, at least for high open-ended d100 rolls, because FGU can handle them with the exploding die expression. A standard high open-ended roll would be expressed as "/die d100e96". Low open-ended rolls are still an issue.

I found a statistical discussion of open-ended rolls here: https://www.guildcompanion.com/scrol...cearticle.html

Bale Nomad
    Good points. What I need to do was adjust the 96-99 tables to be a range less based on the modifiers so 96 should have started at -3 (1-4) and maxed out at 96 (100-4). 96 would still link to the 100 table/unmodified table, 95 to the 99 table, etc. Then it would work like a high open-ended rolls. The problem then becomes the numbers won't look right when it continues to roll even though with that modification, it should work like a normal high open-ended roll.

An open-ended or low open-ended roll would be tough to do that way because of the nature of subtracting the results for all additional rolls when you start with a 1-5 result with the rerolls happen on 96-100 for the additional rolls.

Does the "/die d100e96" work on the tables? I definitely wish I could have used something that simple for the ruleset because coming up with the rolls in the CoreRPG version was a challenge.
    Last edited by Dakadin; April 13th, 2020 at 05:39.

No, the macro didn't work with the CoreRPG table. I started a new thread about it in the Unity playtest forum: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...l=1#post494819

Dakadin,

Moon Wizard responded in the other thread that eventually the CoreRPG tables will work with more complex dice macros in FGU. The objective is to make sure everything from FGC works properly in FGU before introducing any such improvements on the old functionality.

Bale Nomad

Hi BaleNomad,

I modified the CoreRPG tables so that they will handle open-ended tables to the RMC ruleset. You don't have to add any dice. Just build the table and if the range of the table is greater than 100 it will figure out if the roll should be open-ended, high open-ended or low open-ended automatically and rolls the additional rolls if required then look up the appropriate table row and output it to chat like normal. It is currently on the test channel and will be released to the live channel on Tuesday. Here is a screenshot of the Human Conceptions and Children per Conception tables from Rolemaster Companion 1 that you used as an example. It took me a few rolls to finally get an open-ended high roll though.
    Open-Ended Tables Example2.JPG

I already added the 4 missing tables from Character Law that involved open-ended rolls or were closely related to them. Those are in with the open-ended tables update. Here is the list of new tables:
    * [Added] Character Law Table 04-03: Size Table as CoreRPG Table
    * [Added] Character Law Table 04-04: Build Frame as CoreRPG Table
    * [Added] Character Law Table 08-11: Purchase Price Chart as CoreRPG Table
    * [Added] Character Law Table 08-12: Resale Price as CoreRPG Table

I am going to work on the Creatures & Treasures tables to try to make the following weeks release since most of those tables are open-ended I wanted to wait for this feature.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,
    Dakadin

Dakadin,

Very cool! Thanks for your hard work. I threw together a quick test table and it worked perfectly!

Bale Nomad

The C&T tables are taking more work than expected so they won't make the release this week. Hopefully next week.

Thread Information