STAR TREK 2d20
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Quick question regarding Ultimate and hosting

Hey all thanks for the patience you're showing new people interested in Fantasy Grounds. I've also got a question regarding using this product. My group had migrated online and I want to be able to host them using an ultimate subscription. How does their character management work if I the DM use Fantasy Grounds classic with an ultimate license and purchase all the D&D 5e content.
    Do my players have access to the modules and character creation stuff through me? Or do I recreate their characters and then put them in the game.
    Again thank you to all the veteran users who have supported newbies in this challenging time.

Blog Entries
    Welcome

So yes, while connected to your game, players have access to any content that you allow them access to. Things like the PHB and the players options from SCAG, Volo's etc are shared by the players by default. You as the GM can chose to disallow sharing of such things, or you can share other things too (but not recommended! See below.) Content that is marked for sharing to players can then be Loaded by each player as desired.

Things like adventure modules you do not share with the players completely. Instead you share maps, images, items, etc as needed. Like at the table, when you give them a handout they get to see it, but they can't browse the module and see what's coming next

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Thank you so much for the indepth answer. This really sounds like the ultimate gaming tool. Wish I had heard of it earlier.

Quote Originally Posted by LordEntrails View Post
    Welcome

So yes, while connected to your game, players have access to any content that you allow them access to. Things like the PHB and the players options from SCAG, Volo's etc are shared by the players by default. You as the GM can chose to disallow sharing of such things, or you can share other things too (but not recommended! See below.) Content that is marked for sharing to players can then be Loaded by each player as desired.

Things like adventure modules you do not share with the players completely. Instead you share maps, images, items, etc as needed. Like at the table, when you give them a handout they get to see it, but they can't browse the module and see what's coming next
    Is this working as expected currently?

I’m running FGU and have to go through the lobby, since port forwarding isn’t working for me. When my players join (all using the free client) they can’t see any of the modules I load - we’re playing Starfinder and I’ve apparently loaded all the player-only options plus the SF Core book.

I had assumed that was part of the whole “beta-ness” problem, but should that be working properly for me?

If you want to share a whole book (like a reference book) for your players, you can do so. If you go in your Library, then Modules you can drag the little green check mark to books you want your players to be able to read. Note: Do NOT do this for the adventure module you have. This would let the players read everything in the module.

When you want to share a handout, or map, or other image, you can load up the image in your client, then right click it and then Share the sheet from the radial menu that comes up.

Yeah, I’m doing this.

The problem is the players can’t actually see anything that I have loaded and marked as player access.

I need to manually share each individual element before it shows up for them.

I’m not there, of course. But as I understand things if they click the class button on the right they can’t initially see “soldier” to be able to read it’s details or drag it to their PC. However I THINK that if I open it and share it then they can (they didn’t seem to understand what I was asking, so I’m not positive this worked).

Sounds like this is working properly for most people, just not for me?

When a module is shared, that just means that the player has permission from the GM to load the module in their view. The player will still need to load the module in the library after they've logged in.

Regards,
    JPG

Blog Entries
    After you mark them for sharing (if they do not default to shared) then the players each has to actually chose to load the module. Via Library > Module then click load. They won't automatically load for the players (would be a nice option though!)

I start talking about this about here in the Intro video. Take a look and see if this solves it for your players.
    https://youtu.be/QMOeEBS-_20?t=571

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Blog Entries
    Keep in mind also that your computer is sharing out the modules to your players' computers... the download/transfer still needs to take place. With current speeds this can happen quickly, but not everyone has as good an internet connection and if you have a bunch of people accessing all at once that will slow it down as well.
    "I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind."

- John Diefenbaker

RIP Canada, February 21, 2022

Thanks to you three. Sounds like we may have missed that required step. I'll try it out next time.
    Cheers.

Thread Information