SWADE Playlist
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  1. #1

    FGU Performance and modules

    Hi,

    Quick question to more experienced heads...

    Are there performance implications for having lots of modules? Does everyone have to do a network copy on game start for a) unloaded modules b) GM-only loaded modules or c) only the player loaded modules?

    If so, is it worth only turning modules on when I'm using them in-game? For example, planning that I might use an adventure from Storm King's Thunder - is it worth doing my prep but then turning the module off until I'm pretty sure the players are going to get there, even if that means having to turn the module on actually during the game?

    Or are the penalties insignificant?

    Ditto does it cause any network copying if I have dozens and dozens of unloaded modules? Might just have bought a ton of stuff as an Easter present to myself! Is it worth keeping the modules I'm not likely to use outside the FG folders or will they just sit there until I turn them on?

    Are there any other gotchas for performance? I've seen a few threads saying not to load up too many tokens, for example. Should I switch off Tome Of Beasts if I'm not planning to use it this session, or won't it make a significant difference? Or will it just be one big copy the first time everyone logs in to the game and fine thereafter?

    My upload speed is not the highest so copying multiple big modules out to five different players unnecessarily is probably worth avoiding...

    Cheers, Hywel
    Last edited by HywelPhillips; April 12th, 2020 at 20:49.

  2. #2
    LordEntrails's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    -7 UTC
    Posts
    14,480
    Blog Entries
    9
    MOD: Moved to Playtest forums

    Loading modules impacts performance. Unloaded modules do not.

    Having unneeded modules loaded makes the lists of objects very long and tedious. Why would you want thousands of story entries you are not going to use, or dozens of copies of common NPC and items etc?

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by LordEntrails View Post
    MOD: Moved to Playtest forums

    Loading modules impacts performance. Unloaded modules do not.

    Having unneeded modules loaded makes the lists of objects very long and tedious. Why would you want thousands of story entries you are not going to use, or dozens of copies of common NPC and items etc?
    When a run my Avernus game I have about 16 modules loaded. The majority is from the FG Store.

    FGU has no excuse to have this kind of performace issue.

  4. #4
    LordEntrails's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    -7 UTC
    Posts
    14,480
    Blog Entries
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by brunocalado View Post
    FGU has no excuse to have this kind of performace issue.
    FGU is beta software. One should not have the expectations for beta software one has for production software.

    Debating about such is not productive, so that's all I will say about it.

  5. #5
    LordEntrails, thank you, that was what I assumed. I will unload all modules I'm not actively planning to use in the current game, but sounds like I don't need to drag them out of the FG modules folder.

    Cheers, Hywel

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by LordEntrails View Post
    MOD: Moved to Playtest forums

    Loading modules impacts performance. Unloaded modules do not.

    Having unneeded modules loaded makes the lists of objects very long and tedious. Why would you want thousands of story entries you are not going to use, or dozens of copies of common NPC and items etc?
    Unfortunately, some baggage gets carried around even if we don't want to. I have at least: the DM, Xanatar, PHB, Acq Inc, Volo's, Sword coast's and some of the player's version of these. I wish I did not carry around any of the duplicate entries in NPCs, spells, etc. but that is out of my control.
    5E DM, Player, FG conversions, learning LUA, engineer, geek, Ultimate License, Unity Supporter.

    DMs Guild Creator

  7. #7
    LordEntrails's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    -7 UTC
    Posts
    14,480
    Blog Entries
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by 4wire View Post
    Unfortunately, some baggage gets carried around even if we don't want to. I have at least: the DM, Xanatar, PHB, Acq Inc, Volo's, Sword coast's and some of the player's version of these. I wish I did not carry around any of the duplicate entries in NPCs, spells, etc. but that is out of my control.
    They will not duplicate if you do not have them loaded. If you have them loaded then you will get duplicates (because though they have the same names, they are different database objects and potentially could be different).

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by LordEntrails View Post
    They will not duplicate if you do not have them loaded. If you have them loaded then you will get duplicates (because though they have the same names, they are different database objects and potentially could be different).
    I guess I should have said that I loaded these, I thought that was obvious. But yeah, that was a list of things I keep loaded. Another reason to load (or preload) is to try and diminish the performance issues.
    5E DM, Player, FG conversions, learning LUA, engineer, geek, Ultimate License, Unity Supporter.

    DMs Guild Creator

  9. #9
    I really like mods. Takes 30+mins to load the table. It is a problem. I wish there was a way to consolidate the files.

  10. #10
    LordEntrails's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    -7 UTC
    Posts
    14,480
    Blog Entries
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by SickaSalmon View Post
    I really like mods. Takes 30+mins to load the table. It is a problem. I wish there was a way to consolidate the files.
    Welcome

    It's not about consolidating the modules. Its about how much content you are asking your computer to load. If you ask for millions of data objects, its going to take 30 minutes to load your table.

    Reconsider if you really need everything loaded when you are playing. I keep multiple FG campaigns for my "play" campaign. I use these others as development campaigns, some have extensions loaded I don't normally load, some have story/chapter/location specific information (i.e. a module for a homebrew location) that I then export as a module and load/unload as needed in the play campaign.

    By doing all this, not only do I keep loading and in game performance acceptable, during play I don't have to struggle through a tens of thousands of NPCs or items or spells, I can re-use the content in other campaigns, and everything is easy to find because it's "organized"

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Starfinder Playlist

Log in

Log in